I don't mute. I just hit the string that's necessary.

EDIT: And because I am an avid RHCP fan I knew which song you were talking about. But for everyone else. It's "Can't Stop" by Red Hot Chili Peppers off of the album "By the Way"
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at Jun 30, 2008,
Ive been wondering for awhile too. Hopefully someone will reply.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
I play it with my thumb up around the 4th and 5th string and my index finger going back to the 2nd string. I found it a lot easier to do it like this and without a pick because you can mute the strings with the finger you pick it with, of course it does make the riff lack punch, and i do tend to play oddly
- The anti-yamaha.
Quote by UpliftMofoMagik
does john mute every string but the one he is playing or just some of the strings?

All the ones hes not playing.

And i use my thumb for the top string, and then use my index to mute the rest.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
I've always wanted to get this technique down, but I could never get it to sound right. I barre (mute) with my first finger behind the seventh fret, then use my middle and pinky to play the first set. For the second, I wrap my thumb around to mute the E and A strings, then mute everything else but the D with the rest of my fingers so only the open D sounds. The rest I do the same as the first set, if that makes any sense.

But yeah, if anyone else has any tips on playing with this style, I'd love to know. I always end up hitting harmonics when I'm muting, it's annoying as hell.
Im not sure what john does live, but I prefer to play 5th fron on the A string than the open D string.

I use my index finger to fret the 7th and 5th frets on the A string (obv not at the same time, lol), and also mute the 4th 3rd 2nd and 1st strings with it. I then use my middle and pinky to fret the notes on the G string. All the time, I have my thumb wrapped round on the E string to keep it muted.

When it comes to the notes on the E string, I use my middle finger to fret them notes, and also use it mute the 5th and 4th strings. The index and pinky plays the notes on the G string, with the Index also muting the 3rd 2nd and 1st strings when appropriate.

The technique does take time to get down, but keep practicing and it will happen :P Hope my fingerings for it help you.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.