Ok, I'll cut straight to the chase, lets say I went into private guitar tuition full time as a career, what is the wage actually like? I've done my research here, but nowhere seems to yield any answers, can somebody please shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
20 bucks an hour, maybe?

You need a sh*tload of students to live comfortably.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Unless you're really top of the line and a private teacher, i can't see you making too much money.
The best teacher in my town (teaches classical, amazing guitarist, his lessons are expensive too) does it on the side because he can't make a living off it.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
private tuition? you can charge whatever the hell you want but whether people'll pay it or not is another matter.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
my instructor charged $12 dollars a lesson, he was also a friend of mine. It was his "night job." 12 dollars once a week times about 10 students. Try that...120 a week times 4...nope
Unless you charge 50 dollars a lesson, your f***ed up
I pay $15 for a half an hour lesson. Yeah most guitar teachers also do a band and gig alot.

My guitar teacher also works for Guitar Center and is in a couple of bands. So yeah, dont quit your day job.
Quote by fatwanker
Ok, I'll cut straight to the chase, lets say I went into private guitar tuition full time as a career, what is the wage actually like? I've done my research here, but nowhere seems to yield any answers, can somebody please shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

i run a private music school, money is okay depending where you are and how successful you are average of 10-15k but thats taking into account you can only work 30 hours a week normally and you can claim most things back on tax so its 15k net. you really need a 2nd income like i do running a wedding band which makes me 400 quid per gig. dont teach into schools it will make you depressed and suicidal!

I charge 20 quid an hour for lessons
Last edited by tuwyci at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by tuwyci
i run a private music school, money is okay depending where you are and how successful you are average of 10-15k but thats taking into account you can only work 30 hours a week normally and you can claim most things back on tax so its 15k net. you really need a 2nd income like i do running a wedding band which makes me 400 quid per gig. dont teach into schools it will make you depressed and suicidal!

I charge 20 quid an hour for lessons

Cheers man, really appreciate the advice, I've got a lot of thinking to do concerning my future career over these next 2 weeks, and this was the path I was originally thinking of taking, I've just been very unsure of what the money is like, and thought it might be a good idea to take a less risky career, I'll talk to my mentor at college tomorrow about it. Again, cheers.
Quote by tomadey.
my guitar teacher charges £13 per lesson.
he does about 5 lessons afterschool every night.
and about 5 during the day 3 days a week.
he plays a gig at pizza express every week and earns £50 and free pizza and free beer.
he does other stuff too but thats all i can remember.

so i guess on average he earns about £2000 per month.
im sure he does other stuff.
and all thats a rough guess.
thats not bad at all.

if you can get a deal with the school, like the single school guitar tutor then you can make a lot from that.

Hmmm cheers, I just need to think of ways I can actually make money from my music, its the only thing I'm actually good at haha.
20 bucks for a 1/2 hr lesson, if you do 2 students an hour and thats 40 bucks for an hour .
Quote by gblues rocker
20 bucks for a 1/2 hr lesson, if you do 2 students an hour and thats 40 bucks for an hour .

Yeah thats all well and good, but getting enough students is where this idea falls apart in my opinion.
Quote by griffRG7321
not that much i think.

become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

HAHA, sig'd

guitar tutors don't earn much usually, I know a couple of guitar tutors who have to take second jobs to support the family

Quote by misfitsramones
become a guitar god, then charge $500 for 30 min

last I heard satch is charging $4000 for an hour 1 on 1 lesson
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by fatwanker
Hmmm cheers, I just need to think of ways I can actually make money from my music, its the only thing I'm actually good at haha.

well that was the situation i was in, did a business degree then worked in offices i totally HATED. I went part time with teaching and gradually built up steady pupils then left my job. Then i started the wedding band and employed ex pupils and immigrants so i get most of the earnings, however this is a lot more stressful. Next thing is im setting up a band agency so i get commission for other musicians going out and playing.
Last edited by tuwyci at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by tuwyci
well that was the situation i was in, did a business degree then worked in offices i totally HATED. I went part time with teaching and gradually built up steady pupils then left my job. Then i started the wedding band and employed ex pupils and immigrants so i get most of the earnings, however this is a lot more stressful. Next thing is im setting up a band agency so i get commission for other musicians going out and playing.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea, thing is I don't have a backup like business or anything, seeing as I took music at college, and I'm not sure if it was the right move, thats why I'm questioning a lot on it.
teaching always gives you 30 hours of work a week because any more is really tough going mentally and because most kids are in school so working hours 3til9 ish. theres also a lot of cancellations and summers are brutal some people just think you work for a school so they take 7 weeks off guitar. But i genuinely feel like im in holiday everyday while my girlfriend leave the house at 6.30 and comes home 12 hours later for the same money and she hates it.

