Does anyone know any scales i could learn so i can learn improvising solos?all i know is the simple pentatonic scale but if anyones got any other scales they could tell me about that would be great!
Cheeers
The major scale.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
learn the major scale and use it as much as you can for awhile. then once you have a firm grasp on it starting looking at the modes. those should come along easily then. the major scale is far too important to be over looked. dont go into the harmonic minor just yet, you MUST understand the major scale. so learn the major scale. then all those other scales people are prematurely telling to learn will come easily. learn the major scale, get my point?
good luck and have fun with it
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by mattrsg1
learn the major scale and use it as much as you can for awhile. then once you have a firm grasp on it starting looking at the modes. those should come along easily then. the major scale is far too important to be over looked. dont go into the harmonic minor just yet, you MUST understand the major scale. so learn the major scale. then all those other scales people are prematurely telling to learn will come easily. learn the major scale, get my point?
good luck and have fun with it

I couldn't agree more...

Major (Ionian) is the first step... The you can attack the other modes...

Quote by demonofthenight
Pentatonics for beginners.
NOT major scales and NOT modes and NOT harmonic minor.

He said he already knows the pentatonic scales. The next step should probably be the major scale.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
make sure you can play the pentatonic in the same key in all possible positions, then learn the major scale, though really you should learn the notes on the fretboard, that makes learning scales a lot easier.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by demonofthenight

Why shouldn't a beginner begin with the scale on which almost all western music is based?
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Why shouldn't a beginner begin with the scale on which almost all western music is based?
It's great for writing preset melodies, as you can have all the time in the world to feel for the right next note, but for improvisation you dont have time to do that.
It's hard to sound melodically or harmonically bad with pentatonics. So I recomend pentatonics to beginners as it is easiest for them to work on their phrasing and technique. Untill the T/S can honestly say "I like the solo's I improvise with the pentatonic scale," they are not ready to move on.
Quote by demonofthenight

disregard this silly post,
really get into the major scale and get it under you fingers and in your ears, im not saying dont play the pentatonics (they are great), but do this first
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make sure you can play the pentatonic in the same key in all possible positions, then learn the major scale, though really you should learn the notes on the fretboard, that makes learning scales a lot easier.

All positions?

Just learn the notes on the fretboard then learn the notes in the scale. Don't bother learing box patterns.
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
All positions?

Just learn the notes on the fretboard then learn the notes in the scale. Don't bother learing box patterns.

Why not? It's the easiest way of learning to play across all fretboard. I say definitely learn pentatonic scale in all positions, and form all strings and then move on to the Major scale and it's modes. And do the same thing with those.
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
All positions?

I say learn both, having the box patterns in muscle memory is very beneficial for improvising, you don't always have time to think of intervals and whatnot when you're trying to keep up with the rest of the band.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I say learn both, having the box patterns in muscle memory is very beneficial for improvising, you don't always have time to think of intervals and whatnot when you're trying to keep up with the rest of the band.

Learning both is good, but I very rarely use box patterns when improvising because they're very limited in what can be done with them. You don't need to remember the intervals, just the notes in whatever key you're playing in. If you know the notes of the fretboard, then put two and two together and you can improv in time anywhere on the fretboard without problems. The best thing a beginner can do is learn the notes on the fretboard, then the notes of each key, and then on to intervals and scales etc. I did it this way, although I already new most keys and major scales from previous music experience and I found it easy enough to improv, and I still don't know any box patterns apart from the minor pentatonic.

~Taydr~
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
I don't find box patterns limiting at all, assuming you know them for all of the positions you can do just as much with them as you can knowing the notes of a scale.

Last.fm
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
All positions?

everyone has to learn the scale in some sort of box position at first, then you learn where the intervals repeat and after a while you don't even seem as if you're playing any pattern at all. Learning the fretboard is something that comes with time

I learned the penatonic scales first, then the major scale. I sort of wish I did it the other way around