Poll: How do you strum with a pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you strum with a pick?
Let fingers hang down
21 49%
Keep them together
9 21%
Both
12 28%
Neither, do not use a pick (fingerpicking)
1 2%
Voters: 43.
I'm just curious of what you guys do when you hold a pick. Do you let your fingers hang down or do you keep them together in a fist?

I personally let my fingers hang down
I keep them together but i don't quite make a fist as thought would imply using a lot of force to hold them together which would equal tension whis is bad mmmkay lol.

If you make a "C" with your hand and then kinda put your thumb perpendicular to the side of the index finger, that's how i hold my pick. I don't really know the correct way but it works for me.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I play bass, but when I play my friends guitar, when holding the pick he says my hand looks like a crippled crab... I guess my ring and pinky dangle... which must be bad
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
i keep em up because then they're conveniently there for tapping and hybrid picking
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
They are apart and slightly curled (it looks a little odd) when I'm playing electric, and when I play any fast lead on acoustic my hand actually looks basically like MAB's when he plays quickly.
I just kinda let em fall where they wanta go, my pinky and sometimes ring end up kinda resting on the body, but it's not really anchoring cuz they don't stay in the same spot. it's kinda helpful when standing cuz i use it to know how far away my pick is from the strings, like i don't use it to know which string I'm over, but more for knowing how far out the pick is in a loose kinda way... hard to explain.
i hold the other fingers together firmly and straight out, that just helps me play (or at least think) more rigidly, i dont like the loose feeling of having my fingers dangling around
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Just play relaxed and don't force yourself... Play in a way that comes natural to you...
I leave them hanging but I don't think it really matters in the end.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

I keep them together and use them as support for my index and thumb. It helps me stay stable when picking very quickly.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I just kinda let em fall where they wanta go, my pinky and sometimes ring end up kinda resting on the body, but it's not really anchoring cuz they don't stay in the same spot. it's kinda helpful when standing cuz i use it to know how far away my pick is from the strings, like i don't use it to know which string I'm over, but more for knowing how far out the pick is in a loose kinda way... hard to explain.

i just read your sig, that kid must be really retarded lol. really ironic that he calls himself a shredder and cant even play iron man. anyways, i keep em together when i palm mute and let them drop dead like a rotten corpse when i strum chords like G or C.
Most of the time I just let them hang....
But I do notice my fingers tend to curl up more when I play chords; and my fingers hang out when I'm soloing... I guess it kinda makes sense to have your fingers hang when you solo (In case you wanna finger tap and etc...) Anyway, I guess just whatever feels comfortable/natural at the time!
It's all dependent upon context. However, I'm assuming you want to know about picking when soloing. So, the closest thing I can compare myself to is Buckethead's hand, just not near as extreme. It's not tense, just what I feel to be a comfortable stiffness. It keeps my fingers out of the way of the strings when I'm soloing.

However, when I'm playing chords, again depending upon the context, I'll either strum with my fingers open or play the notes fingerstyle. When I do the latter, I put the pick in between my index and middle fingers. All of the plucking comes for the first finger joint. (idk my anatomy....)

Edit: My fingerpicking looks a lot like Joe Bonamassa's.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
lol i am the only one that finger picks but i do use one for my electric i just don't play ti at all only once in a blue moon or when my gf goes to sleep and i want to play around