TBH whatever business you go into the music is irrelevant i just teach because its what i know i may teach driving because of extra pupils. The actual enjoyment of teaching happy birthday 10 times a week is nil. If i could teach how to twiddle my thumbs from home and have no travel and no tax liability i would do it lol
Quote by tuwyci
teaching always gives you 30 hours of work a week because any more is really tough going mentally and because most kids are in school so working hours 3til9 ish. theres also a lot of cancellations and summers are brutal some people just think you work for a school so they take 7 weeks off guitar. But i genuinely feel like im in holiday everyday while my girlfriend leave the house at 6.30 and comes home 12 hours later for the same money and she hates it.

TBH whatever business you go into the music is irrelevant i just teach because its what i know i may teach driving because of extra pupils. The actual enjoyment of teaching happy birthday 10 times a week is nil. If i could teach how to twiddle my thumbs from home and have no travel and no tax liability i would do it lol

Yeah, I've been thinking teaching whilst doing other things, I just need the ideas for other things aswell really. Also if you don't mind me asking, approx how much do you earn?
Quote by fatwanker
Yeah, I've been thinking teaching whilst doing other things, I just need the ideas for other things aswell really. Also if you don't mind me asking, approx how much do you earn?

with everything in full its about 22k net but that took an investment of 6k for the band (PA, Van, Lighting etc) and a lot of the time i have to work 6 days because you cant work 9-5. Most of the progression like i said above was just through finding out the dodges from others. I auditioned with a girls wedding band and she was paying session rates of 100 quid per player for the band BUT charging 1k for gigs. Do the math!
im going for my first guitar lesson on wednesday. He's charging 45 an hour is that outrageous or acceptable?
Quote by rbouchard47
im going for my first guitar lesson on wednesday. He's charging 45 an hour is that outrageous or acceptable?

WHAT!! I wouldnt pay that for steve vai!
Quote by tuwyci
with everything in full its about 22k net but that took an investment of 6k for the band (PA, Van, Lighting etc) and a lot of the time i have to work 6 days because you cant work 9-5. Most of the progression like i said above was just through finding out the dodges from others. I auditioned with a girls wedding band and she was paying session rates of 100 quid per player for the band BUT charging 1k for gigs. Do the math!

So you're living comfortably off that? and I guess theres always chance to earn more with more things you do, I guess I'll have to talk it through with my tutor at college tomorrow. Cheers for all the advice mate.
Quote by tuwyci
WHAT!! I wouldnt pay that for steve vai!

Agreed, although I wish I could charge that much haha.
student numbers are the key to making cash, but if you got the goods and the word gets out that your a good teacher,the students will come . dont quit your day job!
Quote by fatwanker
So you're living comfortably off that? and I guess theres always chance to earn more with more things you do, I guess I'll have to talk it through with my tutor at college tomorrow. Cheers for all the advice mate.

22k net is what you get in your pocket mate so thats 1800 a month. its all about what you want if you want to do accounting earn 50k and hate your life and pay 40% tax or not. Cash in hand is a huge incentive
Quote by tuwyci
22k net is what you get in your pocket mate so thats 1800 a month. its all about what you want if you want to do accounting earn 50k and hate your life and pay 40% tax or not. Cash in hand is a huge incentive

I guess so, I didn't really look at it that way, at the end of the day I could just make more money by doing extra stuff on the side of the teaching, like you said with the band agencies thing, thanks a load man, really helped me clear my mind up a lot on this.
no worries, what you can do if its part time is teach 3 kids an hour or more and charge 10 quid each. everyones a winner
Quote by tuwyci
no worries, what you can do if its part time is teach 3 kids an hour or more and charge 10 quid each. everyones a winner

Haha yeah, that was an idea I had to be honest, along with guitar setups and mods too, as I know all about rewiring guitars installing floyd roses and what not, thought it'd be an extra bit of cash in pocket if I did decide to go through with this.