dumb question, but do amp heads have speakers? like, if you just had an amp head and not a cab, could you play through it? or do heads just process the tones, gain, etc and send it through the cabinet? thanks.
No, nope speakers in a head. Just the power/preamp side of things. Must be plugged into a cab.
then what does it mean when there is a tube amp head? I thought the tube was a type of speaker system? I'm not doubting you, I just know nothing about all of this stuff.
Amp heads are just the distortion unit, cabs are plugged into amp heads. (Called a stack) And an amp head with a cab in it is a combo amp.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Tubes are valves, that classic Marshall sound. Combo amps have speakers and amps built in and they can still be tube amps.

Delboy
Quote by luuuuuuukee
then what does it mean when there is a tube amp head? I thought the tube was a type of speaker system? I'm not doubting you, I just know nothing about all of this stuff.

Tubes are not the speaker, but the way the preamp/poweramp are powered, for lack of a better way to explain it. For example, your iPod would be solid state, using tranistor based power. A tube amp uses tubes (or valves). They are the glass, glowing lightbulb like things you'll see in the back of a combo amp/head.

So an amp head can have tubes, or be solid state. It makes no sound by itself. It has an output jack which you plug into the cabinet (where the speakers are) to power it.
Quote by luuuuuuukee
and an amp head NEVER makes any sound? what is a tube amp head then, if they don't make any noise? isnt a tube what gives the SPEAKER its warm sound?
http://www.bananasmusic.com/productdetail.asp/pid_10973/productname_Marshall-JVM410-100-watt,-All-Valve-Amp-Head

Heads NEVER make sound alone. They have to be plugged into a cabinet full of speaker(s). Yes, the tubes in the poweramp/preamp give it that warm sound.

That link was to an amp head. No sound by itself.
Quote by TheProducer
Heads NEVER make sound alone. They have to be plugged into a cabinet full of speaker(s). Yes, the tubes in the poweramp/preamp give it that warm sound.

That link was to an amp head. No sound by itself.

oh, alright. I thought the tubes were directly connected to the speaker. thanks
It will make a sound if you plug a speaker cab into it. A bit like your Hi Fi. Try unplugging you speakers on that, you wont hear a great deal.
Quote by luuuuuuukee
oh, alright. I thought the tubes were directly connected to the speaker. thanks

No problem.

An amp head is just like taking a combo amp apart. Or maybe like your home stereo that has detachable speakers, or even your iPod. Same thing, but just in two pieces.

Just also more flexibility and combination to be had.
so the tubes produce the sound, but they dont amplify it? like the tubes in the head produce the warm tubey sound we all love, then send it to the cab to get blasted?
Quote by luuuuuuukee
so the tubes produce the sound, but they dont amplify it? like the tubes in the head produce the warm tubey sound we all love, then send it to the cab to get blasted?

Not quite.

In a tube amp there will be preamp tubes and poweramp tubes. Preamp tubes will color the sound, etc. Poweramp tubes will 'blast' it, so to speak. They create the power to be output into the cab. The typically contains nothing but speaker(s). No power, nothing. Just like a pair of headphones.

The warm, lovable sound comes from both the preamp and poweramp tubes.
itd like driving a car with no gas in the tank. sure everything is there, but your missing key piece
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.