Page 1 of 2
What's peoples views on using drugs to enhance songwriting abilities?

For or Against?
I don't want to.
Other people can do what they like, unless it irritates me. Then they have to die.
I'm for using songs to enhance drugs.
Yeah, it sounds like Russian Reversal, but it isn't.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
If you rely on drugs to be able to do ANYTHING (unless medical) you are stupid.

This is coming from someone who likes drugs.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
You'll have a lot of laughing in the song ....................... oh wait I was drunk, not high.
I think its a fantastic idea. Makes it sound somehow magic, like you've not written it.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Well, I'm not doing it.

But I know a lot of great music has been written with drugs. Personally, I think the musicians in question would've written equally great music without drugs.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I write songs on drugs, but I don't do drugs to help me write songs. Most of the time, I'm sober when I write. I just like to write a lot and some of the time I'm writing, I'm drugged up. There is a difference when I write sober compared to being drugged. My structure is different, and I seem to rely more on wordplay on when I'm high whereas sober, I have a much more serious tone.
Quote by MightyAl
I don't want to.
Other people can do what they like, unless it irritates me. Then they have to die.

My god I was going to put that in the same words exactly :|
...I would make love to you, but I got high.
lol
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL ****ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few songs." - Bill Hicks

Just look at what LSD did for classic rock, or what cocaine did for punk. Though if you rely solely on inebriation for inspiration you'll cheat yourself out of your full potential.
"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." - Robert A. Heinlein
Quote by Santeria420
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL ****ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few songs." - Bill Hicks

Just look at what LSD did for classic rock, or what cocaine did for punk. Though if you rely solely on inebriation for inspiration you'll cheat yourself out of your full potential.

Amen.
Quote by Santeria420

Personally, I don't want to.

Still, I think if you write something whilst high, you should refine the ideas a bit whilst sober.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by dannyyy
What's peoples views on using drugs to enhance songwriting abilities?

For or Against?

eh..
people usually act like LSD is like anabolic steroids but for creativity, which isnt true
LSD doesnt create creativity, it just helps it come out to a more sheer concentration, i guess you could say
or i mean more like,
psychedelics wont create anything or give you anything that wasnt there in the first place, so most dudes who were "influenced" by drugs would have written good **** anyways, it's just that psychedelics kinda helped them look at **** a different way/utilize every facet of their creativity that they previously werent really tapping into

penis
i'm ****faced all the time and there's no difference really, just how you perceive it.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by break-me-in
Personally, I don't want to.

Still, I think if you write something whilst high, you should refine the ideas a bit whilst sober.

Yeah, thats the approach I usually take. And if you don't want to do it that way I respect that completely, I'm sure there have been many great modern musicians that abstained from drug use... can't think of any though... Zappa?
"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." - Robert A. Heinlein
I say that however you want to achieve making good lyrics (whether you need drugs or not) is up to you. You just have to get there. And to the person above me (Santeria), are you sure Zappa didn't use drugs...? His lyrics are so whacked out (and I believe he named his kid Moonunit) he'd almost have to.
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
even though zappa smoked, tobacco is considered a drug. Tobbacco is almost as addictive as heroin.
Quote by break-me-in
Well, I'm not doing it.

But I know a lot of great music has been written with drugs. Personally, I think the musicians in question would've written equally great music without drugs.

charlie parker would NOT have been as good as he was, were it not for all the drugs he consumed that kept him awake 24/7.

then again, he probably wouldn't have died in his forties...
damn.
Quote by lpmarshall
even though zappa smoked, tobacco is considered a drug. Tobbacco is almost as addictive as heroin.

There are people who would argue that with you, but come on man, that's not going to affect songwriting...
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Roger Daltery hated using drugs and thought drugs would ruin the his band. He said he's only tried amphetamines and pot.
I disagree that using drugs results in good songs. There are plenty of people who use drugs yet they make bad music.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
I don't mind drugs at all. I can't really be against them as 99% of all lyrics I've ever listened to more or less are written while being high.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by lpmarshall

Tobacco doesn't make you do crazy things, just kills you slowly.
When your high you think of things differently than when your sober so the writing quality may be the same, but there's a different 'feel' to lyrics written when high.
Quote by Dilweed
And to the person above me (Santeria), are you sure Zappa didn't use drugs...? His lyrics are so whacked out (and I believe he named his kid Moonunit) he'd almost have to.

I've heard that he strongly opposed recreational drug use, but I'm no Zappa expert. Just a kid with wikipedia and a grapevine.

I think tobacco can affect your songwriting, over time. People who smoke regularly tend to be more aggressive, moody and such, and I can see how this would show in their songwriting.
I think drugs can do some amazing things, especially with songwriters (Just look at Syd Barrett. Amazing)

But theres a point where it goes too far.

I'm fine with it, as long as it doesn't go too far like so many (Barrett, Winehouse, etc.)
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
I myself am a write lyrics and i do so for my band. Anyone who ever sees or hears my lyrics tell me I am a great lyrics writer, even my enemies. Now It could be true it might not, but who knows thats not the point. The point is i write while sober, no drugs no nothing. The worst i have while im writting is a soda. Now if that effets my writing, i have no idea. All I can say is you dont need drugs to write great music, and if you want to write a song that sounds like you just have to need acid to write "lucy in the sky with diamonds..." all you have to do is just train yourself to write like that.
I've always found drugs to kill my creativity. Having been on drugs, I've found myself to be more involved in thinking about notes and how they interact, tones and pitches, but I've found that having to commit strings of them into fairly standard compositions to be limiting and extremely difficult, if that makes sense.
Quote by sunnysayshi
No thanks...

well i made a thoughtful post so to retain my immaturity i decided to add that
uh huh
Quote by lpmarshall
even though zappa smoked, tobacco is considered a drug. Tobacco is MORE addictive than heroin.

FIXED
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Last edited by ManicBluesist at Jun 30, 2008,
^Yeah, the "as" should totally be changed to "than".

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
nope.
scientifically proven, well thats what my science teacher told meh.
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
As far as straight statistics for the percentage of one-time users that go on to become addicts and the success rate (I believe) of addicts attempting to quit, tobacco is more addictive than heroin. Now obviously from a practical standpoint, they don't at all compare as far as the physical aspects of addiction are concerned...

Amphetamines can be nice for songwriting since I do alot of writing at night but the only drugs that don't have a negative impact for me are opiates...and that's just because they give me the motivation to do things.

Psychedelic drugs aren't some magic portal to higher levels of thinking, they're just chemicals that alter certain neurochemical processes which, in turn, alters your perception. Drugs can allow an individual to view the world from a broader perspective simply by having experienced things that they never could have otherwise, but they're not magic and in my opinion drugs don't improve songwriting ability (meaning quality of the finished product, productivity is a different matter).
Page 1 of 2