Page 1 of 2
well i'm dyin to get a hold of a strat or tele for added versatility of my style. i'm not looking to spend over $300 max. i'm not trying to get the nicest one out there, i just want one that is good quality stock and could easily be upgraded to pro level. pretty much like i've done w/ my G-400.

so far my options that i'm considering are:

1) used MIM strat/tele

2) Agile/SX strat/tele

the only concern i have w/ agile/SX teles and strats is that i do not know how they compare to the les pauls of Agile (which are considered Godly)

i want something that will sound incredible with a nice pup swap and quality tube amp. i don't have the budget to go and get a used MIA strat/tele so that's not really an option.

any other suggestions welcome, though i'm NOT looking for a super-strat thank you. so no jackson soloists and stuff like that. i'm preferring all single coil pups or at least neck single coil pup.

thanks UG
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Squier Affinity series, replace the neck and pickups.

There are quite a few websites that have strat bodies, necks, hardware, all that good stuff for sale. Check out the guitar building/customizing forum. Huge list of stuff.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
haha sorry i don't want a squire. don't really care how nice one can sound, i'm anti-squire and yes i have played a few.

not really into building my own guitar as i don't have the time. want one that's ready to be plugged in when i get it. i find time occasionally to do a small task on my equipment, but usually don't have the kind of time for putting a guitar together. i'm a very busy person...usually.

i WILL get to the point eventually when i order a bunch of parts from Warmoth and just put it all together, but right now i need one that'll already be ready for some performing

thanks for the tip tho!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
look for a used player strat they go for like 550 new but you could snag a used one in the 300s range that is way better than the mexi standards
^srry bro but the budget is TIGHT. college student. help gma pay some bills here and there. pay my own insurance and gas and such, so after everything's payed for i need to have a lil left over. my budget IS kinda tight. and i'm a firm believer in making guitars sound ten times as good as they cost.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sstash.html

that LOOKS like a good strat to mod, but i don't know if the quality is high enough. i mean, $110 just seems too low for it to be good....i'm trying to think what exactly would be lacking in these guitars. if the wood is of good quality and so is the neck, then all i'm looking at worrying about is electronics. and that wouldn't be a prob for me.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
wow i'm really wanting to know if there's anything stopping an agile strat from potentially being a tone monster...

if not, then i might just have to pick one up for sh*ts and giggles....and of course record teh clipz!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
find a used MIM. i love my MIM strat.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i was heavily considering that...

but...

the finishes on some of these SX strats are just so niceee.... they LOOK much nicer than their price tag implies.

i mean, look at this: http://www.rondomusic.com/sstltd2.html

that's just beautiful

i'm not too attracted to the solid black strat or most solid colors of them. other than white that is. i prefer being able to see the wood grain, more vintage.

not to mention, this strat/tele i choose will be used mostly for blues and praise/worship, so having it look vintage will be a plus.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by chea_man
find a used MIM. i love my MIM strat.

MIM strats are great.

I have a 1991 MIM Olympic White strat

Definitely an awesome guitar.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
i'm GAS'n for a wood grain finish lol....

wow i'm too picky.... i'm NOT throwing out the possibility of getting a MIM, i'm just leaning towards the SX lol....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
ok, then get one. i dont really understand.
are they made from decent tonewoods?
if yes, go for it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
solid ash body (makes for a bright sound?) and AAA flame maple neck and fretboard.

seems like good quality wood to me. for just under $200, i don't think you could go wrong.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh, and what don't you understand? lol, appearance DOES mean somethin to me as well as the sound. and woodgrain is always sexier than solid color.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I wouldn't buy a guitar I couldn't play first. You'll have much better luck with a MIM in that regard. Plus it's much easier to mod a fender, since all the aftermarket products are made to fit them.
The SX basses are decent, I don't see why the guitars wouldn't be either?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by slash_rocks2005
oh, and what don't you understand? lol, appearance DOES mean somethin to me as well as the sound. and woodgrain is always sexier than solid color.

I recmmedned a used mim, and you said you want a rondo/sx for reasons x and y. So get that guitar, i dont understand what else you need to know.
like someone else said, i would want to play a guitar before i bought it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
i would assume that Agile/SX makes their strats/teles to accommodate Fender parts.

ionno, i'm keeping a lookout on craigslist for the next few months on strats/teles.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
dude if the SX can accommodate fender parts then go for it. that guitar is a terrific deal. solid ash body AAA flame maple neck that is ridiculously cheap for something made with high end material
i've emailed them to find out if fender parts/accessories fit naturally.

i just realized that the price INCLUDES a hardshell case...that's insane...now it's looking TOO good to be true which may be a bad thing...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
well my guitar has played a few SX's and said on the ones he played had terrible electronics and the pots and jacks and to be replaced and the soldering was quite shoddy. So, just a warning.

I'm such a bonerkill...
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
well the electronics part doesn't surprise me. i've changed pots before. hmm if you happen to remember how he liked the tone let me know tho
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh alright, i didnt want to be too pig of a boner kill.
He said they sounded alright, I'm assuming changing the pickups would make a huge difference, as the stock ones aren't too great.
As long as you don't mind resoldering an changing out some pots, you're good to go
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
i'm anti-squire sorry!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
^ Why exactly? The dudes at TDPRI are creaming themselves over it and the delicious pine-ness.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i'm anti-squire sorry!!

why are you so anti-squire?
i can only think of one reason to not like a squire for modding, and im guessing thats not the reason you have.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
past experience. they've felt like toys to me. and my logic is if i'm going to get a strat/tele, i should get a MIM fender as they play sooo much nicer!

then i saw these and just wanted more info on them
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
My little cousin, about 12 years old got a squier starter kit for her birthday, I set it up for her, turned it into a complete shred machine.

I actually wouldn't mind owning that guitar she has. It played and sounded quite well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i tell ya what, i'll give squire a second chance. i'll play a couple at the shop next time i go in alright? and i'll give a go through a nice tube amp so i know how it'll sound stock w/ good equipment. and if it turns out to be really good, despite my past experiences, i'll reconsider.

i try to be fair lol. but if they don't have a natural grain type finish i'll be very dissapointed
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
http://www.rondomusic.com/product848.html

this is the other contender. i can't decide between the strat and this tele.....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Well realistically, you get what you pay for However, if your looking for a strat/tele in natural, I'd personally be all over this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special?sku=515115
I know you're anti-squier, but its the same wood as the MIM teles, and you're not paying for the logo With pickup changes etc, I'd take this over an MIM anyday
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i'm anti-squire sorry!!

You're anti Squier and yet you're willing to spend your money on an SX guitar which is highly likely to be shit and you can't try out. Squier affinities are nice.

Thread reeks of imbecile.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
You're anti Squier and yet you're willing to spend your money on an SX guitar which is highly likely to be shit and you can't try out. Squier affinities are nice.

Timi, you're absolutely right
This guy drives me nuts. Not only is he a slash fanboi (and was obsessed to the point of making a thread about slash's equipment) He also refuses to buy a SQUIER (YOU KEEP SPELLING IT WRONG) because "they feel like cheap toys". Yes!!!, Because they're made out of ALDER and obviously have a real wooden neck. Yes, thats right, the neck is made out of wood.
You don't realize it, but they player makes the guitar. I can play just as good on my squier as i can on my ibanez rg550. The only difference is feel. It's not like every squier guitar has half a fret sticking off the side of a nato neck or anything, you need to open your eyes. Yet you're willing to buy a SX piece of crap. Lets see here, it has a 1/16 of an inch flamed maple veneer, a 16 piece ash body, 3 underwound single coils to save on wire costs, and a "hardcase" made out of 1/4 inch plywood.
Yet you still havent mentioned getting a MIM tele or strat?
Is there something wrong with your brain?

well the electronics part doesn't surprise me. i've changed pots before. hmm if you happen to remember how he liked the tone let me know tho

