Rockerverb 50
Rocker 30
or
Ad 30?

I bassically want a marshall style amp for jeff beck, clapton and eric johnson leads when pushed and bassically the typical marshall sound. Other tones are Jimi hendrix (like a rolling stone fuzz sound), Wishbone ash, Thin lizzy ect

Budjet - 800 max for the head.

I dont really need an effects loop because i usually play venues that have natural reverb and or micing up capabilities. This amp is soley for giging medium to large gigs.
Extra channel is useful but i do not really need a clean sound that much becasue i only use clean for two or three songs.
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Jun 30, 2008,
rocker 30 man i dont think it has an effects loop though

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

if you want a marshall sound you could always y'know, buy a marshall, go used though
Quote by The_0thersid3
^ i dont need one.

The rocker is the cheapest on the list does that mean lower quality?

Not necessarily tonewise... the rockerverb is higher gain, has separate EQ for each channel and a more wattage/valves, which all contribute to the price. I'm not a big fan of the Rockerverb personally, I don't think it sounds that spectacular. Never tried the other two, from what I hear the AD series are fairly low gain though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Not buying a marshall because they are not as good these days. ect

So the rocker is really that good? is it good enough that you would use it professionally in a recording studio if you got a record deal? or is it just good enough for a gig with a semi pro band (im some where between those two and so would need something as good as possible. To add to that im a little bit of a tone freak!
have you looked at ceriatones they're cheap

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by The_0thersid3
To add to that im a little bit of a tone freak!

No proper tone freak will go on internet advice alone, surely. Go try them out!
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
old Marshall's rule...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Half the modern Indie bands today use Rocker 30s, I know I've seen the Arctic Monkeys on stage and in the studio with depictions of them if that answers your question about quality...

They really are stunning amps. That much money does buy you a professional piece of kit. Definitely the 30 IMO.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Rocker 30 or maybe Ceriatones as mentioned above.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I dont think the artic monkeys comment helps! theyre not my type of music although i see the point your trying to make.

So the orange rocker is good enough and loud enough.

What cabs should i get? 4X12, 2x12 1x12 or two 1x2s in a mini half stack style?
I would just get the combo, same volume and it saves you space and money tbh...

And the Arctic Monkeys comment was just to prove that pros use it too.
I can see what your saying about getting a combo and i kind of agree with you i suppose...

Its not like i need the space becasue the band has its own transit that our gear fits into with space for a couple of us in the back! it was more of a pushing the volume issue really which i know cabs can do nicely.
Well again, I've seen dem Monkeys at Glastonbury with R30 combos... 30watts of EL34 power is a hell of a lot. I remember Gabe saying his R30 combo with a G12H fitted drowns out his co-guitarist's Laney TT50H + Cab...
I heard somewhere that Orange amps are rated the "British way" which means that they can put out twice what they're rated at.

Like, a Rocker 30 is 30 watts before any overdrive or distortion.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
for some reason this just absolutely screams jcm 800 at me
anyone else?
i mean no reverb, no effects loop, no cleans, nice hendrix, clapton, beck sound when pushed i mean that sounds like its out of the 800's manual
thats my vote, either an older 50 watt version if you can find one for 800 used or you could get the ceriatone
i would try one out before you decide on the rocker 30 or not
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by The_0thersid3
Will try the 800 although i think a rocker is bassically an 800?

yeah i'm guessing there similar, knowing how the marshall and orange sounds are similar also
idk you might get an 800 or 800 clone cheaper?
oh and if you were to try one out at say guitar center, it will be the reissue that marshall made which isn't as good as the old ones by any means i've heard
i tried it and was STILL blown away, which leads me to believe that the old 800's probably rape everything
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by The_0thersid3
gabe owned an original plexi (bassically the amp i would want if i needed 100 watts of pure tube tone - overkill FTW) and traded it in for an orange rocker because he prefered it...

yeah but that isn't that gabe guy like intensely obsessed with orange amps?
same thing could happen vice versa with a marshall obsessed guy
yeah the thing is if you want to crank it and get some clipping, the rocker 30 might be better than a 50 watt 800 head, since i'm assuming you'd get more from the 30
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Some good points there, i do not know him personally although he does seem to like them.
I would love to have a marshall stack but that would cost alot and be way too loud, ive heard alot of people talk about how good orange amps are and they are not very expensive (in comparison) at all so thats why they appealed to me.

Any body got some decent recordings of the rocker?
Quote by The_0thersid3
Some good points there, i do not know him personally although he does seem to like them.
I would love to have a marshall stack but that would cost alot and be way too loud, ive heard alot of people talk about how good orange amps are and they are not very expensive (in comparison) at all so thats why they appealed to me.

Any body got some decent recordings of the rocker?

yeah i'm not sure on the prices its probably a lot cheaper than the an old vintage 800 so you might as well get that
whats also funny is that i've heard how hard it is to get oranges since you know there not at guitarcenter or musiciansfriend i think (?) and i'm not totally interested in them, but a shop about 2 miles away from me has tons of orange stuff, or at least would order in orange stuff in a heartbeat if you wanted it
they have a tiny terror there which i really want to try sometime
anyway just weird that i struck a goldmine in having a orange dealer that close to me in the u.s., yet i'm not too interested in the orange amps
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
^^If you're saving up for a JCM900, an Orange may be right up your alley, unless you just simply want to own something with the Marshall name.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I'd get a Rocker 30.

Probably the head and a 2x12 cab, but a combo would still be great.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
yeah but that isn't that gabe guy like intensely obsessed with orange amps?
/QUOTE]

I am! Why?

Well before that I was Marshall, I had owned a JCM800 two channel, two JCM900s (one SL-X and one Dual Reverb) and then a Plexi. But the thing was that the one I liked the most was the Rocker 30. Now I'm obsessed with Orange, since I'm yet to find an amp that beats it. Also I started raving about it AFTER I got it!

The Rocker 30 with a Celestion G12H30 is a great buy if you want those tones. The kind of tones I love are those kind of tones and my Rocker 30 nails them straight on with the G12H30. Also if you're in the US, get a Hellatone 30 (it's the same thing, just rebranded).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by timzee117
have you looked at ceriatones they're cheap

Yup, heard great things about them. Not oo expensive either.
Quote by The_0thersid3
Thanks Gabel. More videos of your rocker would be great!

COuld you perhaps show some of the guitarists tones you can get with it? also what it sounds like with a strat (very importatnt)

i would like to see that too

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by The_0thersid3
Thanks Gabel. More videos of your rocker would be great!

COuld you perhaps show some of the guitarists tones you can get with it? also what it sounds like with a strat (very importatnt)

Actually new videos will be up in roughly two weeks (I'll be in Turkey the next week) but then I will do a VERY extensive Rocker 30 review and of course also do it with a Strat. And yes this time I will try and nail different artists tones. I have already planned it.

It will be filmed with my Canon XH-A1 camera, so you'll get great quality and since it has an XLR, great audio. I'll probably use an ADK A51 for most recordings, I love it's tone. Or the Rode NTG1 shotgun mic for the camera. We will see. Also I'll film them more like ProGuitarShop does, filming the settings of the amps mostly.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Actually new videos will be up in roughly two weeks (I'll be in Turkey the next week) but then I will do a VERY extensive Rocker 30 review and of course also do it with a Strat. And yes this time I will try and nail different artists tones. I have already planned it.

It will be filmed with my Canon XH-A1 camera, so you'll get great quality and since it has an XLR, great audio. I'll probably use an ADK A51 for most recordings, I love it's tone. Or the Rode NTG1 shotgun mic for the camera. We will see. Also I'll film them more like ProGuitarShop does, filming the settings of the amps mostly.

Thanks man; I've been wanting to hear more of the R30 myself.

Cheers
Budda Superdrive Budda Superdrive Budda Superdrive Budda Superdrive Budda Superdrive...

I'd get a Rocker 30 out of that lot, I reckon. I'd get a combo, or else a 2x12 with Greenbacks.

Better still would be to hunt around for a Plexi clone in your price range though, like the Ceriatone as mentioned. The 18-watter would be plenty loud enough for almost any situation.