i dont listen to much funk. i like cool beats and i rock out to like backing tracks i have that are very mellow and sometimes behind some rap songs. here is a cool example that i jam to. if you like Auqa teen hunger force check it out. http://youtube.com/watch?v=zR2BboZeLEw (dangerdoom aka mf doom) can someone recommend some cool funk songs i need to check out. like i said i dont listen to any funk so if there is essential funk i need to check out let me kno!
I drive a big chevy truck

Jackson DKMGT
Epiphone SG
VOX-AD30VT
Peavey BXP bass
Yamaha 12 string acoustic
Behringer BX1800 Bass amp
KORG toneworks pandora's box PX4D
BOSS overdrive/distortion
Quote by ginjaninja
most chili peppers stuff is great for a bassist.

Flea's awesome.

yea flea is very very funky. check out earlier stuff like the uplift mofo party plan and mothers milk
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
i should have said the only funk i listen to is oldschool chilli peppers lol. and im interested in figerstyle but some slap would be cool.
I drive a big chevy truck

Jackson DKMGT
Epiphone SG
VOX-AD30VT
Peavey BXP bass
Yamaha 12 string acoustic
Behringer BX1800 Bass amp
KORG toneworks pandora's box PX4D
BOSS overdrive/distortion
You can't beat a bit of Tower of Power for finger funk. Also check out this guy for different funk songs to learn.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jun 30, 2008,
Tower of Power and Jamiroquai are my favorites.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
As everyone knows, the "godfather of soul" is james brown, who practically invented funk. i suggest you get some stuff by him.

RHCP isn't really funk, but the basslines are kind of funky, so yeah that's worth learning, especially if you're into slap.
Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham, Roccio Prestia. A review of their bass output should keep you busy for some months.
And here is the ubiquitous plug for the one, the only, the Funk Machine, the James Jamerson!

Quote by fleajr_1412
Also check out this guy for different funk songs to learn.

Word to the Brothers Johnson cover!
Last edited by aguacateojos at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by aguacateojos
And here is the ubiquitous plug for the one, the only, the Funk Machine, the James Jamerson!
Word to the Brothers Johnson cover!

I love James Jamerson and he's a huge influence on my playing style, but I don't think of him as falling into what most people consider funk. I do think when you are talking R & B and Soul, then yes he's the man.
Definitely. I should have added that, although he isn't necessarily a funk player, his influence on the bass is felt very heavily in that genre.

Stuart Zendor maybe?
brothers johnson is pretty kick ass
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7