Page 1 of 2
LONDON (Reuters) - A student who scribbled an expletive on an English language exam paper was awarded 7.5 percent for accurate spelling and effective communication, The Times newspaper reported on Monday.

The pupil, who wrote "f--- off" after being asked in an English exam to "describe the room you are sitting in", got 2 marks out of 27 and would have got more if he had added some punctuation, chief examiner Peter Buckroyd told The Times.

"It does show some very basic skills we are looking for -- like conveying some meaning and some spelling," said Buckroyd, who works for the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance examinations board. "It shows some nominal skills but no relevance to the task".

"If it had had an exclamation mark it would have got a little bit more because it would have been showing a little bit of skill".

According to The Times, to gain minimum marks in English GSCE papers -- an exam taken by hundreds of thousands of 16-year-olds across England every year -- pupils must demonstrate "some simple sequencing of ideas" and an ability to put "some words in appropriate order".

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080630/tuk-uk-britain-exam-fa6b408.html

Great, more reasons for the media to bitch about easier marks and papers.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I have two thoughts.

1. Sixteen year olds are either held to a lesser standard than they are here in the US, or they are simply absolutely retarded. They could be both.

2. The Times must employ said retarded sixteen year olds to fill empty journalist and editorial positions.
Who cares? Give the idiot 2 marks. It's not like it'll give him an unfair advantage over other people.
I wish it was that easy to pass English at my school. Because if I could literally write "fuck off" as an essay it would save me a lot of mental anguish.

Although the SATs essays and such are really pretty easy anyway. I mean, I didn't even study for the SATs and I got a 2070...its's not even worth it to take the piss out of a standardized test.
Last edited by flame843 at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Great, more reasons for the media to bitch about easier marks and papers.

yup.

Universities raise their grade boundaries so students try harder to get the place they want and therefore get better grades as a result. When this happens to lots of students and grades increase across the nation, what's going on? Of course, the exams MUST be getting easier.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
who cares? he didn't pass, he got 7.5% on that question unlike the people who answered it who probably got upwards of 70%
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
French GCSE is so easy to get an A* in.
You pretty much just have to write your name on the paper to get the mark. I have to do it a year early though
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by denizenz
I have two thoughts.

1. Sixteen year olds are either held to a lesser standard than they are here in the US, or they are simply absolutely retarded. They could be both.

2. The Times must employ said retarded sixteen year olds to fill empty journalist and editorial positions.

HAHAHAHAHA
Yes, 1 16 year old idiot means americans are smarter.

and to those who said 'I wish tests were that easy to pass at my school, he failed, hard.
Plus I doubt he'll get into college without an english pass (the story says english lang so I don't really know). It's been a while since I did my GCSE's.
Quote by isabiggles
French GCSE is so easy to get an A* in.
You pretty much just have to write your name on the paper to get the mark. I have to do it a year early though

Did you have AQA? The reading paper was all multiple choice apart from the english bit, and almost the same in the writing paper. It was strnage because our french group was just as disgusted as our french teacher. The exams are becoming easier.
NOPE.
Quote by stephen_rettie
HAHAHAHAHA
Yes, 1 16 year old idiot means americans are smarter.

and to those who said 'I wish tests were that easy to pass at my school, he failed, hard.

Your subpar reading comprehension isn't helping your case any.

According to The Times, to gain minimum marks in English GSCE papers -- an exam taken by hundreds of thousands of 16-year-olds across England every year -- pupils must demonstrate "some simple sequencing of ideas" and an ability to put "some words in appropriate order".

My 2 year old niece can do that with her speech and she'll be able to write by the time she's 5 or 6.
Quote by saphrax
I can just see this kid lauging about it at school with his other chav mates...

How do you know it was a chav?
thats does sound like Kindergarten.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Sol9989
yup.

Universities raise their grade boundaries so students try harder to get the place they want and therefore get better grades as a result. When this happens to lots of students and grades increase across the nation, what's going on? Of course, the exams MUST be getting easier.

