Hey I was just wondering about whether or not the Distortion channel on an amp is better than using a distortion pedal.
I know I have a ****ty amp so almost everything sounds terrible through it but for future when I do get a good amp I was wondering how does a distortion pedal compare to the distortion channel on the amp or if it was just personal preference or just how good the piece of equipment was.
A distortion pedal can give you more control over the sound of it, and quicker switching between clean and distorted.. There are also a lot of flavors (if you will) of distortion, and if the type on your amp is not to your liking, you can get a pedal for it.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
All depends on the amp... As a general statement amp distortion is always going to be better, unless you have a amp that is just horrid or only designed mainly for cleans.

QFT!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
SS amp distortion isnt going to sound much different than a pedal. Tube amp distortion for the most part is going to sound better than a pedal. Not to say you cant mix the 2 turn your amp gain down and use some of the pedal to get a different tone. OD run into a tube amp sounds really good. So theres no hard fast rules just gotta experiment.