What kind of amp head would have a similar sound to that of a Mesa Rectifier? By that, I mean something that can crank out the same amount of high distortion as a Mesa. I notice that Mesa's are pretty expensive and for now, I want something a little less costly that can do the job.
budget?
what style of music do you play?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Randall RG50tc?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I have a Mesa F-50, it's basically a not QUITE as brutal version of the rectifier with way better cleans and more versatilitly/convenience. I got mine in EXCELLENT condition with new JJ tubes on ebay for 700 including shipping.

By the way, I'm sure full on Rectifier brutality is achievable with a nice overdrive.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
Quote by helsinki_vampir
budget?
what style of music do you play?
I'd rather not spend over a grand but I could maybe a little.

I play mainly metal, rock, etc.
Diezel is very similar mesa I think they are way better personally but they cost between 3399 and 4499 bills bro
Mesa Rect-O-Verb combo should be able to be found in your price range used.

Rect-O-Verb > Single/Dual/Triple Recto imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by schecter ftw
B-52's.
Yea I was lookin at some on the GC site and people seem to like them for their distortion. I just want an amp that can crank it out so that I don't have to use many pedals or even pedals as all.

What about a 6505?
The B-52 AT series is voiced very similar to the Mesa Rectos, and in my opinion, have better cleans than the rectos.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
The B-52 AT series is voiced very similar to the Mesa Rectos, and in my opinion, have better cleans than the rectos.
There's a B-52 AT-100 (here) at GC. Looks pretty solid and its got good reviews.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mesa Rect-O-Verb combo should be able to be found in your price range used.

Rect-O-Verb > Single/Dual/Triple Recto imo.

+1

I see them all the time on Ebay for $700 to $1000
http://dallas.craigslist.org/msg/735681566.html

The 6505/5150 has as much gain as a Rectifier, but a vastly different gain structure. It's a lot darker, and a lot deeper sounding.

Also, Mesa cleans/OD > 6505. The 6505 only stands out in the 'chug' department.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by bdonovan
There's a B-52 AT-100 (here) at GC. Looks pretty solid and its got good reviews.

I've got the AT-212 combo, which is the exact same amp as the head, and I love the thing... You should definitely go try it out at your GC. Play with it for a while though..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
are you in the USA? that'll affect prices a lot... if you're in europe, there are loads of amps which are arguably as good (if not better) than the mesa for less cash. but in the USA, mesa are better value.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you in the USA? that'll affect prices a lot... if you're in europe, there are loads of amps which are arguably as good (if not better) than the mesa for less cash. but in the USA, mesa are better value.
Yea I'm in the US. Idk for now, I don't feel like paying nearly two grand for a head, because I'd probly get the dual rectifier. Even the single is a little pricey.
Quote by bdonovan
Yea I'm in the US. Idk for now, I don't feel like paying nearly two grand for a head, because I'd probly get the dual rectifier. Even the single is a little pricey.

Stop looking at new ones and buy used then.

You can easily get a Single Recto for under a grand, and a Rect-O-Verb combo in a similar price range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Reildeal

+1, speaking as a B-52 user, it is an excellent amp which has both spectacular cleans, and thick recto-like distortion. while the recto is better (i hope to own one someday), the B-52 definitely holds up, also pricewise, compared to the mesa (and many other amps) its an absolute steal
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
Quote by MatrixClaw
Stop looking at new ones and buy used then.

You can easily get a Single Recto for under a grand, and a Rect-O-Verb combo in a similar price range.

that's probably your best bet then, just be sure to check it out properly to make sure there's nothing wrong with it, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A used Mesa Boogie Mark III should also be in that price range.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
A used Mesa Boogie Mark III should also be in that price range.

I always though that 3s were really expensive but there is 3 of them on ebay right now for under $900 .

If I get another head anytime soon that's probably what I'll be getting.

I think that the older Mesa heads [90s] pretty much own newer Mesas in the gain department.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Also a Peavey Triple XXX would be a good amp that is very Rectifierish in its tone.
Quote by chase312
I always though that 3s were really expensive but there is 3 of them on ebay right now for under $900 .

If I get another head anytime soon that's probably what I'll be getting.

I think that the older Mesa heads [90s] pretty much own newer Mesas in the gain department.

I got mine for 530 $. they go somewhere between 500 to 800 or 900$.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
I got mine for 530 $. they go somewhere between 500 to 800 or 900$.

I want one so bad haha.
PM Gpderek09 to join!