I have a Strat and Im in a metal band.. Im getting new pickups. Duncan JB ... Im getting it to move to more of a metal tone. Im new to pickups so im kinda lost... I only need to be one correct? And if so... Do I put the pickup on the bridge, or neck? Ive seen both done..I have one volume knob, and two tone Knobs..In previous posts people have argueed about that so im stating it now. Please dont leave feedback syaing im making a wrong decision..If you do..AT LEAST answer my question. Thanks guys. I appreciate it. :]
you're making a TERRIBLE decision LOL. you NEED a nice tube amp before you go upgrading pups, otherwise the difference in tone will be MINIMAL. you'll notice a tad more output probably, but it won't go from bland sounding to awesome sounding, it'll just be a lil more defined.

if you're gonna upgrade pups, get em ALL done at one time. but before that, get a REAL amp.

that's the facts bro.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
looked at your other thread where you asked for a good concert amp and ur budget was like no more than $300 rite?

no offense, but most new guys go for a SS amp in that price range.

am i wrong? if you DO have a tube amp, then by all means do what you were planning BUT swap ALL the pups so that way they ALL sound better.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Ha. well Its just that my income isnt too high at the time...so i was planning on doing the pickups first..i am in fact getting a tube amp in like 2 months. Thanks though. I really appreicate your help
well just think about this:

you could get the pups FIRST and notice a small change, and have to wait till you build ur saved money back up to what it is now and THEN even more to get a good amp, OR

you could save more money NOW and have a nice tube amp SOONER, which will result in HUGE tonal difference (good one) and upgrade pups later down the road when ur savings get up again.

it's up to you, but if it were ME, i would rather wait two months for new pups and have the tube amp sooner rather than the other way around.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh, and upgrading pups wont work as a 'quick fix' to your tone problem. if you don't like ur sound now, no matter how you EQ, then you still won't like it after ur pup change. only difference is that your guitar will sound a lil less muddy, but not necessarily better.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Honestly if i had the money i would go with that. But the price i would have to drop for a tube amp is alot more for the pups..There 80 bucks a piece.. but the tube amp would cost me like..idk 500? Ill be getting a check soon with the money but i have 250 to blow now..so im gonna get the pickups..but yeah. I understand. thanks
idk my duncan jb sounds awesome thru ss amp. the tube amp thing is just a myth imo
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
lol the only difference between mexican and american strats are that mexican strats are made by mexicans in mexico, and american strats are made by mexicans in america...
^^^ +1. Also, you never know - the amp may give you enough tonal change, and you won't even need a pickup swap.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
the tube amp thing is NOT a myth i can guarantee lol. if it sounds awesome through your SS amp, it's prolly cuz you have a good quality one and have EQ'd it right. but if for some reason you couldn't ever get a good sound of that amp, changing your pups wouldn't change that hardly at all.

$250 is halfway of a TON of good tube amps bro...now that i know how close you are already to a tube amp, i completely DISAGREE with what you're about to do! LOL. you are too close to being able to purchase an amp that getting those pups instead would be complete idiocy. no offense of course!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
nah its cool thanks. but How much money would i have to drop for a tube amp for a concert with like 30 people?
i could pull off a small concert of 30 people prolly w/ my blackheart little giant and thats 5 watts. assuming you don't need pristine cleans.

15 watts tube would be a good safe amount. and there's a blackheart handsome devil combo that is 15 watts tube, and has a half power switch. i believe that is $400 brand new. i love blackheart amps.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Playing without drums, you could do it with a valve junior, about $100 used.
With drums, a blues junior or a classic 30 would do it, both are around 300 used.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
the tube amp thing is NOT a myth i can guarantee lol. if it sounds awesome through your SS amp, it's prolly cuz you have a good quality one and have EQ'd it right. but if for some reason you couldn't ever get a good sound of that amp, changing your pups wouldn't change that hardly at all.

$250 is halfway of a TON of good tube amps bro...now that i know how close you are already to a tube amp, i completely DISAGREE with what you're about to do! LOL. you are too close to being able to purchase an amp that getting those pups instead would be complete idiocy. no offense of course!!

It is somewhat, my guitars all sound noticeably different through my analog SS amp, as well as through my digital modelling POD. Different sounding guitars sound different, always. Tubes pick up on the more subtle changes, but a clearer, more defined sounding pickup will make anything sound nicer.

Quote by Roc8995
Playing without drums, you could do it with a valve junior, about $100 used.
With drums, a blues junior or a classic 30 would do it, both are around 300 used.

None of which could do metal if their tubes depended on it.

If you can find a used Peavey VHT-60/120 you might be almost all the way to having enough for a new amp. Failing that a used 6505 or 5150 might be the next cheapest/best deal. There's also a number of solid states that are worth looking for. Ampeg SS-70 and VH-140s are worth trying if you can find, they're a legendary amp of 90s extreme metal. Or, try a Crate GTX3500H, which is a 350 watt monster clone of the old Ampeg SS/VH amps.

I'm sure other people will have their own recs, but that's what I'd be GASing for.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jun 30, 2008,
one thing i have to clear out guys...When I DO buy a tube amp. Would a 15 watt TUBE work in a METAL band with about 30 people
yeah, it'll be loud enough to get over drums.
Not much clean headroom, though.

Don't know any 15 watt tube amps voiced for metal, though.

Your best bets for a budget metal amp would be:
a Randall RG50TC
a Roland Cube 60
a used Line 6 Flextone II
a used Line 6 Flextone III
some people like the Peavey Valveking for a budget metal amp
^ the orange isn't really a metal amp...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, and I'm assuming the Krank wouldn't be loud enough either, it's more of a practicie/recording amp.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I wouldn't stick a JB in a Strat. It's gonna sound too bright.
I would go for a Seymour Duncan TB-11.

20W tube is plenty. Any gig that it wouldn't be able to handle normally would be mic'ed anyway.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Yeah, and I'm assuming the Krank wouldn't be loud enough either, it's more of a practicie/recording amp.

I've got a JB in my SL3, which also has an Alder body, and it sounds great. Brighter than most guitars? Sure. Nothing rolling back my treble doesn't fix.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the orange isn't really a metal amp...

Then again, neither's the JCM-800.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2