How do you think he liked the tone? It included a hardcase and a flamed maple top for 200 bucks.
DOY.
This thread should be closed for stupidity, IMO.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
um the last two posters need to take some midol because i stated last night in the thread that i WOULD try out some squiers at the local shop, that i WAS looking at MIM fenders too (stated in the OP i'm pretty sure and i gave MY reason for not liking squier guitars. but like i said, i stated that i would give em a second go. just bc YOU like squier and someone else doesn't, isn't a reason to go apesh*t on them.

and call me a fanboi all you want, hate me- i don't give a sh*t.

i think timihendrix needs to get off his bitch fit he's had for the past month or so, just cuz you're pissed at the REST of UG doesn't mean you need to take it out on ME for reasons that aren't even sensible. you both need to learn to READ THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD clearly.

and once you two realize that i DID ALREADY state that i was looking at MIM fenders from the get go AND would still give squier a shot, you'll STILL try to make ME look like the idiot here. well go ahead.

i've seen quite a few vids on youtube showing the SX strats and their tone is quite great with a pup swap.

i'm sick of UGers constantly looking for fights. i can be as picky as i damn please, i don't plan on having more than a couple electrics at one time so if i want to take my time in choosing the right project strat that's MY decision. now if you two would like to stop trying to bring me down and insult me that would be GREAT, i have no desire for a stupid e-argument.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005

i think timihendrix needs to get off his bitch fit he's had for the past month or so, just cuz you're pissed at the REST of UG doesn't mean you need to take it out on ME for reasons that aren't even sensible. you both need to learn to READ THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD clearly.

The reason I'm pissed off at UG is because this entire forum is overrun with cretins like you.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
cretins like me? that's funny, last time i checked i get on here everyday to help others. i think the slash-gear thread was the only thread recently that anyone could debate on whether or not it was much helpful- but i've gotten messages and replies that it HAS been very helpful to the new guys out there.

you tell ME how i am considered a CRETIN on this site. you seem to be a quick name-caller but have not even backed it up. i've seen in all these threads lately you've been posting with such an attitude problem i figured it'd be short time before you somehow tried to bring ME down too, i just didn't think someone could be so damn negative all the time.

i've stayed out of YOUR way, maybe posted an occasional friendly thing to ya in the past, so why don't you do ME a favor and either stay on the same level or just not bug me with your negativity? find another thread to go and insult someone b/c i'm not dumb enough to let you trick me into thinking i'm actually a 'cretin'.

if you've got more insults, send them in a PM. unecessary bashing will further be REPORTED so to keep this thread on topic. sorry if i come off as a d*ck now but i don't believe i instigated this.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Used G&L?

Edit: I have 2 Affinity Squiers. One is mod'd already, the other is soon to be. Love them, especially for the prices used...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix

+1 to that. That's why you're a cretin.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
enjoy your report UpTheIrons

everyone was warned and this thread has no need to be infested w/ unecessary flaming.

let me reiterate once again, b/c obviously people have not read through the ENTIRE thread.

i stated last night that i WOULD look at squiers and give em a second chance, i didn't like the first three i played on b/c they were all mediocre. they were of friends so for all i know it could have been THEM poorly setting them up to have lots of buzz and tuning problems. THAT'S why i decided to give em a second go.

and i have NOT made any final decisions yet, i am gathering as much info on SXs from owners as i can before i go looking around for some. and if you don't think the guitars can possibly be any good for as cheap as they're priced, go check em out on youtube, i found a lot of vids of really great sounding SXs. but i'm still leaving it to UGers to tell me they're playability and such.

and to gregs,

i've seen a few around at pawnshops that i'll go back and check for. unfortunately, none of the pawnshops carry tube amps as i think the owners are to smart to try an get shafted at a pawnshop for their tube amp, so i'd have to plug into a mediocre SS amp. that won't really give me an idea of what it'll sound like as i've got two tube amps here at home i use.

but yes, i'm keeping that in mind!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Page 1 of 2