i'm just ordering a bareknuckle warpig pickup for my 7-string schecter, and have been faced with the option of either having alnico or ceramic magnets. unfortunately i don't really know what the difference in tone is like, so i would appreciate any advice anyone here can give me ! i'm looking for a nice tight, clear low end with a decent lead tone that doesn't sound unnatural.

thanks
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/pickup_faq_part_1.html

There are 3 main types of magnets used in passive pickups; Alnico II (2), Alnico V (5), and Ceramic.
Alnico II is the lowest output and the smoothest/warmest/bassiest of the 3 main magnet types. Alnico V is higher output than Alnico II and has more trebly/midrange bite than Alnico II. Ceramic is the highest output of all and the most trebly/biting. In general, Either Alnico II or Alnico V can sound good distorted or clean, but ceramic pickups generally produce a tone that isn't as pleasing clean, but somewhat preferred for heavy distortion.

this was taken from that pickup faq page, i didnt write any of it.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
^ thanks man, i searched the forums but didn't actually think of searching the main website! sounds like ceramic would be best for me as i use the neck pickup for all my cleans, cheers
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Quote by Led Pepplin

Generally, A ceramic magnet will yield a tighter bass response than an Alnico V one, but it will also have much "harsher" treble and midrange response.

the Bareknuckle Warpig is a pretty tight pickup in its own right, but adding a ceramic magnet makes it very tight, gives it a higher output, and makes it a bit more metallic/unnatural sounding. However, this can be eq'd using the allenbolts. (Also the type of magnet chosen for the pickup is usually the best match for most players)

Honestly, if you want a tight, but clear low end, you are probably looking for an alnico V magnet pickup. And if you want a good lead sound, I would recommend going for something with more smooth, prominent midrange, like a Nailbomb. The Warpig is capable of beautiful cleans and dah Br00t@lZ, but it's not quite as versatile as the 'bomb.

Whatever choice you make, you will be happy. Every pickup that Bareknuckle makes is amazing.

Good luck!
I actually have a set of calibrated Nailbombs in my 6 string and I have to agree, they're amazing! But for my 7 i'm after the harsh, tight, clear low end, although I may add a Nailbomb to the neck position when Christmas rolls around

Quote by Led Pepplin