Page 1 of 2
I have a Fender Squire, and some of my friends think it's crap, but it looks the same as theirs and a guitars a guitar right? I mean, well there are guitars that are better because of humbuckets and might be gold tipped or whatever, but my guitar is solid and isn't breaking.
Any advice?
low build quality, bad wooedd,bad pups it may sound ok now but once you play something better you will realise how bad squires are
Ha. Humbuckets Doesn't matter what make your guitar is, it's how you play it. In my opinion a crap guitar is one that goes out of tune while you play it. (I have one of those too :p)

Edit: That said, a Fender would sound much better
Last edited by Scitzo Frenic at Jun 30, 2008,
You didn't say what kind of guitars they have, so I can't comment on whether or not theirs are actually, better. But as a past Squire owner I can tell you that not all guitars are created equally. Yours may look the same as a more expensive guitar but there's a massive difference is the quality of the wood, electronics, hardware, and build quality. There's nothing inherently wrong with your guitar, it's just cheap and doesn't sound or play as well as a better guitar. But that's fine. It's your first guitar. Most everyone starts out on a crappy guitar. So my advice is to not worry about it. Worry about learning to play well. Cause if you can learn to make a Squire sound good, you're gonna sound that much better when you upgrade.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
humbuckers dont make a guitar better.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance

Yes they do. Better pickups = better guitar
But better pickups could also be better single coils. So it's better pickups = better guitar, not humbuckers = better guitar. and humbuckers =/= better pickups (at least not all humbuckers)
Quote by TC1223
Yes they do. Better pickups = better guitar

Not if you get crappy humbuckers.
If humbuckers made guitars better, why would Strats & teles still exist?

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
Not if you get crappy humbuckers.
If humbuckers made guitars better, why would Strats & teles still exist?

humbuckers are better for certain kinds of music such as metal, single coils are better for certain kinds of music, its all down to personal preference, both have advantages and disadvantages.

humbuckers have less ambient noise and single coils are clearer, etc
Quote by mrbungle50221
low build quality, bad wooedd,bad pups it may sound ok now but once you play something better you will realise how bad squires are

This man is a Squire hater, Squires (Affinitys) are made out of the same wood Fender strats are made out of but Bullets are made out of plywood and crap. They probably have a Fender Strat.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist
This man is a Squire hater, Squires (Affinitys) are made out of the same wood Fender strats are made out of but Bullets are made out of plywood and crap. They probably have a Fender Strat.

no squires are a cheap budget guitar brand to keep prices low they have to have low quality wood, pups and hardware.

they made be made of the same species of wood as fenders but the quality of it is worse then the wood they put in fenders.

and i have an ESP and Jackson btw i dont like fenders or squires but i acknowledge that fenders are a high quality, good guitar brand i just personally prefer ESP's and Jacksons
Last edited by mrbungle50221 at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by mrbungle50221

and i have an ESP and Jackson btw i dont like fenders or squires but i acknowledge that fenders are a high quality, good guitar brand i just personally prefer ESP's and Jacksons

That makes your opinion null and void.

The Squier bass' are pretty good, but I've never really tried the guitars I believe though that they are better than some of the other beginners gear.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
it doesnt make my oppinion null and void because i prefer another brand of guitar, i know that fenders are high quality instruments, and i know squires are bad, you get wahat you pay for with guitars unless its an LTD they are very good quality for the price you pay
Personally I find ESPs (the LTD variant anyway) lower end stuff to be pretty shoddy, but the models after about 400 are pretty good as well as some of the sigs, I tried an M-400 I believe and I was suprised by it as previously I'd only tried the 50 and 100 model, but I do agree that some of the LTDs are great just depends which one you get. I own an Ibanez RG and its a pretty decent guitar, not absolutely brilliant. However I think the really cheap Squiers are complete and utter **** but the newer Vintage modern and Classic vibe models are pretty amazing considering there Squier. But thats more so for bass, I'm less of a guitarist anyway so for me ESP & Jackson are pretty shoddy brands and I'd much rather go for a Musicman or a Warwick.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by dancesisidance
They do when they're coil-tapped Swineshead A.M.P. humbuckers. Both humbuckers and true singe coils in one pickup, and they can be custom made to fit your exact specifications. You can't beat that with anything.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Who say humbuckers are better than single coils... Single coils FTW!

Actually I like both, i see an advantage in both...
Quote by CrackerJack465
Amps dont matter.
NeWb!
Last edited by thale84 at Jun 30, 2008,
TS if your happy with then who cares what others say. Not everybody has the extra money or parents willing to buy expensive guitars. And humbuckers dont make a guitar better they just get rid of 60 cycle hum.
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Awildgoose
I have a Fender Squire, and some of my friends think it's crap... my guitar is solid and isn't breaking...
So whats the problem?

