so, after looking up toccata and fugue in the dictionary to see what they actually mean here are the explanations:

toccata: a virtuoso composition, usually for the organ or another keyboard instrument, in free style with brilliant passagework.

can anyone recommend a guitar toccata? are there any specifics in composition to writing a toccata - eg. scales, arpeggios, chords to be used etc?

fugue: a musical form consisting of a theme repeated a fifth above or a fourth below its first statement
classical, classical music, serious music - traditional genre of music conforming to an established form and appealing to critical interest and developed musical taste.

does that mean in a fugue i would have say, 1 bar of a melody then 1 bar of rest whilst its played a 5th higher/lower etc.
or;
have the melody going through for however many bars, 40 lets use for now and on the 2nd bar another voice/0instrument would play it higher/lower and would stop a bar late?

i doubt this has made sense but please try and answer.

tl;dr - how do i write a toccata or a fugue.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
too long; didn't read. if what he typed was too long, and you can't be arsed reading it, here is a summary.
sorry, was getting my gear set up , tl;dr means too long didnt read heh.

As far as toccata for guitar goes the best way for me to describe it to you is for you to listen to some of Yngwie Malmsteen's earlier works. (Intro to Hiroshima Mon Amour - Alcatrazz). You'll hear him do it usually when he breaks from the general rhythm of the song & puts something that souns like Paganini in the middle of the song. He usually does it before the guitar solo. Sometimes using it as a bridge for the song.
And a fugue - check out some J. S. Bach (They're even named Organ Fugue # ?) Deep Purple wrote a few songs around Bach's Organ Fugues. Highway Star & Burn are 2 of them.
Hope I helped.
thanks for the first advice RickDe

toccata is a virtuosic peice meant to show that the performer is good at their instrument

Fugue is where the main motif is traded off between the voices. It has to do with counterpoint, as in stuff thats ridiculously complicated.
Listen to Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor or Toccata & Fugue in D Minor. That should give you a good idea.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by demonofthenight
toccata is a virtuosic peice meant to show that the performer is good at their instrument

Fugue is where the main motif is traded off between the voices. It has to do with counterpoint, as in stuff thats ridiculously complicated.

True dat.

If you don't know what a Fugue is, you won't be able to write one. the sad truth. Work a lot on your music theory and learn counterpoint and listen to a crap load of Bach and you might be able to. Good luck TS.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
You write yourself a toccata, that means you are showcasing your all out best skills you can muster, you just go crazy on the guitar.

Two toccatas that come to mind are Steve Howe's (from the prog-rock band Yes) "Mood for a Day" and "the Clap," although I'm sure he could definitely do some other awesome stuff.

A fugue is like "Row Row Row your boat," in that several different musical voices repeat the melody at different intervals (of time) and at different harmonies. Of course, that is a pretty simple example and I wouldn't know the first way to go about writing a fugue, and neither will you most likely if you just learnt the definition today, no offense intended .
A fugue is not a musical form like a large classical form such as a sonata or symphony, rather it is a method of composition where the composer achieves a good sense of development by the means of (typically) 4 part counterpoint, although 3 and 5 voices are also common. If you are truly interested in learning to write in the fugal style, I suggest your first start in studying the Bach Inventions and Sinfonias, as well as buying a copy of Fux's Gradus Ad Parnassum before diving directly into the study of Bach's popular fugues (of which there are many, but if you want to look or listen, try the Well tempered clavier, Art of Fugue, or Musical Offering)