I recently bought one of the new dual pick up melody makers from Musician's Friend, I really like the feel and action, I even like the plain rough finish on it but I want to upgrade from the single coils to the single sized humbuckers.
I really don't know much about this stuff so my questions are..........
Everything I can find says "Strat" is that what I'm looking for?
Does Strat just describe the style or actually what it is made to fit?
And finally if that is what I'm looking for what are some opinions of the DiMarzio pickups or could you make some recommendations?
I like rock, metal and heavy metal.

Thanks for the help.
Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or Cool Rails.
try lace sensors.
and pickup websites use Strat to refer to single coils.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
what amp do you use?
Quote by leviticus_22953
what amp do you use?

I have a Crate RFX30 combo, looking to possibly upgrade later but it works for now, I primarily play at home for my own enjoyment.
take a look at the pickups i mentioned.
Actually, Melody Makers DONT use regular sized single coils, you CANT just drop some strat pickups in there. There are a few builders that make Melody Maker sized replacements, but none of your mainstream companies.
Quote by makuserusukotto
Actually, Melody Makers DONT use regular sized single coils, you CANT just drop some strat pickups in there. There are a few builders that make Melody Maker sized replacements, but none of your mainstream companies.

So to use the pick ups above I'd have to open up some more area?
Quote by TulsaBear
So to use the pick ups above I'd have to open up some more area?

Yes, because on Strat SC's and just about all other SC's they have that triangular base, the Melody Maker dosnt.
Quote by makuserusukotto
Yes, because on Strat SC's and just about all other SC's they have that triangular base, the Melody Maker dosnt.

Thanks, that's good to know.
I've noticed that in the pics on line but I haven't had mine apart to see what it looks like inside.
Quote by makuserusukotto

BTW, would you happen to have any recommendations about what pick ups to try?
I looked at the ones already suggested and like what the adds have to say and what the user feedback has to say as well.

I'm really new to modifying and relatively new to playing as well so I have a lot to learn.
Thanks
Quote by TulsaBear
BTW, would you happen to have any recommendations about what pick ups to try?
I looked at the ones already suggested and like what the adds have to say and what the user feedback has to say as well.

I'm really new to modifying and relatively new to playing as well so I have a lot to learn.
Thanks

I'd say try the BG's. Really good value for your money there,
Quote by makuserusukotto
Here you go.
BG Makes some really nice pickups, never tried his Melody Maker pickups, but if there like the Hb's he makes, there ace. http://www.bg-pups.com/mm90.html
And, i didnt know this, but Seymour Duncan makes a replacement too. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/specialized-1/melody_maker_si/

Ignore my last post I was a little late. LOL