marshall valvestates. Was playing on today at a music college and they seemed pretty good. What do you guys think. And also how heavy will a plexi go?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Valvestates are a waste of money. You may as well buy a SS and use the money you saved on posting the pieces back to the manufacturer after you've smashed it to pieces in frustration
ohai little sig.
^ well said
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
i know my dsl401 isnt an amp of wonders. But the valvestate definately did have a smoother type of gain, was more clinical though and less "vintage" Anyway how heavy will a plexi go, and will it do cliffs of dover type smooth tone?
how come everyone is reading but not responding?
Quote by Varkunus
how come everyone is reading but not responding?

Because we are frowned upon for replying to SS amp threads and flaming the sh*t out of them.

Sorry, but the Valvestate is a terrible amp.

And now I'm going to be flamed as labeled 'SS hater!'
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Because we are frowned upon for replying to SS amp threads and flaming the sh*t out of them.

Sorry, but the Valvestate is a terrible amp.

And now I'm going to be flamed as labeled 'SS hater!'

Supposedly the old Valvestates are actually good, he might not be talking about the AVTs.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Apparently the OLD valvestates were actually pretty good for SS amps. It's when the AVT and the MG's started coming out when Marshall SS quality fell.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Varkunus
i Anyway how heavy will a plexi go, and will it do cliffs of dover type smooth tone?

black sabbath is how heavy a plexi will go, also listen to randy rhoads (ozzy), he used only plexi's and a distortion +

go get a tubescreamer and the plexi, you will have amazing tone and be able to get a pretty good cliffs of dover tone

wait, why are you asking about a marshall valve state and a plexi in the same post, the plexi is the best hands down, it is marshall smooth, crunch, and roar in the same amp
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Jun 30, 2008,
well the one there was an AVT 50H i think. I know everyone swears by tubes, but it sounded pretty good to me. Got nice gary moore tones, hhhm strange huh?

Anyway will a plexi go upto megadeth levels, and still maintain a big low end?
what about an 800 combo?
I think the ValveStates are okay amps, they are just overpriced for what you get. My friend has the Heritage II 50 watt half stack, and one of the better soild states I have heard. But the new AVT are no comparison to the Heritage II, the AVTs are over priced and really they don't sound horible, but for a same amount of money you can get a smaller tube amp that will totall distroy it.
Quote by Varkunus
what about an 800 combo?

you mean a jcm 800 combo?that will be grittier and not as smooth as a plexi but can do pretty much all early to mid 80's metal (might need a boost)

but both amps are the awsome marshalls but are made for different things
, so i suggest you ditch the valve state and compare the plexi and jcm 800
right so well i play anything from funk to metal. The heaviest i really go is megadeth symphony and destruction levels, but i need that big bass boom. So when your playing heavy stuff will make people feel scared LOL. But no im not a thru and thru metal player, play all sorts really. Clapton, gilmour, jazz fusion, sabbath. You name it. Anyway i was speaking to someone else and he recommended a ceriatone plexi 2X12 combo fitted with EVM12L's speakers and MV. And will the plexi handle cliffs of dover/gary moore still got the blues tones. Those thick, gentle and smooth tones. And same for the 800.

Also what about the laney AOR pro tubes, or vh100R (although i heard this is geared more for hard rock and metal) Or what about the ENGL blackmore, sinced its voiced differently to the other ENGLs. But would it be a bit to sterile for classic rock etc.

Also at ceriatone what does TMB mean? And JTM
Quote by Varkunus
right so well i play anything from funk to metal. The heaviest i really go is megadeth symphony and destruction levels, but i need that big bass boom. So when your playing heavy stuff will make people feel scared LOL. But no im not a thru and thru metal player, play all sorts really. Clapton, gilmour, jazz fusion, sabbath. You name it. Anyway i was speaking to someone else and he recommended a ceriatone plexi 2X12 combo fitted with EVM12L's speakers and MV. And will the plexi handle cliffs of dover/gary moore still got the blues tones. Those thick, gentle and smooth tones. And same for the 800.

Also what about the laney AOR pro tubes, or vh100R (although i heard this is geared more for hard rock and metal) Or what about the ENGL blackmore, sinced its voiced differently to the other ENGLs. But would it be a bit to sterile for classic rock etc.

I'm pretty sure eric johnson uses plexies.(plexis?)
The only decent Valvestate was the old 8100 head. Go listen to some Death to hear it. Chuck used them religiously in the later part of his career.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
ow cool. SO how heavy would it go? (plexi)
i recommend a plexi since you play quite a bit of stuff.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
so would plexis be better than an 800 for me? And do single channel amps cope well without effects? Cause i heard rumours they dont. Anyway would a plexi get megadeth type tones with or without an OD. And which model of plexi should i get off the ceriatone website? Like i dont think i would want bigger than a 36w. Possibly an 18w would do it. Want to be able to get close to cranking it at band practice. And i know plexis are pretty darn loud for there wattage anyway, so would the 18w be my best bet? And whats the EF86 thing mean? And TMB. Also im trying to price it up and the plexi 18w oombo came to around £300 is that about right or have i not added enough stuff in?
Quote by Varkunus

TMB stands for treble, mid and bass.

JTM is a range of amps from marshall.
whats the difference between an 18w plexi and a 18w plexi TMB? Is the TMB the only one with an EQ channel?

Anyway which would be best for what i mentioned? Plexi 18w, plexi 36w, vh100r laney, engl blackmore, or something completely different