i just picked up 10 board feet (one piece is 4 1/2" wide, 10 foot long the other 6" wide, 12 foot long) of curly HARD maple! This s**t is almost impossible to find around here and i picked up 2 gorgeous lengths of it

plus i got a 1.3 board foot piece of jatoba for 4 bucks because it was on a miscellaneous rack i'm so excited I could dance

It's true what they say... guitar building is ADDICTING
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
This thread is useless without pics

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ it better be long and hard!

lulz...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I didnt know anyone would want to see my wood so badly

it's not AAAAAAAA figured or anything but it's hard maple and it's flamed... around here that's like trying to find gold

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
sorry for the double post but if you look at the jatoba in my kitchen, you can see a little piece of my king V neck laminate on the counter... that's the scrap piece I had from cutting the neck out this morning... i'm going to scarf it and use it for a headstock

this thread title made me lol xD

nice wood, i hope you do a good job with it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
here is my piece of jatoba that i am using for one of my Qtops.

still rough planed, but i took a sander to it (this was a half hour of work, this **** is dense. its eerie to pick it up, it seriously feels like its got a gravity field or something).

it looks ALOT like walnut, i rubbed some pure tung oil on it, not that mixed crap you find at the hardware store.
yea it definitely has some weight to it. i'm afraid to cut it i'll have to order more cutters

i'm going to sandwich it between 2 pieces of hard maple with 1/8" strips of wenge in between... unless I can go thinner... i'll have to do some trial/error with thin lam strips

it is scary to cut it. i highly recommend you buy a new table saw blade just for this piece of wood. i cut some of it the other day into 2'' lam strips... i got halfway through it, and i **** you not, i had to push so slow that in the dust collection chamber a fire started, then i pushed harder and the wood snapped. it cut very well on the new blade, but that new blade is getting dull quick...
well this is already surfaced on all sides so i was going to just true it up a bit through my thickness planer just to have true edges to laminate. I do the majority of my cutting on my band saw which is usually slow anyway. i checked out the hardness on jatoba and it's like 500 points higher than purpleheart and wenge... insane!

this kind of wood would probably benefit from a variable speed controller on your table saw... the table saw is probably meant to rip through pine and maple... i know in the metalworking world if you try to cut titanium at the same speeds as aluminum you're in for some fireworks

no, it is set up for cutting walnut/hard maple. the band saw thing might be a good idea, then just run it through a jointer. a jointer wont dull too bad, it takes off such little wood anyways. i need to make an edge guide for my band saw, band saw blades are cheap as hell.
Man, you really like building guitars

Hopefully this one will turn out as nice as your other (unfinished) builds! I it costing you a lot to do these builds? Three of them in a very short time seems like a lot of money. Then again if you know what to buy and where to buy it, and you have the tools for it, I guess it's not as bad.

I hope to be able to build a few (or a lot) more when I have a steady career.

Oh yeah, what is this one going to be?
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

this is just the "i got wood" thread for the future. now that i have this maple and jatoba i'm going to do yet another king V with a maple/wenge/jatoba laminate neck with another strip of wenge separating the body from the neck lams with a flame cap on the wings as well. i'll start that build when i'm done with the first KV and the LPDC

I think i'm going to do another tandem build... the king v and a carved top semi-hollow strat with candy apple red center/black burst and special F hole shapes

That third picture showing flamed maple almost looks like the maple has a bit of splatting to it.
there's a whole bunch going on in the grain of that wood... it's pretty nice

so while i'm away in illinois i was clued in about a woodcraft store a few miles away next to this awesome sushi bar... after i had 15 dollars worth of all you can eat (AMAZING) sushi, I picked up these gems at the wood store

lp that looks nothing like the jatoba I have, mine is much lighter in color and the grain is hideous. you are lucky.

the three lighter orange/brown colored boards are jatoba.