hi all ive been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, I can play alot of stuff, like tenacious d, lots of oasis, jack johnson etc, but ive found my self losing my sense of direction,

does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, tips etc for taking my playing to the next level,

and songs suggestions etc welcomed

thanks
Last edited by badders00 at Jun 30, 2008,
id say just start listening to things you wouldnt normally listen to (also, trying to learn these things can change how you feel about the style of music). after a while some stuff will grow on you and you will have just one more avenue of music to travel down if you need that different direction.
try playing some basic songs without tabs
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by badders00
hi all ive been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, I can play alot of stuff, like trenacious d, lots of oasis, jack johnson etc, but ive found my self losing my sense of direction,

does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, tips etc for taking my playing to the next level,

and songs suggestions etc welcomed

thanks

*dies a little inside*
1. Listen to genres of music that you normally don't listen to.
2. Do some ear training.
3. Learn some theory.
4. Find backing tracks and improvise, see how you measure up to how you'd like to sound.
ain't it tenacious D instead of trenacious D?
Or am I just wrong? =D
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
*dies a little inside*

what the hell is that supposed to mean?
my best advice: go to a concert that you will really enjoy
motivation will follow
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
my advice would be to start writing your own material. I found just learning other peoples tabs bored the **** out of me. Then once i learned a bit of theory and started playing my own stuff i enjoyed it a lot more and i improved loads to.
www.myspace.com/bluecollars

My Gear
Fender telecaster deluxe 72
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall JCM 800 100w head
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600