i tried getting the answer myself... google, search the forums, and nothing. so my question is what is "a.h" above a note in guitar tab? i'm trying to play pawn shop and theres an "a.h" in there
artificial harmonic, barely place your finger on the fret wire of your string and which fret you are going to harmonic off of and strum the string and right when u strum let your finger off the fret and itll ring out
Quote by Dimebagjeff
artificial harmonic, barely place your finger on the fret wire of your string and which fret you are going to harmonic off of and strum the string and right when u strum let your finger off the fret and itll ring out

That's a natural harmonic.
fret a note then at the same time with your right hand lightly touch the fretwire 12 frets above. Then pick with right thumbnail or pick.
Quote by rbouchard47
fret a note then at the same time with your right hand lightly touch the fretwire 12 frets above. Then pick with right thumbnail or pick.

More than likely the "a.h." just refers to a pinch harmonic, as tapped harmonics are not as common.
Quote by Dimebagjeff

this is not an A.H. this is a natural hermaonic. an A.H. is a pinch, you have to create the harmonic yourself.
Sorry for the hijacked thread....but whats the deal with natural harmonics?

I can do it, but I hear the faintest sound....When do bands actually use natural harmonics?
dude if your playin metal a pinch is like the greatest thing sounds soo good. look at necrophagist, dragonforce etc...when you hear that high pitched squeel that the pinch. and yours may not be sounding out that well bercause you have it in the wrong place on the string. when you pick it you can sound them anywhere on the string between the neck and bridge, but there are spots that sound out the best. each note has a "sweet spot" find the sweet spot and your pinches will squeel like a dying bird.
Quote by RounderIII
Sorry for the hijacked thread....but whats the deal with natural harmonics?

I can do it, but I hear the faintest sound....When do bands actually use natural harmonics?

yes, people use natural harmonics If you can't hear them you're doing something wrong or you need to change your amp settings. if its an acoustic you're just doing something wrong. some are more audible than others
Quote by Dimebagjeff

that sounds like a natural harmonic to me... but +1 to you.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by Free Time
yes, people use natural harmonics If you can't hear them you're doing something wrong or you need to change your amp settings. if its an acoustic you're just doing something wrong. some are more audible than others

I did it on an electric and it sounded pretty good.

On an acoustic its faint as hell.
it depends on the acoustic and technique. I have no problems doing it on either but if its a pos acoustic its not as audible