I was just wondering if it was acceptable to use economy picking in place of alternate picking. I realize you can do whatever you want but I'm just wondering if using economy picking will be detrimental in the long run? Will it affect my speed and/or precision? I've heard alternate picking is the way to go but economy picking feels way more natural to me. I play mainly, classic rock/blues and maybe a little metal in the future if it matters. Thanks
For what you play you should get by. However if you want some real speed to your playing, learn alternate picking. Practice solely on the top string. An open string will do. It may be more comfortable if your palm muting too (though, do learn how to do it without it).
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
I do plenty of fast solo stuff and use almost strict economy picking, and it has never been a hindrance to me in the least, the way i see it its named as such because it is economical... besides the fact it its impossible to economy pick without utilizing alternate picking in the process
Honestly I've always considered economy picking a bad habit. I strictly do alt picking, it gives you much better attack and timing. Just my 2 cents, there are many great players who economy pick, but its just not for me.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Economy picking was always natural to me to, it works fine.
Life Sucks, And Then You Die

So make the very best of it

My Last.fm Profile

Please check out my Youtube, and friend me if you like it. I do C4C, and I gladly will crit anything if you ask me.

I <3 My Xiphos
You can economy pick if you want, but people with really good ears will be able to spot that your fast runs aren't as "rhythmic" as a person who strictly focused on alternate picking does, Paul Gilbert is a strict alternate picker and all of his fast runs are all rhythmic and even.
Neither is right or wrong; as long as you practice your method of choice well then it doesn't matter which one you choose.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Even most of the players who economy pick switch to alternate picking when they really want to fly. One exception I can think of is Gambale who is all economy, all the time, but otherwise no.

I don't see why you don't particularly want to bother with straight alternate picking, if anything, it's even easier than economy picking as there's no extra muscle movement, simply up-down-up-down repeat.
They're really the same thing, economy picking is little more than alternate picking when transitioning between strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
this was actually a surprise! i actually thought i needed to learn economy picking or else i won't be able to play fast enough. i actually learned how to alternate first and tried economy but i just gave up. i think its really whatever suits you
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Total noob question but what exactly is economy picking I never really got it
Seattle Will Rise Again

Rig:
Vox Amp thingie I have no idea its small who cares
Fender Mexi Fat Strat ( I Stole from my friend during his F- Guitar phase)
fender jaguar HH with a Bigsby Vibrato
Quote by (o)=:::
Total noob question but what exactly is economy picking I never really got it

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/economy_picking.html

That article explains the idea well but the author seems to be under some kind of bizarre illusion that you have to economy pick to get any kind of speed, which is just not true.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Economy picking means that you pick with "economy." If you are going to move down a string, you pick down through the first string and into the second. So:
-------3----------
--0-2------------

would be picked up-down-down. Once you learn it, it's supposely quite natural. Both are valid, useful techniques but never forget that economy picking requires alt picking, the converse is not true.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Even most of the players who economy pick switch to alternate picking when they really want to fly. One exception I can think of is Gambale who is all economy, all the time, but otherwise no.

I don't see why you don't particularly want to bother with straight alternate picking, if anything, it's even easier than economy picking as there's no extra muscle movement, simply up-down-up-down repeat.

No, if you play some of Paul Gilbert's picking licks, you need to be good at economy picking to get it to sound as clean as he alternate picks it, considering his signature picking lick starts in a down stroke, plays three notes then goes to the next note in the scale, that'd require an upstroke, which is extra muscle movement.
basically the alternate camp has this going for them: there is arguably more control over note emphasis, and tonality with a down stroke, than an up

however if you stick with economy for long enough you gain just as much control if not more

the reason being I've always found that if you want a note to have some real emphasis you hit it with an upstroke, and because of the way that most guitarists naturally hold their pick its forced to have slightly a harsher and louder attack giving the note a nice pop.... which by the way, is why Paul starts most his distinct sounding, signature licks with an upstroke.

so either way is valid, its up to personal preference. Paul Gilbert is my husband id go gay for him in a heartbeat, but i happen to disagree with him on this one
An easy way to learn to alt. pick is to play a scale, but hit each note twice, once with a downstroke and once with an upstroke. That's how I learned to alt. pick.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Honestly, I've always thought it's whatever sounds best. Zappa did a lot of economy/sweep picking, and it sounded amazing. But he practiced 17- 20 hours a day. So I'm not sure if I'd suggest it. Besides, if you're playing blues, alt picking gives you much more range of tone, and all-around feel. So I've got to go with alt picking, since it'll more than likely be worth it.
Last edited by pensiveintensiv at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by pensiveintensiv
Honestly, I've always thought it's whatever sounds best. Zappa did a lot of economy/sweep picking, and it sounded amazing. But he practiced 17- 20 hours a day. So I'm not sure if I'd suggest it. Besides, if you're playing blues, alt picking gives you much more range of tone, and all-around feel. So I've got to go with alt picking, since it'll more than likely be worth it.

So, he didn't need to eat or sleep?
I'm jealous that you know how to economy pick so well and I don't.

I learned alternate picking pretty easily. I've always wanted to learn economy picking just to know how to, but it's really hard since I'm so used to alternate and I just never got around to teaching it to myself. I personally think alternate picking is probably the most versatile, especially for speed and timing, but for stuff like blues and jazz economy picking should be fun to know
Quote by mrvile
I'm jealous that you know how to economy pick so well and I don't.

I learned alternate picking pretty easily. I've always wanted to learn economy picking just to know how to, but it's really hard since I'm so used to alternate and I just never got around to teaching it to myself. I personally think alternate picking is probably the most versatile, especially for speed and timing, but for stuff like blues and jazz economy picking should be fun to know

You're set on the strict up-down-up-down movement, that's not so versatile, but it does help for timing and rhythm, I believe hybrid picking is the most versatile.