well ive been playing a lot of jazz lately and i like how im progressing but when im improving all my bass lines and riffs seem to be in the major scale. what are some other common scales used in jazz improving??

EDIT: Artist: medeski martin and wood, jaco pastorius, john scofield
so mainly like jazzy fusion instrumental stuff
Last edited by fudger at Jun 30, 2008,
What kind of jazz are you playing? Can you give some song examples?

A fun scale to improvise with is the Whole step / half step diminished scale, which works well over those half diminished chords that you find often in jazz.
Quote by anarkee
What kind of jazz are you playing? Can you give some song examples?

A fun scale to improvise with is the Whole step / half step diminished scale, which works well over those half diminished chords that you find often in jazz.

That'd be the Locrian mode, right?
Quote by MustangMan311
That'd be the Locrian mode, right?

No, not exactly.

The whole tone / half tone is a slightly different scale. Its an octatonic scale (8 notes). Wikipedia does a good job of explaining it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminished_scale
The major scale with an added b6, also known as the bebop scale, probably the quintessential jazz scale, along with the melodic minor and its modes.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Another scale you hear a bit in jazz is the Lydian Dominant scales. I also use the Blues scales and the Pentatonics, myself, esp. in more blues based jazz.

EDIT: You may want to check this out as well...

http://www.greatmusicproductsonline.com/proddetail.asp?prod=99778BCD
Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, *inhales* Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale, Blues Scale.

Ok, I pray you got the point of that. Blues scale really works good for newer styles of jazz, like fusion. And it's just a really fun scale to run, it also comes in handy for funky styles.
Actually, if you really want to dig deep reading-wise, I'd recommend Dan Haerle's Scales for Jazz Improvisation. Its instrument agnostic, but it covers just about everything you would want to know and has a handy chart in the back that tells you what scale to apply where.