It seems like fate is conspiring against me for some reason. For the past year and a half or 2, I've been trying to form a band, but have had no luck whatsoever. I've exhausted every option possible to try and form one (flyers in stores, on telephone poles at busy intersections, in music shops, etc.), but can't seem to find anyone at all who wants to do anything. Everyone I ask is either already in a band or doesn't want to do anything when I ask them. The direction I want to go in is a mix of hard rock and metal, but more in the metal direction, and most of the stuff I write has been described as a mix between Godsmack and Alice in Chains only heavier with a little Rob Zombie and Lamb of God thrown in. I've described very specifically the direction I want to go in in my ads, but anyone who wants to do a metal band anymore just wants to do that horrid screamo bull****. Can you guys (and gals) reccomend me some other options as to what I should do to attract attention?
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
rent a plane and do some sky writing
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
This may seem like I'm taking the piss but I'm seriously offering you this advice that might help you sort out your problem.

Get a copy and read this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People

It was written back in the 30's to help business men get more work pretty much and might apply well to your bandleading.

And if you can't be bothered to buy a copy, here's one for free.. shhhh.

How To Win Friends And Influence People
I'm looking for some serious answers, douchecakes.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Well, join another band that maybe you're not super into and try to get your name out there. Maybe you'll end up liking the band and being able to insert your sound into it more or if it sucks try to steal the good members and do your own thing. If that doesn't work, think about relocating if you care so much.
Enter something refreshingly witty here:
either be your own band (BYOB) lulz... anyways.. or find personal friends to be bandmates with.. nobody wants to answer to an ad on a telephone pole.. that is lame.. if you know people who play, then ask them if they want to jam with you sometime.. don't ask them to be in a band with you.. that's like asking someone to marry you without asking them out first..

then, as you get more into the band road, you will find other musicians, hear of other bands breaking up, stuff like that, and will get members
dude, i'm in the exact same position. im trying to make a band with a very similar style. you hit the nail on the head with hard rock and metal with taste of alice in chains. i dont want any of that screaming bull **** either, i want an actual singer. i can;t find anyone t commit. and most people that are willing to are already in a band. I'm a guitarist with another guitarist who are dedicated with drummer with adhd who cant keep a beat for 5 ****ing minutes, just plays blast beats...its ridiculous. but ya man i feel youre pain, what area are you around? im in the new york buffalo area

i apologize for the horrible spelling and grammar, i normally write decent but im exhausted from long ass hours at work and dealing with bitchy bass players and drummers with no focus....
Last edited by i bleed metal at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by Helloween_rox

I AM serious, read that book. It covers a tonne of stuff about good leadership and gives advice as to how you can influence people yourself and start something great, such as a band.
Quote by Helloween_rox
douchecakes.

If you talk that way to people, maybe thats part of the problem.
Quote by Helloween_rox

heres a searous answer maybe your too much of a dick and no one wants to be in a band with you

^^^

lol the nicer version up there
Quote by i bleed metal
dude, i'm in the exact same position. im trying to make a band with a very similar style. you hit the nail on the head with hard rock and metal with taste of alice in chains. i dont want any of that screaming bull **** either, i want an actual singer. i can;t find anyone t commit. and most people that are willing to are already in a band. I'm a guitarist with another guitarist who are dedicated with drummer with adhd who cant keep a beat for 5 ****ing minutes, just plays blast beats...its ridiculous. but ya man i feel youre pain, what area are you around? im in the new york buffalo area

i apologize for the horrible spelling and grammar, i normally write decent but im exhausted from long ass hours at work and dealing with bitchy bass players and drummers with no focus....

Dude, bassists are the hardest to find, and the hardest to keep band members, they all eventually wanna be the lead guitarist. Also, blast beats are fine, just not when they drummer pukes them all over the songs. Too bad you're so damn far away, I'm in south Jersey, like 30-45 mins outside philly, depending on traffic. You seem like you want to go in the exact same direction as me.

Quote by Les Paul Ell
I AM serious, read that book. It covers a tonne of stuff about good leadership and gives advice as to how you can influence people yourself and start something great, such as a band.

I was referring to the 2 tools that posted before you. As they say on the gamewinners forums "argh! Nimrodded!" (referring to a member who would post so much that if you posted without a quote to the person you were replying to, it'd be highly likely he'd get his response in before yours making you look like a complete asshat)
I knew a guy who had a real tough time getting a band together this year. He went in and out of members, dealed with people who didn't want to play what he played, but finally he discovered his old guitar player, turnd out to be an alright drummer, and can keep a beat for the stuff that he plays (Grateful Dead, Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan). He became friends with a kid he met this year, and they both enjoyed the same music, but he found out he played guitar, and he was already a guitar player. Turns out that the kid he befriended was also an alright bass player, and now they have a band. Try and look for people who play more than one instrument, or put yourself out there more with meeting new people.
rape innocent women
raise the children to make music

EDIT:

i found an ad for people in your area that want to start a band
click here
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
Last edited by Zacky Zoijian at Jun 30, 2008,
Well, so far on this thread you've had two guys who, if they lived in your area would probably be more than willing to join up with you. So I guess the answer would be to look for local musicians over the net.
Have you tried placing an ad in your local press?
Get a recording interface, and record all the instruments yourself (if you can do that). If you can't, just record the demo acoustically.

Now take the demo down to the nearest busy street, and give copies away for free, and on the CD put your email, phone number, etc. and say that you are looking for a bassist and a drummer. Take copies with you everywhere in case you run into someone who wants one.

Problem solved.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS