I just got my new guitar and had it setup at the shop before I took it home. It really needed it, there was too much of a concavity in the neck, etc. They set it up and it looks/plays much better overall.

My question is, how much should it still buzz? Overall, it's not bad, but the G-string still rattles pretty badly and consistently after the 5th fret about all that to the 16th or 17th fret. However, this is mostly inaudible through the amp, but when playing at high gain it reduces the clarity of the note.

I've checked the relief, it looks pretty good. A slight gap, about where it should be. The strings are set at consistent heights as well, relative to one another.

So how much buzz should I still have? Is the only solution to raise the action across all of the strings?
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 30, 2008,
any buzz that you can still hear through the amp is too much.

you could just raise the action a bit more until you can't hear anything through the amp anymore.
Quote by The red Strat.
any buzz that you can still hear through the amp is too much.

you could just raise the action a bit more until you can't hear anything through the amp anymore.

Yeah, I think that has to be the plan of attack.

I also just wanted to double check, as far as noise goes that you CAN'T hear through the amp, electrics tend to be kind of buzzy/rattly--when not plugged in? Just trying to benchmark where I'm at. I come from playing acoustic and bass.

Quote by Edgey_15
If you have individual saddles, not necessarily. Hows the intonation?

The intonation is bang on. Like I said, the G-string is the worst offender, but raising it would put it out of line with the other ones who aren't that bad.