have any of you UGers used either the

Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400

or the

Epiphone 1958 Explorer

i was just wondering because im thinking of buying both once i sell my Affinity strat pack to my neighbor for $150.

just looking for some honest USER opinions and whats good and bad about them, nothing else.

EDIT: the problem is i cant play them both with out paying for and special ordering them in!!!!! cause my local music stores dont have these stocked....checked all of um.
Last edited by AJS19 at Jun 30, 2008,
dont get both because you could get something better instead but i like the explorer more
Take the G-400 mate, SGs are so smooth, light and a dream to play.
I have played both and although both great guitars, would pick the G-400 everytime.
Id deffinatly go with the explorer, I might be a little biased due to me being a huge metallica fan, but I have the gothic edition and its my baby
Should be in the EG forum.

And play one of each and decide which one you like better
Quote by imgooley
Should be in the EG forum.

And play one of each and decide which one you like better

the problem is i cant play them both with out paying for and special ordering them in!!!!! cause my local music stores dont have these stocked....checked all of um.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Both are decent guitars.

Which do you like the look of more?

obviously i like the look of the explorer alot but the 1966 G-400 is hawt too...

pretty much im thinking i need to buy one than the other...

o and btw keep reading.

and i was also thinking that i need some tips on intonation issues on my LP....the 12th fret on the D string..and the 15th fret on the B string (aka Sweet child of mine intro) are the same note, yet are way off intonation wise.
both strings are intune, but the 15th fret B is the source of the problem. thats the one causing the wavy sound of dissonance

would a setup fix this. or can i do it myself
SG ftw. i imagine the explorer might have some more sustain though, like an LP. but the SG has the most versatile control layout w/ independant tone and volume knobs for each pup. the selector switch is in a good position so that it doesn't get in your way too.

the double cutaway is perfect for making it into a solo instrument. the explorer looks sexy and screams 80s, but i'm still down for the G-400. the best upgradeable guitar in it's budget just about. you can hear demos of mine through my blackheart on my profile. slap some SD pups in it and it's ready to rip the walls down.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
you've already got an epi LP?! dude, don't waste money on the explorer then, it's not gonna be that much different than a LP. the SG will have noticeable sound difference, it'll be more trebly in a way but not as sustainful. a good kind of different though. but if you wanted something that sounds WAY different then get a telecaster i say.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
you've already got an epi LP?! dude, don't waste money on the explorer then, it's not gonna be that much different than a LP. the SG will have noticeable sound difference, it'll be more trebly in a way but not as sustainful. a good kind of different though. but if you wanted something that sounds WAY different then get a telecaster i say.

yeah ill probly end up getting both the explorer and g400 eventually anyways

but im probly gunna order the explorer online sometime this week b/c the 1966 g400 is out of stock
dude don't get THREE guitars that all have dual humbuckers, two of which will sound very similar. you should get a guitar with at least two single coil pups to add a lot of versatility to your style. either that, or just get ONE of the two and use it for drop tunings.

i GUARANTEE that if you get both the G-400 and Explorer, you'll be selling one of them in less than a year. use that leftover money and upgrade the G-400. new pups, volume/tone pots and nut and even sperzel locking tuners would make it one bad mofo. only thing i haven't done is change the tuners and nut. tho the stock tuners should be grovers, which are damn good already.

but what do i know? lol...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
yeah idk. the g-400 limited edition is out of stock until mid/late july which i can wait for. and its also the cheaper one. but honestly im really a gibson guy. but i totally understand where you are coming from. ill definitely put some thought into it. but ya gotta admit, an explorer is a bad@ss guitar no?
oh yea, it's bad ass for sure! but les pauls are badass too...and SGs are down right bitchin'!

if i had my pick, it'd be the SG and LP. explorers are cool, but i HAVE to have a lot of tone flexibility in the tone/volume controls to make me satisfied. i'm nitpicky tho lol.

what you should do is maybe use some money now for new seymour duncan pups for your les paul. that would make it KILLER. THEN, later on in the month when you get that SG, use some more for pups for IT too.

i love that the G-400 is only $300 now lol...when i got it a couple years back, it was $400 ..
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH