At the moment I have a mesa F30 which I got awhile ago and I'm now starting some pretty heavy gigging/some recording and want another amp to run with it (ABY box)
I'm thinking something that isn't American voiced, probably bluesy/rock cleans and medium distortion, originally I was thinking Orange AD30HTC, but I got some more money and want your opinions, (I read the sticky on amps and it said look outside of Marshall's, mesa's etc.)
So I want to know of some less known brands, I can pay more if i need to.

Im influenced by Iron maiden, Vai, satch, John Petrucci, clapton, knopfler, eric johnson, RHCP, santana and a fair bit of blues (SRV, bb king etc)
What would you recommend

edit: I'm going to remove my budget as I can really spend more then $3000, I can actually spend as much as is needed, I just put that in as a guide (What i thought i would want to pay) but now i will pay a lot more...
Last edited by mulefish at Jul 1, 2008,
ceriatones, oranges, i think santana played a dumble

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Try looking into Diezel, ENGL, Bogner... Hughes and Kettner, maybe?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Now, I'm not a metal guy my self... but I have heard these get some great crunchy tones. And sound good rolled back for blues... I personally have never played one, but have heard good of them many times.

So, if I am way off base just tell me, don't yell... just tell me.

Head: Kustom Double Cross Head - $1,599.99

Cab: Kustom '72 Coupe 412
*Slant or Straight*
4x12 w/
Celestion *Vintage 30s or G12P80s* - $1,029.99

Kustom Website: http://www.kustom.com/product_type.aspx?TypeID=2&Tab=0
Quote by CrackerJack465
Amps dont matter.
NeWb!
Last edited by thale84 at Jun 30, 2008,
maybe you misunderstood me a bit, I don't want something high gain as such, I'm more interested in bluesy, lightly pushed cleans and fairly light distortion, that can do classic British metal (iron maiden - but they don't use huge amounts of gain)
Marshall JCM800 or Plexi FTF'NW

slash_edit: and by Marshall i mean 'Ceriatone Copy' of course
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Splawn Quickrod, Competition, or Superstock

Mako Makoplex

Port City Dual 50

If you're influenced by Petrucci, have you considered selling the F-30 for a Roadking or Mark IV...something petrucci actually used. With $3000, and being a Petrucci fan, you should ebay for a Mark IIC+
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
A Used Diezel Einstein will go in the 2000s range. if your willing to put in another 399 you can get a brand new Diezel Einstein. The Diezel Einstein can cover nice cleans and blues over drive to crushing death metal tones plus everything in between.
VHT G-100-UL Pittbull Ultra-Lead
$3440 new, listed at $4200.

Absolutely my favorite head.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Stratmaster458
A Used Diezel Einstein will go in the 2000s range. if your willing to put in another 399 you can get a brand new Diezel Einstein. The Diezel Einstein can cover nice cleans and blues over drive to crushing death metal tones plus everything in between.

diezel's are sick!!! also check out cornford and bogner and soldano, and omg EVERY BRAND at that price range just play till you fall in love man
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by chase312
VHT G-100-UL Pittbull Ultra-Lead
$3440 new, listed at $4200.

Absolutely my favorite head.

that's a nice amp, i actually got to try one before o
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
i notice bad cats have custom amps coming soon, is that like custom guitars - like you get to choose like everything you want?
Should i save up for one of them (i assume they are like lots)
Any other brands to look at?
John Mayer's Gear

Amplifiers and Cabinets
- “John Mayer Signature Series Two Rock” amp heads
- Dumble Overdrive Special amp head
- Two Rock 2×12 guitar cabinets
- Leslie cabinet
- Victoria Bassman Clone (45-410 model)
- Victoria Reverberato Head
- Fender Super Reverb Blackface

Frusciante (RHCP)

Amps and Cabinets
- Marshall Silver Jubilee 100W for his "crunch" channel (similar to the 2203 pictured below)

- 200W Marshall Major (clean sound) (KT 88 tubes)
- Marshall 1960's (A and B) cabs

- 1965 Fender Reverb head

Here's all I could find on EJ. I'd say he's probably got the most diverse sounds out of all that you mentioned.

Eric Johnson is best known for playing stock Fender Stratocaster and Gibson ES-335 electric guitars through a triple amp setup that consists of Fender Amplifiers, Dumble Amplifiers, and Marshall amplification along with effects pedals such as a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, TC Electronic Stereo Chorus, Dunlop Cry Baby wah-wah, Electro-Harmonix Memory Man Delay, an MXR Digital Delay, a Line 6 Echo Pro Studio Modeler, and a Maestro Echoplex tape delay of which all are connected to multiple A/B boxes to create sounds and tones that are both clean and distorted; Although the majority of Eric's setup is predominantly vintage, he has recently started using more modern effects including a stereo chorus made by Analog.Man and a JTM45 vintage handwired re-issue from Marshall.
4 words.

Soldano. Super. Lead. Overdrive.

Seriously. Despite the name and the high gain-ness, you can coax a sexy blues tone out of it (like Warren Haynes does).
Budda Superdrive!
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Soldano Slo 100
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by tenaciousjp
Soldano Slo 100

lots of people say this but i thought it was a huge gain amp?
whats the clean/crunch like?

Also I'm going to remove my budget as I can really spend more then $3000, I can actually spend as much as is needed, I just put that in as a guide (What i thought i would want to pay) but now i will pay a lot more...

So I want to know the best amps for bluesy cleans/crunch with a smooth creamy overdrive that is fairly light, don't really care about wattage (thinking between 30-100)
Bogner Ecstacy
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah