Hi gang, long time reader, first time poster

I'm looking to upgrade my amp to an entry-level tube amp (maybe a Valveking 112) but am also considering purchasing a Pod xt at the same time. I currently own a Boss DS-1 and Overdrive pedal but like the idea of playing around with some new sounds and maybe recording some tracks on my PC.

My questions are:
If I'm using digital effects through the POD xt (say most of the time) am I wasting my money on buying a tube amp?
Will the tube amp improve the final output of sound (with effects) or degrade it?
If the tube amp is simply a waste, what non-tube amp around 50-100w would you recommend? Money is not really an issue but I don't need anything beyond my needs. (I realise this is pretty open question and probably answered a million times already!)

I use an Epiphone LP Custom, I play mainly rock, hard rock and blues, don't gig (only jam in the garage) and sometimes use headphones. I currently own a very old Peavey Rage which isn't suitable for jamming.

Thanks!
OK, next time I will actually do some of the work myself and search the forums. Seems like there's plenty of threads on this topic with varying opinions. Sorry.

That said, I'm now thinking about simply investing in a decent keyboard amp and using the Pod xt for all my fx. Comes out about the same price as an entry level tube amp and gives me loads more to play with.

Does this sound like a good approach? Would something like this suit?:

http://bavasmusic.com.au/store/behringer-ultratone-k900fx-p-1950.html

Thanks!
It depends what you're using the PodXT for.

IMO, if you buy a tube POWER AMP (WITHOUT a pre-amp), you can use the Pod as a pre-amp, and still have a nice tube-ish tone.

IIRC, there's a combo amp that doesn't have a pre-amp and is designed for having a multi-effects (such as a pod) is front of it.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I've had a XT Live, I sold it when I got my mesa F-50. Now alot of people use pods soley as multiple effects pedals with their tube amps, which is fine if you like alot of options. But I would worry about getting the nicest amp I could first, and effects second. I've also used my pod through a solid state amp on the clean channel, it's not that great. My suggestion is that you sell the pod, get a NICE tube amp, and worry about effects in the future.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
Quote by Simsimius

IMO, if you buy a tube POWER AMP (WITHOUT a pre-amp), you can use the Pod as a pre-amp, and still have a nice tube-ish tone.

like a backwards hybrid amp

as long as you are NOT using the amp modelers o nthe pod it'll be fine

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

as long as you are NOT using the amp modelers o nthe pod it'll be fine

why not?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I like my POD XTL better through my tube amp better then a PA or SS amp in most cases. The amp models work well also.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
if you're gigging...an atomic amp is pretty good....if not...a good set of studio monitors sounds killer with the pod....let the pod do whats its designed to do...i sold my atomic and now have a set of krk studio monitors for my apartment and i couldnt be happier...really
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by scott58
I like my POD XTL better through my tube amp better then a PA or SS amp in most cases. The amp models work well also.

Which model tube amp do you use? I assume no pre-amp and you switch the amp modelling off or do these still work too? Most of the threads here suggest this won't work.

Quote by twinturboaudi
i sold my atomic and now have a set of krk studio monitors for my apartment and i couldnt be happier...really

I assume these are powered monitor speakers?

Thanks
I would continue to use the DS1 as a distortion pedal, but run the Pod through the effects loop, if your amp has one.

Running time based effects in front of an amp sounds quite bad, unless it's only a clean amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
For the price of an entry level tube amp and a Pod, you may be able to afford a used Vetta amp. It's a really nice modeling amp that with Pod effects included.
the only real use i could see for a pod and a tube amp is if say u plyed blues and classic rock on a fairly low gain ampo and every now and again u just wanted to rock out metal style