Hi all

In my search for decent, cheap Tele copies I came across Jay Turser's guitars, and their Paisley Tele and Tele Custom Deluxe both look lovely for modding projects:

Cherryburst for the second one though.

On the JT site both are advertised as having solid wood bodies. Now, I was wondering if anyone knew what type of wood was used for them? I know unnamed wood tends to be a bad sign (ie. something like agathis) but sometimes I've known it to be something alright like basswood.

So, any help here?
Last edited by SugarRush66 at Jun 30, 2008,
I have a Turser LP and it's actually pretty good.
It's not plywood, at least, but I'm not sure if the front and rear are just laminates.
Sounds great though.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Just got an email from JT's regarding this very question - turns out both guitars are maple and basswood. I'm guessing maple front/back with a basswood centre.

Now, I know that these aren't top of the line woods, but I am right in saying that they're good enough if I was wanting to use these guitars as modding platforms, right? I mean, they're not agathis or anything ....
The second one looks pretty damn good for a Tele if you ask me.
Assuming the pickups I pulled from my JT were stock, I'd say they will be fairly decent as well.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I wrote a review on the deluxe on FrugalGuitarist.com. Real nice build quality. I have a contrarian view regarding tonewoods which you can read here. Don't worry too much about the wood. Play it and if it sounds good go with it. The traditional electric guitar tone wood choices were made by Leo Fender based on price and availability. Jay Turser guitars offer an excellent price performance ratio and most retailers now offer a no questions asked return policy if you don't like the guitar. Good luck!
I've had this J-400 Turser guitar for six years, original strings. Black and white, long neck, bare minimum concept. It's the sort of guitar that the Quakers and Puritans were playing at rock concerts in the 1700's. It's beautiful. Yeah, it's my first, left handed too. I practice and pluck the strings. The rosewood never cracked, it doesn't go out of tune much. I play for crap okay? I clean and shine it more than anything. I put it in the hands of semi-professional player. He laughed at it but made it sound like John Lennon was in my living room. So...while it is heavy, no one can blame the Turser for sound and I guess if you are going to swing it around on stage to keep back the fans, it's solid. Lovely thick clear maple. My technique is to write a few pages of a novel and then reward myself by playing a few chords. I hooked it up to a Peavey Mx 158 Bass Amp. I'd say if you aren't going to spend a thousand bucks - this is a beauty.
[forbidden link]
Did you serious bump a 4 year old thread man? For nothing?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I own a strat copy jay turser. ther are ok guitars
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)