Hey everybody, I am a college student from the US and at the end of August I am going to spend the semester abroad in Bath. My question is this, because of all my baggage, I am going to have to leave my guitars at home, and buy an acoustic when I get over there. This is going to have to be a real budget guitar (preferably less than 80 pounds). So does anyone have any suggestions of any stores in the area i could check out for something that is cheap, and still sounds somewhat decent. Any help would be great, thanks.
There are a few decent guitar shops in Bath, and there's plenty in Bristol too. You're bound to find something decent.
Why not wait until you get there, and find some people who can help you? It'll be a great way to meet someone interested in guitars, and make a friend or two.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
You're stepping into argos guitar territory here my friend.

You can get an acoustic for £15 if you don't mind the tone of cardboard.

Electric-wise you could get a low end squier, or maybe some sort of mid range beginner guitar second hand.

You're best bet would be second hand, I know someone who got a decent Epiphone SG for £30, so look in the local Ad-mag.
Last edited by rizo299 at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Why not wait until you get there, and find some people who can help you? It'll be a great way to meet someone interested in guitars, and make a friend or two.

Agreed. Also Argos guitars aren't a super great bet.
You may well have to turn to Argos, but before that I would check Duck, Son and Pinker. It's a music and instrument shop by the shopping center in Bath, they may have a few bargains
Half Iago, half Fu Manchu, all bastard.
You can definitely get some decent Classical Guitars for less than £80, though Daisy has the best point.

Even Ebay could have the best deals.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
bath hold that really awesome blues and jazz festival i think

awesome that you are going there

and in england, just walk down the high street, you'll find somewhere thats good
lol@u
Quote by justsam
You may well have to turn to Argos, but before that I would check Duck, Son and Pinker. It's a music and instrument shop by the shopping center in Bath, they may have a few bargains

Yes! that's where I got my electro-acoustic!
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

And yes, Argos. I got a nice £60 Encore Blueburst. It sounds rather nice when you use teh nickel string and looks great!
Alright, Thanks for all of your help, I think I am just going to wait until I get over there, and then once I am there for a day or so, go find something, and meet some people. Also I am just curious, in the UK are there any large national chains similar to guitar center or musicians friend in the us
Quote by wiggyisgreat
There's a few guitar shops in Bristol, that's not too far away.

The one with the electric doors that you have to be buzzed in/out of? Aside from the incredible security measures they have they're a nice bunch in there. Quite a big range on offer too.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by justsam

I went there when I was in Bath, pretty good selection of guitars, didn't carry what I was looking for though (Dimarzio pickups)
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
yeah i would ask people when you get there
but like someone said Bristol isnt far..youre bound to find something there
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit