Sorry if this is in the wrong forum....

I just bought my first guitar, an ESP MH-50 Electric Guitar with Tremelo with LH-150 pickups. I like to dabble in all music playing really, yes I'm still learning but I want to have a wide variety under my belt and hone in on two or so genre's later. Metal, rock, punk, country, classical, really anything, put I'm planning on this guitar being my metal and rock guitar.

So my question is what is the first thing I should do with my guitar ie like replace the pickups, bridge, strings, that kinda stuff and what ones of each. Any help is grateful.

Thanks...
Erm,what's your amp?Get a new amp if it's a crappy one.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
id say get EMG's for the metal because they are active pups they will cover up the low quality wood in that guitar.
I haven't got an amp yet, I'm playing with a buddies at the moment but I'm gonna be getting the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT amp I think. Not sure heard alot of good things about it.
Quote by mrbungle50221
id say get EMG's for the metal because they are active pups they will cover up the low quality wood in that guitar.

As you can tell I'm pretty new to guitar, but does any EMG fit pretty much any guitar? Or are they certain EMG's for certain guitar's?
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
As you can tell I'm pretty new to guitar, but does any EMG fit pretty much any guitar? Or are they certain EMG's for certain guitar's?

well your guitar is a six stringer so any emg will do as long as it doesnt specifically say its for 7 strings or 8 strings most people use the EMG 81 and 85 combo which fit in any 6 string guitar, also the fact you are getting a valve amp will make the EMGs sound very sexy indeed
Quote by mrbungle50221
well your guitar is a six stringer so any emg will do as long as it doesnt specifically say its for 7 strings or 8 strings most people use the EMG 81 and 85 combo which fit in any 6 string guitar, also the fact you are getting a valve amp will make the EMGs sound very sexy indeed

Sorry for this, but Valvetronix aren't really valve amps, there's one valve in there, it doesn't make much of a difference, as most of the amp is digital
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
Sorry for this, but Valvetronix aren't really valve amps, there's one valve in there, it doesn't make much of a difference, as most of the amp is digital

ah ok well the emgs still will make an improvment over the lh-150 pup
So with the 81/85 combo you would just by both an EMG 81 and EMG 85 and install both?? Or just one goes on at a time?? And if both go which one would be closer to the fretboard?
^He isn't getting a valve amp.. He's getting a valvetronix, it's not tube.. EDIT: to mrbungle
And don't get EMG's, it's not the best sound for what you want to play, only for metal they are good, but there are other pickups which sound good for metal and also for country, clean, classic rock etc.
I'd say get the Valvetronix first, or maybe a Roland Cube, and then look what you don't like about your sound.
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
So with the 81/85 combo you would just by both an EMG 81 and EMG 85 and install both?? Or just one goes on at a time?? And if both go which one would be closer to the fretboard?

yes buy both and install both at once with the emgs you get new volume and tone pots, new output jack etc its probobly better to get them installed for you in a music shop if you dont know what yourre doing however they do come with simple instructions.

and to the guy saying emgs are bad, they do have a good clean tone you just have to turn the volume down a bit on your guitar so you dont push the signal into overdrive.

and the 85 goes in neck position (closer to fretboard) and the 81 goes in the neck position (furthest away from fretboard)

the reasoning is is that the 81 has higher output and more treble so it works better as a lead pickup which go in the bridge the 85 is much fatter and warmer so is better for rhythm so it goes in the neck.
Last edited by mrbungle50221 at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by WtrPlyr
^
And don't get EMG's, it's not the best sound for what you want to play, only for metal they are good, but there are other pickups which sound good for metal and also for country, clean, classic rock etc.
I'd say get the Valvetronix first, or maybe a Roland Cube, and then look what you don't like about your sound.

So I should wait on anything except for my AMP? Obviously the amp yeah but you wouldn't suggest anything else for the guitar? I accept any and all suggestions, but I get what your saying about my sound and decide where I want to go from there......
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
So I should wait on anything except for my AMP? Obviously the amp yeah but you wouldn't suggest anything else for the guitar? I accept any and all suggestions, but I get what your saying about my sound and decide where I want to go from there......

the people who say emgs are bad for cleans are just too lazy too turn down the volume on the guitar and to fiddle with the eq slightly, lots of blues players use EMGS

if you go on the emg website, www.emginc.com you can lister to what most of their pickups sound like on both distortion and clean

also because the pickups are active, there is much less ambient hum from the guitar(the noise it makes when you are not playing it) plus they are not as magnetic so they dont pull on the strings thus making them go out of tune, active pups have alot more benefits than just sound.
The problem with getting them done in a music shop is impossible. I am currently deployed. Down time I like to play guitar to relax. So if I got EMGs I would have to install them? Are there special tools I will need or will the instructions be pretty easy to follow for someone who has never done it?
It's just a bit of soldering.. But if you can't do that you can let someone do it for you. And to mrbungle, I'm not saying EMG's are bad, I'm just saying there are better pickups for his needs so I advise against them
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
The problem with getting them done in a music shop is impossible. I am currently deployed. Down time I like to play guitar to relax. So if I got EMGs I would have to install them? Are there special tools I will need or will the instructions be pretty easy to follow for someone who has never done it?

yes the instructions are pretty easy and all you need is a soldering iron, most places that sell the EMGs will actually install them for you free of charge (they did where i got mine) have you listened to the sound samples on the website? that can help you decide whick ones to get and whether you like the clean sounds just so you know the distortion actually sounds alot meatier when you play them, while still maintaining the clarity
Quote by WtrPlyr
It's just a bit of soldering..

Yeah the soldering might be a bit of a problem getting that done over here......hmm......might be able to do it though not sure....
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
Yeah the soldering might be a bit of a problem getting that done over here......hmm......might be able to do it though not sure....

i think you only need to solder a couple of parts as EMG's use a quick connect scheme where by most of the parts just clip to the wires, so you can change to different EMG pups without rewireing the whole thing, you can just pop out the pup.
Yeah I just listened to those clips....I really like the way the EMG 81 sounds clean and dirty. I like the crispness of the clean especially. And to me the EMG 85 sounds nasty dirty!! (In a good way) But you are sayin that you do install both of them huh.....do that have clip of that on that site...couldn't find one with both EMG 81 and 85 installed. Or is that just like a setting...were really only one matters at a time...both are neccassarily used at the same time...
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
Yeah I just listened to those clips....I really like the way the EMG 81 sounds clean and dirty. I like the crispness of the clean especially. And to me the EMG 85 sounds nasty dirty!! (In a good way) But you are sayin that you do install both of them huh.....do that have clip of that on that site...couldn't find one with both EMG 81 and 85 installed. Or is that just like a setting...were really only one matters at a time...both are neccassarily used at the same time...

on the site with the list of 81 85 etc theres one called "zw set" thats both the 81 and 85 together when you buy the zw set its cheaper than buying the pups seperately aswell.

EDIT: iv also found a wiring diagram for the ZW set http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMG-ZWset.pdf you will need diagram 3 for you mh-50 guitar (1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way toggle switch)
Hmm...just listened to the ZW set.....What if I like the 81 clean sound better than having both......but the dirty sound was better on the ZW set for me....Am I just gonna have to chose one or the other here.......

Oh btw thanks for all this help man...sorry for the dumb questions...
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
Hmm...just listened to the ZW set.....What if I like the 81 clean sound better than having both......but the dirty sound was better on the ZW set for me....Am I just gonna have to chose one or the other here.......

Oh btw thanks for all this help man...sorry for the dumb questions...

hey not at all i was asking the exact same questions when i was thinkinf of getting EMG's

if you like the clean sound better of the 81 then all you need to do is flick the toggle switch on your guitar so only the bridge position pup is being used (the 81) then if you prefer the sound of the dirty ZW set flick the toggle switch on your guitar to the middle so both pickups are being used, (the zw set is the EMG 81 and 85)
Man....I placing my order for EMG's now....You have answered everything I had questions about. I looked at the diagram...not much soldering at all very little..pretty sure I can get access to that over here...dude thank you very much....ughhh I can't wait to put them on already and hear it.....
hey no problem im happy to help people unlike most people on this board who are up their own arses and trust me EMG's sound even better in the flesh.
You are spending $200 on pickups when your entire guitar cost that much. You should just save up to buy a new guitar and amp or buy used. If you're lucky on eBay, you can snag a nice used guitar for under $200. I got mine for $100 and $150.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt