Well, I've been trying to get a recording set up for some time, and the more I research it, the more confused I become .

Anyway, I think I may have found a solution, but I need to know if it will work.

So, I will be recording 4 seperate tracks (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, e-drums and bass) and may expand to 5 (add vocals).

I found this 8-Track Hard Drive recorder:
http://www.imusician.co.uk/musicstore/s19351/0/Digital-Recording/KORG/Korg-D888-8-Track-Recorder---40GB-Hard-Drive/details.aspx

Pic:

Now, can I feed the 2 guitars, edrums and Bass directly into that using line in inputs, then use the outputs to feed the sound into my PA/Amp, so that all instruments are coming out of that (so we can hear what we are playing) whilst recording on the Korg?
A large image of the Korg can be found here which shows all inputs/outputs:
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/D888_top-bd240031d9e980af52ef6d1a7959932c.jpg

Also, I see the korg has gain settings, will this allow for a light overdrive/distortion on the guitars when recorded?

I also found this recorder which is cheaper:http://www.inta-audio.com/products.asp?partno=mtra-fos-mr16hd

It only has 4 inputs by the looks of things, which is fine for now. Could I then record vocals over the instruments after they have been recorded with this? (e.g. record instruments, play back and whilst playing record vocals). Also, are the effects on this any good?

Sorry if this is hard to understand but I am really confused

If anyone can suggest a cheaper option, or something for if this doesn't work, it will be very helpful
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Why not go the better route and get an audio interface and use a desktop PC to record?
unlimited amount of tracks, and much easier to work with (ive worked with MTRs as well as use a PC for audio recording).

The PreSonus FP10 can be had for around $400USD and when paired with a PC and connected with firewire you have 8 inputs which can be tracked until you fill your computers hard drive (which will take hours...)

Tweak's Guide (in my sig) Read it

Your MTRs will work but I have the Frostex MR8 MKII and generally think it isnt the best out there...I would much rather get an interface and use a PC. The preamps and ADA converters are a little iffy at times...
Quote by moody07747
Why not go the better route and get an audio interface and use a desktop PC to record?
unlimited amount of tracks, and much easier to work with (ive worked with MTRs as well as use a PC for audio recording).

The PreSonus FP10 can be had for around $400USD and when paired with a PC and connected with firewire you have 8 inputs which can be tracked until you fill your computers hard drive (which will take hours...)

Tweak's Guide (in my sig) Read it

Your MTRs will work but I have the Frostex MR8 MKII and generally think it isnt the best out there...I would much rather get an interface and use a PC. The preamps and ADA converters are a little iffy at times...

How do I get any effects on these (e.g. gain etc.). I've heard about VSTs or something, is that it?

Also, have read a fair bit of that site tweaks guide is on. Incredibly useful and very helpful, although I did start to get a little confused

So if I buy the FP10 + a firewire card, I record straight to PC with Cubase LE and add effects on that?
Does this have an output to my amp so we can all hear what we are playing? I guess we wouldn't hear any effects e.g. distortion as these would have to be added later?

Sorry for being such a noob here
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

The interface goes to your computer to Cubase. There, you adjust gain and balance, and can use a plugin here and there (VST will work) so your sound is how you like it. Then the sound output will come out of the interface to headphones or preferably monitors so you can hear accurate results.

Your amp output has only to do with the very first step, recording. After that, it has no more purpose.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Then the sound output will come out of the interface to headphones or preferably monitors so you can hear accurate results.

Your amp output has only to do with the very first step, recording. After that, it has no more purpose.

Can it go out to a PA?

Also, do I plug the amp output into the FP10 or the instruments straight into it?
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

It would probably sound best to get a decent mic and mic your amp if you have a good amp.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Neillya1
Can it go out to a PA?

Also, do I plug the amp output into the FP10 or the instruments straight into it?

1. Yes, if the PA is active. Otherwise, it goes to the amplifier of the speaker.

2. Amp output to mixer. If you plug the instruments straight, you'll get a clean DI mix (if it's for the instruments input...otherwise you may not get any sound). You can take the output through a reamp ($99 and up) to an amp, then microphone/output that, but you'll need another input. In exchange, you don't have to do your playing over again if you want to change the tone.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Quote by Fast_Fingers
1. Yes, if the PA is active. Otherwise, it goes to the amplifier of the speaker.

2. Amp output to mixer. If you plug the instruments straight, you'll get a clean DI mix (if it's for the instruments input...otherwise you may not get any sound). You can take the output through a reamp ($99 and up) to an amp, then microphone/output that, but you'll need another input. In exchange, you don't have to do your playing over again if you want to change the tone.

OK im confused now

For anyone else that suggests anything, my budget is £400 MAX ($800) I can't go over this, including any mics etc.
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Instruments and mics > PreSonus FP10 > Software of your choice to record (Cubase, Sonar, Reaper...).

Once everything is recorded you can use the on board FX to tweak the sounds on each track.

VSTs are controlled by MIDI (such as a software synth in a recording program). You dont really use them in audio recording and unless you are planning on doing anything with a keyboard you should not need to worry about any of this.

To hear everything either run headphones from the output of the interface (FP10) or run a L and R main out from the back to the PA.

What PA do you have?
Quote by moody07747
Instruments and mics > PreSonus FP10 > Software of your choice to record (Cubase, Sonar, Reaper...).

Once everything is recorded you can use the on board FX to tweak the sounds on each track.

VSTs are controlled by MIDI (such as a software synth in a recording program). You dont really use them in audio recording and unless you are planning on doing anything with a keyboard you should not need to worry about any of this.

To hear everything either run headphones from the output of the interface (FP10) or run a L and R main out from the back to the PA.

What PA do you have?

Thanks that's a lot clearer now Think that it may be a little out of budget though, but I'll see.

As for PA, currently this (it's only for use at home, will upgrade within a few months for gigging)

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80-watt-complete-pa/11330

Also have this amp:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=70698

Would it work with that?

Edit: When you say "instruments and mics" do you mean instruments > Amps > Mic'ed up or just straight from instruments and vocal mic to FP10?
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

yea so run two main outs to two inputs on the mixer of the PA system.

If that amp has a record or line out you can directly run a cable from that to the interface but you usually get better results micing an amp.

you can cut budget by getting a smaller interface such as the Mackie Onyx Satellite and only recording one instrument at a time. The reason to have a larger interface is to be able to record a lot of instruments in one take or to track drums.
Quote by moody07747
yea so run two main outs to two inputs on the mixer of the PA system.

If that amp has a record or line out you can directly run a cable from that to the interface but you usually get better results micing an amp.

you can cut budget by getting a smaller interface such as the Mackie Onyx Satellite and only recording one instrument at a time. The reason to have a larger interface is to be able to record a lot of instruments in one take or to track drums.

Will get the larger interface I think, would rather record several tracks at once.

Any recommendations on amp mics? I couldn't find any that would do an edrum kit, they seemed to be for toms/snare/kick only.

You've been really a great help, thanks
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

The Shure SM57 or MXL 990/991 kit will do nice. The 991 works well on amps and the 57 is very popular.

DI your E-Kit to the interface, mic your amps for guitar.
You can also use MIDI to record to the interface from the drums which is what I do now (triggering Session Drummer 2 in Sonar). However that may up your price quite a bit.
Quote by moody07747
The Shure SM57 or MXL 990/991 kit will do nice.

Probably, but the cheapest for it here in the UK seems to be £300

Would a direct midi out from the ekit to the FP10 work, then use it to trigger session drummer 2 or EZdrummer and record that?

The SM57 seems to be about £50 or so, so that should be OK.
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

yep you can use MIDI from the drums directly into the FP10 to trigger EZD or SD2 and record that as audio.

SD2 doesnt come in all Sonars though so be sure to look up which it is in before spending money.
Quote by moody07747
yep you can use MIDI from the drums directly into the FP10 to trigger EZD or SD2 and record that as audio.

SD2 doesnt come in all Sonars though so be sure to look up which it is in before spending money.

Will do. How will I hear my ekit - through my PC speakers?
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Quote by Neillya1
Will do. How will I hear my ekit - through my PC speakers?

well when you use an interface (such as the FP10) it is hardware that bypasses your stock sound card (since its cheap anyways...) and so you must hook headphones or your PA to the new interface.
Quote by moody07747
well when you use an interface (such as the FP10) it is hardware that bypasses your stock sound card (since its cheap anyways...) and so you must hook headphones or your PA to the new interface.

Ah right so the FP10 out to PA will let me hear my ekit with or without the Session Drummer 2 effects?
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

yep all the audio from the input and from the computer should feed out the main outs of the interface.

All an interface is is a high tech sound card made with add ons and more inputs of different types. Think of it as a standard sound card with a bunch of inputs and outputs.
After reading the manual you should have a clear idea on how it is all wired.
Thanks so much, you've been very helpful

Will the 57's work on the bass and guitar amps?
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

57 is good for the amp. It might work on your bass amp depending on the variables. You can just DI the bass anyway.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by moody07747
You should DI your bass, but the guitar amps and the 57 go well together.

That means Bass straight into FP10, no amp?
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Instrument inputs mean that any instrument like a guitar or bass can be plugged in. The sound will be clean, and I don't think you can connect to your amp through the line-out (impedance differences) without a reamp.
Quote by keiron_d

To bring this thread back:

Suggestions have been great, but its looking a little out of our budget at the moment, so I have a suggestion here, and need to know if it works.

Basically, where we go for practice, there is a mixer and PA amp, and today we used the line out on the Bass and guitar amps, fed them into the mixer and through the PA - the quality was very, very good.

So, here is my suggestion, would using the line out on the 2 guitar amps and bass amp and plugging them into this mixer and putting the output into the PC interface (firewire) work:

The electronic kit would also go into the mixer. The idea here is that we would be able to hear all instruments and record, and mix levels slightly. I don't really need to edit each track individually on the PC, this is not for pro recordings, just to have something on the band site/myspace page.
I've heard about line outs being band quality, but this was very good quality when we fed them through mixer then PA, so that's why I'm asking
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

bump...
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

It'll work, but it'd be better to have Y cables, and have two feeds, a recording feed and live feed. The live feed is for the mixer, the recording for the interface, so in case something gets botched in the mixer, it won't affect the interface.
In any case, if you're doing that, you might as well have a basic 2 track USB interface and use the alternate outputs of the mixer to do the job.
Quote by keiron_d