I have a Laney VH 100R that needs a cab but I dont know what to get. I play every thing from Smooth Jazz to Progressive Groove Grind Skull Crushing Metal so versitility is a must. I have a Gibson LP Studio.

The cabs Ive considered so far are the Standard Orange, The Mesa Oversized Rectifier or an Avatar. All 3 are loaded with V30s but the Avatar is about half the price of the other 2.

What are the differences in the tone Between the 3? Does any one have any experience with Avatar because I would not be able to try it if I bought one? Why are the Avaters so cheap when the other two are a thousand dollars each?

Thanks.
Sig What?
Vader. I have no idea about anything else.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
the only real difference is probably the style, wood, and build quality. i would say just get the one that looks the coolest because there probably won't be that big of a difference.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by Moose45
Vader. I have no idea about anything else.

That was totally useless.

Ive used all 3, if price is an issue get vader definitely, theres no reliability issues with any that I have heard of and they are all great cabinets, the orange is good but they cant have wheels attached - that would just piss me off too much! The Mesa cabs are great but are very bassy, some say a bit muddy, so for the price they are probably not worth it unless you plan to play korn-y music! You should try the traditional Mesa cabinets, I use one, and yeah, pretty pricey but its a monster, clear, defined, fantastically built, ive recorded with orange cabs before but id take the Mesa every time for live use.

Also as for price difference - its mostly in the name, not the build quality. Im sure the mesa cabs are a bit better built than the avatars, but the reason they run hundreds of dollars more is because of the name on the front. Sad but true!
Diezel, Motherfucker
I'd probably say the Mesa because it would react well with you Laney (will help add definition and whallop in the low end, whether clean or hyper distorted). Orange cabs are also really amazing (lots of punk bands use em, and then i found out Between the Buried and Me do, along with a few other metal bands, and they sound great). Unless you're getting custom speakers and an interesting cosmetic job, i don't feel a cab like Avatar would be worth it in the long run.
Why not get the matching laney cab?
These companies spend a lot of money making sure they fit well together.
- Not saying those other cabs won't sound good though.
I think Avatar are the best cabs for anyone that is either on budget or just doesn't want an Orange or Mesa.

I have decided that my next purchase is going to be two Avatar G412 Vintage cabs with Vintage 30's.

Vader cabs seem to be beasts for metal. I have seen a few guys live with these and they are really nice cabs. The only thing I don't like is that they seem to be geared at metal and nothing else. The website says they're great for everything, but I wouldn't want to take one of those cabs to practice with a blues band haha.

Quote by mh400nt
That was totally useless.

Ive used all 3, if price is an issue get vader definitely, theres no reliability issues with any that I have heard of and they are all great cabinets, the orange is good but they cant have wheels attached - that would just piss me off too much! The Mesa cabs are great but are very bassy, some say a bit muddy, so for the price they are probably not worth it unless you plan to play korn-y music! You should try the traditional Mesa cabinets, I use one, and yeah, pretty pricey but its a monster, clear, defined, fantastically built, ive recorded with orange cabs before but id take the Mesa every time for live use.

Also as for price difference - its mostly in the name, not the build quality. Im sure the mesa cabs are a bit better built than the avatars, but the reason they run hundreds of dollars more is because of the name on the front. Sad but true!

Oranges have skid pads on the bottom... You just slide them.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by brngbacwudstok

darth awsome was recommended a Vader cab

I'm lame...

EDIT: isn't Vader made for heavier music though?
that wouldn't help too much with the versatility.

Yeah, mostly for metal. It says on the site that there is two jazz musicians who love them. So I thought I'd say it.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
Quote by chase312
I have decided that my next purchase is going to be two Avatar G412 Vintage cabs with Vintage 30's.

Why two?
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by b00m_
Why two?

Because I like to use two cabs.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Because I like to use two cabs.

Fair enough. Next purchase i make will be an Avatar 2x12 with vintage 30's when i sell my 401. Much more portable than a 4x12.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by b00m_
Fair enough. Next purchase i make will be an Avatar 2x12 with vintage 30's when i sell my 401. Much more portable than a 4x12.

The avatar 2x12s are really pretty :]

I got rid of both of my 4x12s recently because I'm moving from Dallas TX to St. Louis MO, and I am taking a Ford Mustang haha.

I got a nice little Marshall 2x12 with Celestion G12T 100watt speakers to use for now because I have no use for the big cabs right now.

When I get to Missouri I'll buy those Avatars.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
The avatar 2x12s are really pretty :]

I got rid of both of my 4x12s recently because I'm moving from Dallas TX to St. Louis MO, and I am taking a Ford Mustang haha.

I got a nice little Marshall 2x12 with Celestion G12T 100watt speakers to use for now because I have no use for the big cabs right now.

When I get to Missouri I'll buy those Avatars.

Very nice.
I don't know whether to get the orange with vintage style tweed grille cloth or black with grey grille cloth. Thinking towards the orange with tweed bur not sure if it will go with my marshall cab when i hook up both up
Quote by atr5557
Quote by b00m_
Very nice.
I don't know whether to get the orange with vintage style tweed grille cloth or black with grey grille cloth. Thinking towards the orange with tweed bur not sure if it will go with my marshall cab when i hook up both up

I was tempted to get the orange one with the wheat grille and put an Orange logo on it :p

PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
I was tempted to get the orange one with the wheat grille and put an Orange logo on it :p

dude!!! that's crazy, it would look almost identical especially in person, since i bet the colours are even closer in person than in those pictures

EDIT: can you get an avatar cab in canada? (sorry to hijack the thread

I'll input to this thread anyways, I'd say go for avatar, and get some NICE boutique pedals with the saved cash! I've only heard good things about avatar
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I know haha

I've seen both in person and I could barely tell the difference [except for the logo, of course]

But the only thing that beats that, IMO, is this:

The grilles look a lot more similar, the lighting in the pics is bad,
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Yeah we kinda took this over.
Sorry :[

Steamcomusic.com in Winnipeg, Canada sells Avatar and Hellatone products. Their phone is 204 .237.4299.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I think I'll go with the Avatar and save the 500 bucks.

Does anyone actually have an avatar? The ordering process seems kinda iffy with the whole emailing credit card numbers and such. Can anyone who has ordered from them before set my nerves at ease?
Sig What?
Quote by darth awsome

Does anyone actually have an avatar? The ordering process seems kinda iffy with the whole emailing credit card numbers and such. Can anyone who has ordered from them before set my nerves at ease?

I'm sure ordering from them will be perfectly fine as they are a well known company that deals online. Luckily they have a shop who stocks them abotu 30 mins drive from me.

To chase; I don't liek the black, it looks like it's been spray painted on
Doesn't match the whole signature 'orange' look (pun intended).
Quote by atr5557
Quote by darth awsome

I haven't ever ordered online but I know a bunch of people who have.

It's perfectly safe.

"Some people break up the credit card info into two separate emails for security reasons. I , dave, the owner am the only person who reads the emails and we don't store customer info in the computer. we hand write the receipts the old fashion way so no one can hack your personal info from a computer."
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Yeah we kinda took this over.
Sorry :[

Steamcomusic.com in Winnipeg, Canada sells Avatar and Hellatone products. Their phone is 204 .237.4299.

OMG I LOVE YOU!!! I've never bothered to actually go through there site, now I can get an avatar cab and like a tiny terror or something , it's only 35 bucks shipping too!!! and the prices are reasonable

EDIT: do there different types of 212 cabs sound different? or are they just different looks? and which do you guys think looks best out of the 212's
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
OMG I LOVE YOU!!! I've never bothered to actually go through there site, now I can get an avatar cab and like a tiny terror or something , it's only 35 bucks shipping too!!! and the prices are reasonable

EDIT: do there different types of 212 cabs sound different? or are they just different looks? and which do you guys think looks best out of the 212's

Very welcome :]

I don't think there is any difference in sound [as long as the speakers are the same]

I think that Contemporary cabs [4x12 and 2x12] look better than the Special/Custom ones.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jun 30, 2008,
the only difference between various 2x12s (to my knowledge) would be if they're closed, open, or 3/4 backed. That would determine how punchy the bass is, how sparkly the treble is, and how much the mids are pronounced.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
the only difference between various 2x12s (to my knowledge) would be if they're closed, open, or 3/4 backed. That would determine how punchy the bass is, how sparkly the treble is, and how much the mids are pronounced.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the backs.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
i play out of an avatar... sounds like a dream... from a really heavy sound to a nice clean sound it does it all =)