To call a guitar "crap" because its a lesser or cheap model is stupid and obtuse. Your friends are crap for judging your instrument selection
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by KISSguitarist

The NEW bullets(post 2007) with tremolo, are made out of basswood.
Solid basswood, 3 peice bodies.
No plywood.
The trem isn't bad, so long as you dump the stock springs and put in a better set.
The elctronics on the bullet total suck.
But a GFS prewired pickguard and input jack, and two solders can fix that really nicely.
Very solid guitar if you're gonna start out modding and don't want to start on a 400 dollar epi.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Someone please, show me a plywood Squier...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by cobain_is_king

sigged.

Quote by cobain_is_king
I have a Squire and it's cool. Wouldn't get rid of it and I have better guitars.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Quote by Lil Macker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_Bullet

Read that, it says there is plywood bits, I think.

Just a question, I'm not gonna buy one, but what are the Squier Standard Strats like?

"To refute previous criticisms of modern Bullets being made using mystery plywood, the guitar is now being made using solid Basswood."

Learn to read.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
"To refute previous criticisms of modern Bullets being made using mystery plywood, the guitar is now being made using solid Basswood."

Learn to read.

I have the Tobacco Sunburst I guess.(Looks like one I saw Keith Richards with) and it's made of basswood.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Quote by Iansmitchell

Learn to read.

Don't look at me, I skim web pages!

I'm already reading a book for English that I'm not paying attention to!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
A Great Starter Strat!
The Squier® Bullet® Strat® solidbody electric is a great guitar for beginners and experienced players alike. Phenomenally affordable and great-sounding, the Bullet Strat is easy to play, which is essential to keep the interest of those just getting started on guitar. It features a basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, plus three single-coil Strat pickups and a 1-volume/2-tone control arrangement just like its big brothers. A cool tremolo bridge and 5-position pickup switch round out the great features on the Squier Bullet Strat®.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
what squier is it, bullets and standards are ****
dav, bullets are made from ply, the worst next to chips.
Last edited by n47713 at Jun 30, 2008,
I've been playing 25+ years & my main gigging guitar is a Squier:

an '06 Mahogany HSS Strat that I bought from overstock.com for $90, to be precise. I've upgraded it with a pre-wired pickguard from GFS and an LR Baggs X-bridge (piezo).

It plays/ sounds loads better than my 80's MIJ Fender Strat (I added the Carvin Neck & Wilkinson trem back in the early 90's):

And this guitar hasn't been out of the house for a gig in almost a year:

Yep, Squier guitars are pure crap

To the OP, your friends are idiots.
Okay, let's cut the silly humbucker crap and get to what is important here:

1) Your guitar is a great starter instrument. Period. It is way more instrument than many of us here had as our first guitar. What's next? Are these the same "friends" that will later be giving you crap for having a solid-state amp instead of tubes? Tell your friends to pack sand. It only matters how it sounds to YOU.

2) No one should be upgrading their instrument because some one told you so. You acquire instruments because you are seeking something sonically. Therefore, my recommendation is to play the crap out of the Squire. Don't worry about upgrading anything until you get to the point where "what you got is not getting you to where you want to go" sonically. And you will know you're there without having anyone having to tell you.

3) As always... it is not what you got, but what you do with it. As soon as you forget that, you will become lost.
Quote by n47713

Serious, mines basswood and pretty solid. I've held some pretty cheap guitars in my day but I have no complaints about it. I held a First Act that I literally pinched a dent into and I'm a giant mo fo. Honestly I love it.

Does it sound like my cousin's LP that I use when I go to his house? Absolutely NOT but I haven't done anything to it. He (my cousin teaches music and works in a local guitar shop) and he told me "I'll have that thing sounding hot if you want!"

I think it can be improved upon but it's not a total lost cause.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Quote by n47713

Look man, I've taken a hacksaw to one, I know basswood from plywood.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by sinofian

Damn!
That's one fine looking strat.
Do they still make the mahogany strats or not?
The GFS prewired HH guard sound as good as it looks?

Quote by cobain_is_king
I think it's just fashionable to bash Squier because it's not as expensive. It's a shame because they are quality guitars IMO.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Quote by Dav23
I think it's just fashionable to bash Squier because it's not as expensive. It's a shame because they are quality guitars IMO.

+1

Quote by cobain_is_king
Page 1 of 2