ive been teaching myself how to play guitar so far and was confused on how to use the pentatonic scale. i know what notes are in what keys and what chords are in what keys and have learned the pentonic scale boxes. now my question is if im playing chords in the key of lets say Am do i solo in the Am petatonic scale? my friend had told me to use the circle of fifths and count around starting from the orignal key a certain number of times and the note you ended on is the key you solo in or something like that. however after reading a bunch of stuff on this and other websites im actually confused on what to do now. can anyone help?
Quote by CapoThis
ive been teaching myself how to play guitar so far and was confused on how to use the pentatonic scale. i know what notes are in what keys and what chords are in what keys and have learned the pentonic scale boxes. now my question is if im playing chords in the key of lets say Am do i solo in the Am petatonic scale?

Yea, you can use the Am pentatonic scale.

Quote by CapoThis

my friend had told me to use the circle of fifths and count around starting from the orignal key a certain number of times and the note you ended on is the key you solo in or something like that. however after reading a bunch of stuff on this and other websites im actually confused on what to do now. can anyone help?

Errr.... that's not what the circle of fifths is for. It shows how many sharps/flats are in a key. It helps you recognize key signatures.

There's a great article on music theory on this site, I don't have the link, but I think you should read it.
You play in the same key. That being said, the notes to the to the left and right of the your starting note in the circle of fifths (i want to say one to the left and 5 to the right someone correct me if this is wrong) are the notes in your key.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Pentatonic scales can be used for multiple keys. For example, if you were playing a song in Am, you would use a Am scale, but the Am pent. has all the same notes as C pent, you just start on A. The same thing aplies for all keys and their relative minors. For ex., Em would go w/ G, Bm would go w/ D, C#m would go w/ E, etc. You can also use the minor scale in a major key to get a blues type sound. For instance if you had a blues song in E, you could use a Em (G) scale for soloing and it would give you a blues sound.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Quote by alienboy18241
You play in the same key. That being said, the notes to the to the left and right of the your starting note in the circle of fifths (i want to say one to the left and 5 to the right someone correct me if this is wrong) are the notes in your key.

so i couldnt use a pentonic scale in the key of one of the notes contained in Am because it would contain notes not contained in Am right?
Quote by ninjafingers
Pentatonic scales can be used for multiple keys. For example, if you were playing a song in Am, you would use a Am scale, but the Am pent. has all the same notes as C pent, you just start on A.

Yes, but if you're in A minor, you're playing A minor, and if you're in C major you're playing C major. If you're playing over an A minor chord, you're not playing C major; the two are not interchangeable in this way.