Hey dudes, I've just realized that I've never used any other strings but Ernie Ball ever since I started guitar. I broke my first string and bought a pack of Ernie Ball regulars and I've been using them since. The other day I tried my friends custom Carvin DC127 (beautiful btw) and I loved the Elixirs he had on them. I play like rock, pop punk stuff, then some metalcore sometimes. Should I continue using Ernie Ball regs, or should I try Elixirs that are twice the price, but could be better for what I play? Mainly asking because the last time I went to GC to get some strings the dude said that Ernie Balls give a brighter sound and aren't good for rock music. Thanks, Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
well the elixirs feel nice. but the last time i bought and used coated strings, my guitar wasn't able ground properly and it become a pretty noisy beast.

this was with the Coloured DR strings, however.. but since the elxirs are a coated string, i can't imagine them being that different.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Unless you're recording or playing very seriously, a difference in strings isn't going to be too grand, however, most of the time, with strings at least; you get what you pay for
Don't bash Hip-Hop or Rap, it just makes you look like an idiot.
Quote by Tonedeth
Unless you're recording or playing very seriously, a difference in strings isn't going to be too grand, however, most of the time, with strings at least; you get what you pay for

Thats about right, P.S I agree with your sig
I actually hear elixirs arnt that great for electric, I havn't bought them though.

But you might as well try a set out and see what you think.

btw the GC employee is full of it... Ernie Balls are fine for rock.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Tonedeth

I have tried GHS Boomers once, that I hated..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I like Ernie ball because they make the exact string gauge I want. Other brands don't. (Bass strings however, I dont have experience with their guitar strings)
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I have used Ernie Ball Extra Slinky for more than 20 years now and I play metal, prog and blues so I don't think that the brand limits style playability. In fact it is the only brand that I like with a .8 gauge E string, the others break too quickly. I have never tried the Elixirs but have heard many complain about the coating flaking off after awhile and getting all over their fingers making it a pain to play. Anyway it doesn't hurt to try them once and see just how they work for you right?
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Ikky, try not to go round recommending what you use yourself.

You dont know his preferences for tuning, style, or anything else for that matter.

(Not bashing those strings btw, i have a set on my tanglewood).

OT;
I suppose yes, you do get what you pay for. But sometimes you pay for more than you need or will even appreciate. Ernie balls do a fantastic job, always have done for me.

Feel free to try a set, but you may end up preferring your own. It could just have been the feel of the guitar itself.
I went from Earnie balls to elixirs, and it was a damn good choice.

they last like three times as long and they have a very smooth feel to the strings cos if the anti rust. well worth it.

TM
I like elixers and D'Addarios...

A better question to ask yourself...are the plain strings which are currently on your guitar rusting? If so then you should switch away from Ernie ball. The perfect brand for you is one where the strings never rust, no matter how long you play with them. For some, string corrosion is inevitable. They just have acidic sweat, others have sweat which corrodes certain company's string material. For me it's Ernie Ball. The plain strings feel cruddy after about a day of playing. D'Addario/Elixer (same strings, elixers are coated D'Addarios) never crud up or rust on me, and I've used some on guitars for over 6+ months.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Try several different brands until u find the one that best suits u, strings are personal preference after all. I played with several different brands until i tried DR Pure Blues.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I like elixers and D'Addarios...

A better question to ask yourself...are the plain strings which are currently on your guitar rusting? If so then you should switch away from Ernie ball. The perfect brand for you is one where the strings never rust, no matter how long you play with them. For some, string corrosion is inevitable. They just have acidic sweat, others have sweat which corrodes certain company's string material. For me it's Ernie Ball. The plain strings feel cruddy after about a day of playing. D'Addario/Elixer (same strings, elixers are coated D'Addarios) never crud up or rust on me, and I've used some on guitars for over 6+ months.

+1 to all of that, Ernies die on me really quickly too.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I've tried them all numerous times over 14 years and Ernie Ball Electric Strings are the best on the market hands down...

They dont rust for me at all, and friends of mine that used elixirs and daddarios rusted much quicker than what Im reading above...
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
Quote by STRINGGURUX
I've tried them all numerous times over 14 years and Ernie Ball Electric Strings are the best on the market hands down...

They dont rust for me at all, and friends of mine that used elixirs and daddarios rusted much quicker than what Im reading above...

Each to their own, every person has different strings that work well for them.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by STRINGGURUX

2 year old D'Addarios on my Ibanez RG7321. Absolutely smooth before I replaced em. Sure they had light use, but it's when moisture has time to set in and work it's magic.

I can use ernie ball strings for 2 days and have them feel cruddy.

No string is the best for everyone. An 04' should know that.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio