is there any way to get a whammy bar on an explorer?i went over to my local music store and they said they wouldnt install a floyd rose for under $600, so is there a cheap alternative, even without tuning locks, just so i can atleast get a whammy on that mofo?
Sell it and get the Gibson Shred X Explorer from the GOTW series.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
B-5 bigsby tailpiece.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Get an Epiphone Futura with the floyd, and upgrade the pickups? It'll be more than $600, but worth it. I've never saw a Gibson Explorer with a whammy bar.
Quote by BeëlzeM
Sell it and get the Gibson Shred X Explorer from the GOTW series.

It has tuning stability issues, because it doesn't have a locking nut.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by AdamDK
Get an Epiphone Futura with the floyd, and upgrade the pickups? It'll be more than $600, but worth it. I've never saw a Gibson Explorer with a whammy bar.

You may find this, and this, worth noting. Loads of Explorers have whammy bars of some kind, including Gibbys.
a Jackson Kelly?
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
Quote by AdamDK
wrong, i have saw a gibson explorer with a whammy bar, allen collins had one with a whammy bar
Setsbars KILL the tone of a guitar. No sustain, lifeless.

A bowen handle, bigsby, or maestro tremolo is a MUCH better idea.
Khaler if you have a router/pro to do it.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Setsbars KILL the tone of a guitar. No sustain, lifeless.

A bowen handle, bigsby, or maestro tremolo is a MUCH better idea.
Khaler if you have a router/pro to do it.

Don't forget the locking nut- A Floyd Rose style is preferred to the Kahler style.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
How about Wilkison (sp?) idk if those fit, but it'd atleast be vibrato, and it wouldn't be $600 bucks.

Also the Epi series with the floyds are not recessed, so you cannot do pull ups on them, only dives .

I'm sure you could find somewhere to do it cheaper than $600 though, and you can always install a locking nut on a guitar, email Kahler and ask to buy just the locking nut - 99% chance they'll sell you one if you say "Hey I bought X but it doesn't have a LN, can I buy one?"
Quote by edusty2010
How about Wilkison (sp?) idk if those fit, but it'd atleast be vibrato, and it wouldn't be $600 bucks.

Also the Epi series with the floyds are not recessed, so you cannot do pull ups on them, only dives .

I'm sure you could find somewhere to do it cheaper than $600 though, and you can always install a locking nut on a guitar, email Kahler and ask to buy just the locking nut - 99% chance they'll sell you one if you say "Hey I bought X but it doesn't have a LN, can I buy one?"

No, only the Futuras don't have recessed floyds- the EM-2's do, I believe.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Look at the Dean Z's with Floyds. I think some of the '79 Series have Floyds, but don't hold me to it
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by AdamDK

But that would involve buying an epiphone and subsequently get ripped off as epiphones are quite crap and you can get an actual gibson for the price of some of them. As for the actual question at the top of the page, in theory you can stick a whammy bar on any guitar its just a lot of work, "major guitar surgery" to quote my mate when i asked him. You say they would only do it for $600? I thought it cost a lot more than that actually.
Last edited by ippystratman at Jan 11, 2010,
there is a b-5 bigsby with a virbramate mounting for explorers, they may run you about ?$250? as far as i recall, but you wouldnt have to drill any holes in your guitar, it mounts it.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
There were some Explorers that came with trems but if you want to keep yours I second Stetsbar. I have tried them out and I do not see where they ruin sustain or tone any more than a Floyd or Kahler. You want to keep your Gibson all original if you can. A Stetsbar will mount right on the stop bar studs you might not get the range you would with a Floyd but it will not ruin your guitar. Save your stop bar so when you sell the guitar you can remount it sell the Stetsbar and guitar separate and actually make more. You really have to take a lot of wood out of a guitar in order to mount a Floyd and if you do not like it your stuck with it and you spent $600.00+ and will never sell the guitar for what it's worth. You don't want to add anything to your Gibson that means drilling holes thru the finish any thing like that will also devalue the guitar.

Don't listen to people who tell you Epis are crap. Epis hold there own to Gibson. Prophecy Furturas are great guitars. I have the the version with the stop bar and ToM it's one of the best guitars I ever bought I prefer it over my Gibson Explorer. You will have to deal with EMG pups though. I wish the Marcus Henderson Apparition was available when I got my Futura it's a little better because they contoured the heel for better upper fret access.

John