I'm trying to push myself on the theory side of things, but I'm finding it kind of difficult.

I figured maybe it would be easier to look at the theories most relevant to my favourite guitarists first, so there's a bit more of a personal drive to understand these things.

So what are the main theories/concepts of Hendrix and SRV?
Doesn't really work that way - everything leads back to the major scale so you need to have that foundation knowledge before exploring anything else in any detail.

Try the Crusade articles in the Columns section to get you started.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Tomaz24
I'm trying to push myself on the theory side of things, but I'm finding it kind of difficult.

I figured maybe it would be easier to look at the theories most relevant to my favourite guitarists first, so there's a bit more of a personal drive to understand these things.

So what are the main theories/concepts of Hendrix and SRV?
Assuming you know the foundations of theory...

Hendrix liked to outline his chords using pentatonics and arpeggios and supplement this with grace notes and quick licks. His chord progressions would move around in thirds and seconds quite alot (at least in comparison to most other music), I guess outlining the chords instead of playing them outright allows you to move around the chords easier.
He also substituted some of his dominant chords for X7add#9 chords (think the weird chords in purple haze). He did alot more, but at the moment the only songs of his coming to mind are little wing, castles made of sand and purple haze.

His solo's normally follow the pentatonic scale and would use a few out of key notes.
^ +1

Learn how your chords fall into your scales.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz