Alright, well I've been looking into getting a 2x12 the past couple of months and I've finally found some decent deals. I'm still open to some recommendations, but for the most part I think I've narrowed it down to 3. What I want is a tight low end, something that I could replace my 4x12 with and not miss anything from it. I'm done with G12T-75s so I'm not interested in anything with them or that sound similar.

Which one would you go for and why?

Basson B212 Straight Cab - Guy wants $300. I've heard good things about these and it comes with Eminence Legends in it.

Lopoline 2x12 - $350, comes with Veteran 30s in it, which are Warehouse clones of Vintage 30s. I've heard good things about Lopoline as well as the speakers, plus it's decked out in a cool vintage vibe, tweed tolex and wheat grille.

Mesa Recto 2x12 - I've tried these before and really like them, but the cheapest I've been able to find is about $400, I've seen some locally for less but by the time I saw the ad, they'd already sold it. Comes with Vintage 30s in it.

I'm really leaning toward the Basson right now, but I've never tried one of their cabs before, so I'm not sure what to expect from it, and I can't try it out before I buy it as the guy is out of state. I'd like the Recto cab to match my amp, but I might be getting rid of it anyway and just because it says Mesa on it isn't a reason for me to get it, especially when it's the most expensive. I REALLY want an Oversized Bogner 2x12, but it seems they're pretty hard to find

Not really interested in a Vader unless I can find it at a really good price as I honestly hate how the look (I know, shouldn't judge it just by looks, but I've never been one for those metal grilles unless it was a Krank). Don't want an Avatar, want something higher quality.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Haven't heard of the Basson, but I do prefer Eminence legends to Vintage/Veteran 30's.

Lopoline is pretty much an Avatar equivalent. If you don't want one, you probably don't want the other.

I think the oversized Mesa is probably going to do the best job on the booming low end. The Genz Benz G-flex is worth a look, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
have you tried a orange cab?, i tried one with an engl powerball and it blew me away!
Quote by slatsmania
Haven't heard of the Basson, but I do prefer Eminence legends to Vintage/Veteran 30's.

Lopoline is pretty much an Avatar equivalent. If you don't want one, you probably don't want the other.

I think the oversized Mesa is probably going to do the best job on the booming low end. The Genz Benz G-flex is worth a look, too.

Yeah, in all the cabs I've tried with Legends, I've always liked them more as well, much more balanced sounding but still awesome with pretty much everything.

Really? I'd always heard Lopoline were higher quality than Avatars, especially since they're quite a bit more as they come unloaded.

The G-Flexes are pretty cool, but just not for me, not to mention the only ones I can find are almost as much as the Mesas are

Quote by theo8001
have you tried a orange cab?, i tried one with an engl powerball and it blew me away!

I have tried an Orange cab and really liked it, but finding one used is another thing as I'm not paying $700 for a 2x12

The guy with the Basson says it's the tightest sounding cab he's ever used, including 4x12s, and he owns a Roadster 2x12 and Diezel 4x12.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Really? I'd always heard Lopoline were higher quality than Avatars, especially since they're quite a bit more as they come unloaded.

I think the main difference is that Avatar's a bigger company, and managed to get themselves a sweetheart speaker deal. I don't believe there to be much difference in overall quality of the cabs, though.

Hmm... I just looked up Lopoline. They offer a closed back 2x12 loaded with Texas Heats for $304. That's a lot less than, say, a loaded Avatar Contemporary cab. Now if you prefer Lopos, that's a great deal. But I think it sort of underscores the fact that the two cab companies are pretty comparable.

I thought of Orange, too, but figured they'd be cost prohibitive. Great cabs, though.

I really like JDesign and Tone Tubby, but neither is probably a good fit for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Hmm... I just looked up Lopoline. They offer a closed back 2x12 loaded with Texas Heats for $304. That's a lot less than, say, a loaded Avatar Contemporary cab. Now if you prefer Lopos, that's a great deal. But I think it sort of underscores the fact that the two cab companies are pretty comparable.

Oh wow, I didn't realize you could get a loaded cab from them, I thought they sold them all unloaded and remember their prices being in the $300 range, but I haven't looked them up lately.

I'm still really leaning toward the Basson though, does anyone have experience with these? A lot of guys over at HC seem to love them, but I've never really heard of anyone talking about them here on UG.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
But why the Mesa? Just saying buy so and so doesn't tell me anything about why you think it's better than the others.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
bump!

I also found an Orange 2x12 for $380, HOPEFULLY it's not sold yet, if it's not I'm buying that for sure, especially since he's local, if it's sold, still need to decide between these!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd recommend Genz Benz G-Flex 2 x 12s. They sound awesome! Lots of low-end bass! I've got a pair of g-flex 2 x 12s for sale. Message me if you are interested.
My Music:

My Photography:
Quote by mmcdonald2k
I'd recommend Genz Benz G-Flex 2 x 12s. They sound awesome! Lots of low-end bass! I've got a pair of g-flex 2 x 12s for sale. Message me if you are interested.

I've already been through 3 2x12s since this post. Reported all your other Necro Bumps
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com