If you like Eluveitie, Manegarm, Equilibrium, Asmegin, Enslaved, etc... check out Arkona!

Arkona are a great Russian extreme folk metal band with a chick singer (though you probably wouldn't have guessed from some of the harsh vox.) Check em' out.

http://www.myspace.com/arkonarussia
A cool vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w628V9_r-Mk

I can't pronounce their album titles, but what I've heard from them is good, and Ot Serdtsa K Nebu is released in America late July.

Listen

There was a dinky little thread on these guys but they deserve a better one.
Great band (thanks Phill), these guys are definitely worth checking out if you are fan of any folk metal. I wasn't sure if I'd like the female vocals at first, but they're surprisingly good and fit very well.
I dig the name
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Pretty good stuff.

This chick sounds hot
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
I knew I should have made a thread about these guys. Fuck.
Quote by Broadsword
Great band (thanks Phill), these guys are definitely worth checking out if you are fan of any folk metal. I wasn't sure if I'd like the female vocals at first, but they're surprisingly good and fit very well.
Don't mention it.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Liketh them I do.

They sound interesting. Wouldn't buy their album because i'm deprived for money...But, good shiznat.
Quote by Broadsword

the vocal arrangements are very reminiscent of traditional folk singing (duh), which I thought was pretty awesome. I like the harsh vocals too though, they add variety.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
^A huge amount of folk metal has both clean and harsh vocals.

When I first found Arkona, I was just happy to get a good Slavic folk band, instead of all the Viking/Scandinavian and Celtic stuff I'd been listening to.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
^A huge amount of folk metal has both clean and harsh vocals.

When I first found Arkona, I was just happy to get a good Slavic folk band, instead of all the Viking/Scandinavian and Celtic stuff I'd been listening to.

O RLY

I know that. I was referring to Arkona's sound in particular. And also because there was a post where someone said they didn't like the harsh vocals. ffs...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
O RLY

I know that. I was referring to Arkona's sound in particular. And also because there was a post where someone said they didn't like the harsh vocals. ffs...

Calm down, lad.

I just assumed you don't listen to a huge amount of folk.

You premenstrual or something?

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

So...Lepta is really good, almost as good as Auioaaoeiuaioeueoauoieuoeuaioueioaueioauoeauae/Vo Slavu Velikim. How does Vozrozhdenie compare to their later work?
Quote by Phill-Rock
Calm down, lad.

I just assumed you don't listen to a huge amount of folk.

You premenstrual or something?

lol, I think of late this could be asked of both of us.

and Vozrozhdenie is probably my favourite album by them, so it compares and then some

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
lol, I think of late this could be asked of both of us.

I've been having trouble sleeping.

I've only been listening to Ot Serdtsa K Nebu lately, even though it's not really as good as their earlier stuff.

I don't have the live album, does anyone?

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

I have a compilation disc that came with Metal Maniacs mag August 2008 issue...
Arkona have a song called 'Shrouds of Celestial Sage'.
I'm completely foreign to folk metal, but I like the blend of influences.
To me, it's great for drinking with.
Friend showed me these guys a while ago, I love them. I think their screamed vocals are a bit irritating, but her clean voice is fantastic. I really dig the way the voice is very mid-range but feminine, as opposed to the more common high female vocals that I can't stand.

I dig the softer songs a lot though, like Slavsya Rus.