Idon't think exams are getting easier but you have to agree that the marking is becoming a joke..can you imagine 10 years ago getting marks for writing **** Off without the exclamation mark
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
how hard is it to describe a room?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by shredmeiser101
how hard is it to describe a room?

I know, he could have done so much better.
French getting easier!!!!!!!! I did edexcel and it was really pressured, we had loads to do for the speaking test, a 60 second presentation and about 80 questions to prepare coz wed be asked random ones, you oculdnt predict, the writing was two task one write 80 words the next 170, the listening paper and reading were just as difficult
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Well, he is entitled to those 2 marks, as what he wrote does fulfill the criteria for the minimum marks. Although maybe they should change it to "simple sequencing of ideas relevant to the question, with correct spelling and punctuation."

With thinking like that, I can get Ed Ball's job.
Quote by flame843
I wish it was that easy to pass English at my school. Because if I could literally write "fuck off" as an essay it would save me a lot of mental anguish.

Because getting 7.5% of the marks is totally a pass grade...
Quote by alex-led-zepp91
Idon't think exams are getting easier but you have to agree that the marking is becoming a joke..can you imagine 10 years ago getting marks for writing **** Off without the exclamation mark

The exams are getting easier. Get your hands on an exam paper from ten years ago and compare it with today's equivalent. The grade lines were much higher too. The school I went to used to give us old exam papers to test us and used the old marks scheme for these test so by the time it came to take the GCSE and A level exams for real, we all laughed at how easy they were. BREEZED through them.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Oh man, I wish they did that at 'uni. For our module "Relativity II and Mechanics" we had a lecturer called Prof. Winlove and after I was about to leave the final exam, and knew I'd messed it up, I wrote "It's better to have Winloved and lost than never to have done Relativity II and Mechanics at all".

I failed that exam
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Oh man, I wish they did that at 'uni. For our module "Relativity II and Mechanics" we had a lecturer called Prof. Winlove and after I was about to leave the final exam, and knew I'd messed it up, I wrote "It's better to have Winloved and lost than never to have done Relativity II and Mechanics at all".

I failed that exam

Did you get enough on the coursework to have the module compensated?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Did you get enough on the coursework to have the module compensated?

We don't do coursework, we just had 10% on "problems class" homeworks and 20% on a mid-semester test. I didn't do great in them, but the pass was condoned because my average for the year was still a pass.... just. I got 44% for the year

I've got a meeting with the uni' disability resources department to get an official ADHD assessment; hopefully they'll diagnose me and then help me work out ways for me to concentrate
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by GuitarManDan15
French getting easier!!!!!!!! I did edexcel and it was really pressured, we had loads to do for the speaking test, a 60 second presentation and about 80 questions to prepare coz wed be asked random ones, you oculdnt predict, the writing was two task one write 80 words the next 170, the listening paper and reading were just as difficult

I did the exact same, and it was fine. You just suck at French.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Technically he did fufill the criteria to get those marks.
My english teacher always said you never lose marks, only pick them up.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Two out of twenty-seven? They were probably just being gracious, so he wouldn't have a zero.
it says to get minimum marks you need the ideas, word order and spelling, proof UG can't read worth crap.
Quote by Yakult
We don't do coursework, we just had 10% on "problems class" homeworks and 20% on a mid-semester test. I didn't do great in them, but the pass was condoned because my average for the year was still a pass.... just. I got 44% for the year

I've got a meeting with the uni' disability resources department to get an official ADHD assessment; hopefully they'll diagnose me and then help me work out ways for me to concentrate

Hopefully they will. Or at least give you some form of mark compensation. And don't worry about that 44%. I only got 52.5% this year, but it's only worth 1/3 of the overall grade, and the trend is that people suck in the 2nd year and blossom in the 3rd.
That's kind of funny, disrespectful, but hey...who am I to talk?

Maybe the kid had a bad day...or many?
i'm more disgusted at the easiness of the question than at the kid's answer. we didn't get doss questions like that when i did GCSEs, we had real questions.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
How did he get spelling credit? It's fuck. Not f---.
And you Brits say us Americans are butchering the language.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 2