Hey, i heard that Rivers Cuomo from Weezer did this thing where he had people enter in music theyd written, whether on an instrument or just lyrics, and they gradually wrote a song, and i think eventually they even made a music video for it. Anyway, my brother just showed me the finished product and it's awesome. I seriously cannot believe that it was composed entirely of random clips of music from people who never spoke face to face

Anyway, although I'm already aware that this project was coordinated by Rivers, who is most likely familiar with songwriting and such, I figure there's got to be enough talent lying around the UG Forums to at least attempt this. I'm not entirely clear yet on the specifics of it, but I figure it would be kinda like a snowball effect, we get one awesome riff, then people just build on it from there. By the way, it wouldn't have to be a guitar riff either, it could just be a sweet bassline or catchy lyrics. Hell, if you've got an accordion and a tape recorder, you'd be much appreciated here. Anyway, anyone who's interested, or just has some original music on tape they don't mind donating, please post anything at all you can come up with. Seriously anything.

And yes, i know it sounds kind of dumb, and your proabably picturing me as some boy scout thinking that everyone should just work together the good ol fashion republican pro-war american way, but honestlys im proabably more like you than you think, and call me crazy, but i think this is a cool idea.

As for how to post your music, I believe theres a way you can link an zip file, so you could just attach your mp3 to that and post it.if not, just videotape yourself playing it, put it on youtube and put a link to the video on the thread and i know a website that can extract mp3s from youtube videos.

Any commentary is coool, because I thought this whole thing up in around five minutes, so if im wasting my time here, give me a sign.

Peace, and remember, this is for UG, the best dam tab site i kno
Gear

Peavy 4x12
Customized strat(EMG humbuckers)
More effect pedals than i kno what to do with, mainly use digitech whammy, rat distortion, vox wah, mxr phase 90, vintage 70's big muff(best present i ever got)

self taught and proud of it
This could work, but it would need someone or a group of people to be in charge of actually calling the shots on how everything fit together. Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a group and a thread dedicated to this. Also it would be a good idea to have contributions notated or tabbed, then you find some band who would be willing to learn and record it on UG.
I myself am willing to help out, but this project could require a lot of time.

Please could you tell me where I can find the song you mentioned?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by turtlewax at Jun 30, 2008,
I think the video was called "Let's Write A Song" or something along the lines of that. If you don't find it just go to weezer.com and look back a few weeks in the news updates, itll probly have a link.

Yea...im probly gonna hold out on puttin together a group until i get a few more posts but thats awesum u wanna help out what do u play
Gear

Peavy 4x12
More effect pedals than i kno what to do with, mainly use digitech whammy, rat distortion, vox wah, mxr phase 90, vintage 70's big muff(best present i ever got)

I heard about Cuomo's efforts, but apparently he was meticulous to the point of obsession with the project and it took a lot of time and effort which frankly I don't think UG has.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I play electric guitar in my band retroblaze. www.myspace.com/retr0blaze

I'm the guy with the Ibanez RG
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
yea, i suppose it would be pretty time consuming, but only for those who are assembling and organizing all the recorded material. 99% of the participants will do next to nothing. That's actually kind of the beauty of it. Oh and i would be glad to volunteer to coordinate and organize all the music that comes in.
Gear

Peavy 4x12

Yeah this is gonna be a challenge. I propose we start some kind of commitee.
We then need to do the following:

1.decide on a style for the song, I would suggest hard rock, classic metal as this would be easier to do
2.Think of a name for the song
3. Think of the instruments in the song, lets say drums, guitars, bass, vocals. Perhaps keyboard
4. We need a riff or lyrics to kick things off
5.assign people into different groups-so we have the guitarists working on the guitar part and people doing lyrics etc
6.These groups need tp also work collectively so everyone knows how its all gonna fit together
7.finally, someone notates the full song with guitar pro and we find a band who will record and upload it (I would volunteer my band, but we just don't have the recording facilities. Plus its £20 an hour to rent studio time around here)

Simple eh?
yea we should also decide on a rough estimate for time and progression(ie intro verse chorus verse chorus solo chorus outro) and does anyone reading this have guitar pro, becasue if not ill start downloading it tonite. oh and my mates are over for a jam. probly get a few decent riffs out of it.
Gear

Peavy 4x12

does anyone reading this have guitar pro,

Didn't you just say it sucked in that PM lol. Anyway, how we gonna get anyone else in with this. My freind's a drummer so he could maybe come up with drum parts. We need at least two extra people on this
here it is, the first harvest of this seemingly fruitless idea. Our very own little riff is on my profile under my mp3s.....i'm actually proud
Gear

Peavy 4x12

Sounds good, but i wouldn't be sure where to take it. We still need to get more people in on this before we get serious
yea it was just a spur of the moment thing, im actually really more into your idea of a more classic rock kind of vibe, considering that most musicians are familiar with it...also it just so easy to write a really good sounding classic rock song with just power chords
Same here, thats what I meant