Okay so my band played a show the other night... (myspace is in my sig... really old songs not really our style anymore, and the singer has improved a lot, were more between the buried and me and dream theater mixed with protest. New songs are coming soon.) It was probably our best show yet everyone was into it and no one had ever heard of us yet they were amazed... Anyways the manager guy of the show (he has some mad connections) was so impressed with us that he said something along the lines of... "YOU GUYS WERE ****IN AWESOME (and so on for about 5 mins)... Were looking for a band to open for (a certain godly gutarist that is swedish... you all know him ) so ill mention you guys to the guy running the gig in september ill try to make it happen man" i know the chances are slim but still that would be a big opportunity for a bunch of 15 year olds! (this isn't some scam either he never mentioned us paying anything)

If we actually ended up playing the sad reality is we would get booed off and people would throw **** at us cause well were pretty different from the band and because we "scream" and our hair isn't down to our asses. So what would you do in this situation... say **** off to the audience and keep playing...? Storm off the stage cause you got a bottle thrown at you? Or act like so called "professionals" and don't say anything?
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
I wouldn't say anything.

Who is it your supporting by the way? I don't know who you mean?
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Depends how close to unconciousness you came i suppose. I wouldn't stay onstage through abuse severe enough to cause me harm. But by the same token that shouldn't happen because the venue security should deal with it. So if you can take the booing stay on stage. If it gets too much then leave....
Quote by nuttyboy
I wouldn't say anything.

Who is it your supporting by the way? I don't know who you mean?

I didn't say it because i didn't want to make the thread in the intention of bragging but whatever. Yngwie Malmsteen .
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

My Band:
Yeah. Tbh i've seen some suppport acts that barely even resembled the sound of the headliner but realisticaly it doesn't matter because your there for exposure. You should give the audience more credit. I'm quite sure they have more diverse taste than just neoclassical and your style isn't exactly a polar opposite so you'll probably be fine. At worst you'll just have a crowd that don't move very much...
Just keep playing through. Who's to say that you'll end up getting pummeled by bottles or get booed anyway.
The reason i'm worried is because i've heard lots of bands that play with Power Metal bands that are pretty similar to us. They get booed off and **** pelted at them because there "emo" apparently.

EDIT:

and i mean lets say it does happen and we start saying **** off and stuff and throwing the stuff back at them. Is that gonna put a negative view on us to the people that are managing the gig... Would they want to do business with us again... I really don't know how to present myself in the industry other than using common sense but i mean in a situation like this the nicest people are bound to get pissed off.
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
Last edited by AmpleSteak at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by AmpleSteak
The reason i'm worried is because i've heard lots of bands that play with Power Metal bands that are pretty similar to us. They get booed off and **** pelted at them because there "emo" apparently.

EDIT:

and i mean lets say it does happen and we start saying **** off and stuff and throwing the stuff back at them. Is that gonna put a negative view on us to the people that are managing the gig... Would they want to do business with us again... I really don't know how to present myself in the industry other than using common sense but i mean in a situation like this the nicest people are bound to get pissed off.

If it happens, be professional, don't throw a strop, don't throw a tirade of abuse back at the crowd, don't walk off, but by all means come out with a few witty heckler one liners (which may actualy get some of the audience on your side, see https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15004373#post15004373 for a list of lines to use on them. ) but don't do anything that's gonna make the crowd think 'What a whiney buch of kids!'
That way, management and industry people will take you more seriously.
People who can't take a bit of grief on stage are quickly ignored by management and industry people because it shows a volatile personality and a temprement that would be difficult for them to work with.
Imagine that someone had paid a fortune for you to record in the very best studio available, and something wasn't going just exactly how you wanted it to, and you reacted by throwing a wobbler and storming off, that person's money is rapidly disappearing while you're having a neurotic episode.
Now I'm not saying that you'd do that in a studio situation, but if you do it on stage, management and industry guys would assume that you'd probably do that in the studio too.
At the event, be as polite and as helpful as you can possibly be backstage. Be nice to everyone you meet, even the lowliest of gophers. (the people who run around at a big show getting 'stuff' for 'stars') If you are given a dressing room, leave it as you found it, don't try and be Led Zeppelin and smash the place up (they had the cash to pay for it) just basicaly make yourselves a pleasure to both be around and to work with, and people will want to work with you again.
I actualy learned this (coincidently) from ex Malmsteen vocalist Doogie White, who my own band supported when he was singing with M3 (Moody, Marsden & Murry from Whitesnake)
I was watching their drummer souncheck and he came up to me sat down and just started chatting. I didn't even know who he was until he was called to soundcheck himself and just assumed he was a roadie but he was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
When he'd finished soundchecking, he came straight back and resumed our conversation and I mentioned to him that I would never have thought he was some kinda star, and he said that he learned a long time ago not to have any attitudes in this game because it does you more harm than good.

If nasty stuff happens to you on stage, look at it as a baptism of fire and remember that important people will be watching you, and if you can handle that sort of crap without loosing your cool, they may even sort you out with some gigs with an audience more suitable to your style.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 1, 2008,