Hello everybody.

I'm looking at getting a new guitar, preferably neck thru with a fixed bridge.
I'm willing to look at any suggestions though.
The guitar will mainly be used for metal, Anywhere from E Standard Tuning to C Standard tuning (Of course when I switch tunings I will have it set up properly or do it myself and leave it in that tuning for at least a month).
If at all possible, I'd like to stay away from EMGs or any active pickups for that matter.
To my ears they don't sound that great, but maybe I just haven't played them through the right amp.

Budget is about $900, but I'd glady go lower

So start suggesting away.

Oh, and how is the Ibanez S470?
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
ibanez s470 is not a neck-thru and has a tremolo(a zr tremolo, which is awesome). i suggest you look at ibanez rg fixed series, and swap the pups.
Quote by thisdude
ibanez s470 is not a neck-thru and has a tremolo(a zr tremolo, which is awesome). i suggest you look at ibanez rg fixed series, and swap the pups.

I know that.
As for the RG's, I can't stand them. I honestly think they are ugly guitars.
The S470 just got my attention and I know I can buy it locally and try it out.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
well if the floating bridge and bolt on construction doesent frighten you then go for it. the trem is awesome, the neck is perfect for shredding, and the pickups are not that bad, though someday i would swap them.
No, it doesn't frighten me.
I've owned a Jackson RR3 which was the same way.
Although I hated the Floyd Rose, I didn't know at the time not to remove all the strings at once when restringing it.

Forgot to mention that I would like to stay with Stock pickups if at all possible.
what kind of music do you play?

PS: actually i do remove strings all at once, just stick a wood block under the trem to keep it in place.(see a video on restringing on a floyd rose on youtube)
I play (Or attempt to play) just about everything.
I mainly stick to Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, though, with your occasional Death/Black metal thrown in.
then the pickups will do fine, for some time i guess, allthough for death/thrash you should get new ones..
Alright then. What pickups?
Here comes the part where you recommend some sort of Active pickup and I say no
And anyone else have any suggestions for guitars?

I believe I'm heading to my local Sam Ash later this week so I'll get a chance to try out ESPs, Moser Custom Shops, and whatever else the local guitar center doesn't carry.
Jackson rr3/ rr5? both have passive seymour duncans

the rr3 is bolt on with floating trem
the rr5 is neck through but fixed bridge

all esps i know that are in the price range you have use active EMGs so i dont think youll find an esp you like.
Last edited by mrbungle50221 at Jul 1, 2008,
Have owned both of them.
Sold the RR3 and still have the RR5.
While I like it, the Pickups are a bit trebl-y.

The ESP EC1000?
The sunburst finish comes with Seymour Duncans.
It'd be another JB, but that's about all any of my guitars have ever had.
I could be wrong about guitars with Active pickups. It could be the amp I was playing through or I know in once case the guitar was completely out of tune when I went to try it. Couldn't tune it back to standard either due to the fact that it had a locking tremolo.
So I'm going to try out whatever guitars catch my eye, even if they have EMGs, Blackouts, etc.

Just would like some recommendations on good guitars so I don't buy something I'll end up hating.
Anyone have opinions on the BC Rich WMD Warbeast?