Hi guys,

I'm well happy with the above guitar that I bought a few months back. However, I recently read somewhere that I should replace the strings with a much better set as the ones that come with the guitar are not that good.

Anyone have any recommendations as to what I should get?

I play mainly rock stuff on it. A bit of strumming/picking etc..

Cheers,

Joe.
GHS Phosphor/Bronze...best acoustic strings in the world
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Theres been a ton of string recommendation threads...try searching the forums. My personal favourites are either Elixir Polywebs or D'Addario EXPs.
D'Addario phosphor bronze lights. great strings and you get 3 sets for the same price as you can get 1 set of elixirs or d'addario's exp's. (personally i think they sound better too) they wont last as long but the 3 sets will last longer than the 1 set of exp's will.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I got a Pair of D'Addario Ej16 lights for free on that midnight sale that was going on at Guitar Center , but im wondering if I should take the strings off my new Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ500M
or just go ahead and put on those D'Addarios. What should I do that would benefit my guitar?
Alright guys. Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I've gone with the EJ16's since most people recommended them.

Cheers,

Joe.
From a total beginner perspective, is it better to change string straight away, or use the stocks for a while to use as reference point?

Again, from a total beginner perspective, how noticeable is the change in tone?

I will probably try various brands over time, but I would ideally like to start with one that is easier to play, so long as the changes in tones are subtle (most of the horrid sound I'll hear at the start will be user induced). I am partly tempted to start with Elixir super light coated string. I've read some describe super light strings as 'tiny/thin', and Elixir string as 'soul-less'. Yet most seem to agree they last a long time. Since I don't see myself changing string much in the first few months (as I learn chords etc.), I am willing to sacrifice some tonality for playability.. But that's only if they are not so awful that I would notice it (afterwards, I would try D'Addario light/custom light).
Last edited by AxBattler at Jul 4, 2008,
martin 12 gauge,not too brutal on begginers fingers anything above that and it will sound too loud and anything lower are more likely to snap if you strum too hard,i have this info in good faith from a mate of mine who has played 4 nearly 10 years and also a local guitar shop owner
Quote by AxBattler
From a total beginner perspective, is it better to change string straight away, or use the stocks for a while to use as reference point?

Again, from a total beginner perspective, how noticeable is the change in tone?

I will probably try various brands over time, but I would ideally like to start with one that is easier to play, so long as the changes in tones are subtle (most of the horrid sound I'll hear at the start will be user induced). I am partly tempted to start with Elixir super light coated string. I've read some describe super light strings as 'tiny/thin', and Elixir string as 'soul-less'. Yet most seem to agree they last a long time. Since I don't see myself changing string much in the first few months (as I learn chords etc.), I am willing to sacrifice some tonality for playability.. But that's only if they are not so awful that I would notice it (afterwards, I would try D'Addario light/custom light).

regarding the first few lines of your post the more you pay 4 strings i would assume the better they would be, but the ones i bought(martin 12 gauge) seem ok to me,they are quite durable and ive never snapped them whilst playing, if in doubt go to your local guitar shop and and tell him the make and model of your guitar and im sure they couldadvise you better, hope this has been of use to you