My goals for the summer (and early fall) are the following-learn to play blues really well, learn to play rythm guitar, and learn to shred (on the level of like Syn. Gates, EVH, Rhoads, nothing like Yngwie or MAB).
Me and my guitar teacher are working on the blues, I'm having no problem with that. I'm totally clueless on the rythm guitar, other than learning blues and basic jazz chords what can I do to become a competent rythm guitarist? And about the shredding-should I just learn to blaze through chromatic and other scales, learn sequencing, learn different techniques to do so, and be able to shift positions quickly? Will that plus learning some of there solo's make me into a player similar to the ones I named? Thanks.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

That's a lofty goal if you ask me. Especially if you only have a couple months to complete it. I'm assuming summer for you is now until mid August? As for rhythm guitar, your best bet is getting a metronome and a chord progression and playing around with different time signatures until you become proficient in a lot of the common ones. Then you can go ahead and make your own rhythms and experiment. As for "shredding", I would cut this out of your goals. I mean, it's your choice but it really doesn't fit with what your trying to do. Blues guitar, rhythm guitar, and then SHREDDING \m/. If you do want to go along with it however, the best way to start would be to learn scales and start learning some of the songs of the people/style you want to emulate. Talk to your guitar teacher about it.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
For rhythm, try looking up some things on comping like this:
http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/ms-primer-6-1.html

If you can, jam as much as possible. Playing with other people is a great way to work on rhythm.

For lead: How well are you at determining what key a song or progression is in? That's always great practice. When you can look at a progression and say, "That's in D minor and right here is a tritone substitution and that is just a borrowed chord from the parallel key..." If you can understand what you're going to play over, you can understand what/how to play over.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Eh thats when it would be best. I can already play/improvise slash, clapton, and hendrix style pentatonic solo's. I plan on using the blues in my rock soloing, its just a matter of learning whats behind my inlfluences own influences. The rythm is so that I'm a competant guitarist and so that I can jam with any other competent guitarist, and the shredding is for those over the top, sick hard rock solo's.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
My goals for the summer (and early fall) are the following-learn to play blues really well, learn to play rythm guitar, and learn to shred (on the level of like Syn. Gates, EVH, Rhoads, nothing like Yngwie or MAB).
Me and my guitar teacher are working on the blues, I'm having no problem with that. I'm totally clueless on the rythm guitar, other than learning blues and basic jazz chords what can I do to become a competent rythm guitarist? And about the shredding-should I just learn to blaze through chromatic and other scales, learn sequencing, learn different techniques to do so, and be able to shift positions quickly? Will that plus learning some of there solo's make me into a player similar to the ones I named? Thanks.

you seem to have a misconception that the works of EVH and Rhoads are easy. I can tell you thats not the case (sure they have some easy riffs but they are advanced players). If you dig their music and want to learn it, good for you. You should do it for that reason, not because you think their level of shred is attainable by a relative beginner.
shred is gaudy music
depending on where you are now, you will probably not be shredding in the next couple of months. speed is from metronome practice, lots of it and playing the same thing over and over so it takes a while. i would just let it come and not force it and you just play as fast as you can without errors for now until you get faster.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
I know why I want to play like those players. Its because I love there sound, and that it is a style I would love to adapt. I also know that players like Paul Gilbert and Yngwie Malmsteen are more advanced than them. I'm practicing with a metronome, I have Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, I'm using that. I just wanted to know what I should focus on, is it sequencing with the scales, ect.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by mydogpoops
I know why I want to play like those players. Its because I love there sound, and that it is a style I would love to adapt. I also know that players like Paul Gilbert and Yngwie Malmsteen are more advanced than them..

Not really. Just different types of players.
shred is gaudy music