So I have a Standard Fender HSS Stratocaster and there are a couple of things I want to do:

1) Set the far tone knob to control the humbucker (most important)
2) Coil-split the humbucker using far tone knob (push-pull)
3) Use the closer tone knob to control both middle and neck pickups (I've heard that I can use some sort of push-pull dual pot that will allow me to set both levels independently)

Anyone have any idea of how to go about this? What parts/pots will I need? Wiring diagrams? Is it worth it? Also, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? i.e. new volume pot (it's brand new, but maybe different brand, resistance, etc.), resistors, capacitors?
1 - Very simple. Require you to move one wire on the pickup selector.
2 - Simple, IF your humbucker has 4 wires. If it's the stock humbucker, I don't think so.
3 - You can use the stock tone potentiometer to control both of them, but not independently. Just requires a wire moved on the pickup selector. You COULD technically have a concentric tone pot, so there's two knobs, but I don't think it adds that much versatility, and it changes the stock look a bit.

This diagram shows you how to make the tone knob affect middle AND bridge.
However, I can tell you how to make it do what I described:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tone_f_bp
Simply move the tone pot's wire to that new point, so that tone pot is ONLY affecting the bridge pickup. Then, put a new wire connected the middle and neck's lugs.
Is that clear enough?
Quote by forsaknazrael
1 - Very simple. Require you to move one wire on the pickup selector.
2 - Simple, IF your humbucker has 4 wires. If it's the stock humbucker, I don't think so.
3 - You can use the stock tone potentiometer to control both of them, but not independently. Just requires a wire moved on the pickup selector. You COULD technically have a concentric tone pot, so there's two knobs, but I don't think it adds that much versatility, and it changes the stock look a bit.

This diagram shows you how to make the tone knob affect middle AND bridge.
However, I can tell you how to make it do what I described:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tone_f_bp
Simply move the tone pot's wire to that new point, so that tone pot is ONLY affecting the bridge pickup. Then, put a new wire connected the middle and neck's lugs.
Is that clear enough?

1) Okay, thanks.
2) Stock, so I'll hold off on this one for now I guess.
3) Yes, that helps. What I was referring to for having the one knob control both was only using one knob. Someone posted a "dual-----something" pot on here that worked like a push/pull. Pushed in, it would control one, pulled out it controlled another. I can't remember the friggin name though.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Nah, a concentric pot would be better. I imagine that pulling on said push/pull pot would bypass the tone control completely on the other pickup, make it's tone set set to a theoretical "11".
A concentric pot would allow you to always have both pickups set to their own settings.

Yeah, that makes sense then. I was under the impression that you could set one, push in, set the other and it would work that way. The push/pull action wasn't to switch things on/off but rather to set which pot you were controlling.

Think I'm going to start as you suggesting. Moving one to control the bridge and using the other one to control both combined.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this wouldn't cause issues when using position 4 with both pickups in operation? My electronics mind is a little fuzzy today. They would be just set to the same level, yes? That would be fine.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 30, 2008,
Ah, yes, that is something that a lot of people who do this mod say. I never use position 4 on my Strat, and my Strat now has a master tone, so i forget about this issue. (the space for the other tone control is now a rotary selector to put the pickups in different combinations of series and parallel not normally available.)
The capacitors will be working at the same time, so if you say, had an independent .05 uF for both tone controls, you'd have a .1uF cap in position 4 (we're talking middle/bridge, right).
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ah, yes, that is something that a lot of people who do this mod say. I never use position 4 on my Strat, and my Strat now has a master tone, so i forget about this issue. (the space for the other tone control is now a rotary selector to put the pickups in different combinations of series and parallel not normally available.)
The capacitors will be working at the same time, so if you say, had an independent .5 uF for both tone controls, you'd have a 1uF cap in position 4 (we're talking middle/bridge, right).

Sorry, I was talking 4 as in middle/neck. With this mod, middle/bridge wouldn't be an issue as far as I can see.
Oh, I see.
Um, if you're using a concentric pot, with independent tone caps, you'll encounter exactly the problem I described.
If it were just one tone pot, you'd be fine, and they'd be set the same.

And in the middle/bridge position, it'd be using 2 tone caps at the same time, so they'd be acting as one big one. Put it this way, from my example, .1uF is what they use in a Bass guitar.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh, I see.
Um, if you're using a concentric pot, with independent tone caps, you'll encounter exactly the problem I described.
If it were just one tone pot, you'd be fine, and they'd be set the same.

And in the middle/bridge position, it'd be using 2 tone caps at the same time, so they'd be acting as one big one. Put it this way, from my example, .1uF is what they use in a Bass guitar.

Oh, okay, I'll have to put some thought into this then. At the very least I want the tone to control the humbucker, so I'm going to start with that.
Quote by TheProducer
So just to confirm,

In order to do the first mod I suggested (moving the tone knob to the humbucker) there really isn't anything else I should be concerned with other than swapping the wire?

Like so:

http://www.bothners.co.za/articles/hotrodstrat4.shtml
Stock is like so:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge and middle
3 - middle tone 2
4 - middle and neck tone 1 & 2
5 - neck tone 2

the drawing you linked to:

will result in the following

1 - bridge tone 2
2 - bridge and middle tone 2
3 - middle
4 - middle and neck tone 2
5 - neck tone 2

there is another option,
if you connect the unused lug in that modified drawing to the lug wired to tone pot 1:

1 - bridge tone 2
3 - middle tone 1 & 2
4 - middle and neck tone 1
5 - neck tone 1
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Stock is like so:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge and middle
3 - middle tone 2
4 - middle and neck tone 1 & 2
5 - neck tone 2

the drawing you linked to:

will result in the following

1 - bridge tone 2
3 - middle
4 - middle and neck tone 2
5 - neck tone 2

there is another option,
if you connect the unused lug in that modified drawing to the lug wired to tone pot 1:

1 - bridge tone 2
3 - middle tone 1 & 2
4 - middle and neck tone 1
5 - neck tone 1

So I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I thought stock was like so:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge and middle (tone 2)
3 - middle (tone 2)
4 - middle (tone 2) and neck (tone 1)
5 - neck (tone 1)

I think what I'm trying to go for is:

1 - bridge (tone 2)
2 - bridge (tone 2) and middle
3 - middle
4 - middle and neck (tone 1)
5 - neck (tone 1)

If that makes sense...perhaps there is a better way to do this that I'm not thinking of? I thought that is what the picture I linked did. Just moved the control from the middle pickup to the bridge one.
Quote by TheProducer
So I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I thought stock was like so:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge and middle (tone 2)
3 - middle (tone 2)
4 - middle (tone 2) and neck (tone 1)
5 - neck (tone 1)

It is like that. I think SYK just made a typo.

Quote by TheProducer

1 - bridge (tone 2)
2 - bridge and middle (tone 2 and tone 1)
3 - middle (tone 1)
4 - middle and neck (tone 1)
5 - neck (tone 1)

If that makes sense...perhaps there is a better way to do this that I'm not thinking of? I thought that is what the picture I linked did. Just moved the control from the middle pickup to the bridge one.

I corrected what will happen if you move "tone 2" to the bridge pickup.