Page 1 of 2
Okay I just started getting into shred guitar. I already have a agile AL-3100 but not really for shredding. I was wondering what would be the best shred guitar overall for under 500 USD, since it will only be a secondary guitar.

thanks
ibanez s/rg models, and Jackson's.

You might be able to find a deal on a Rg550
ibanez=shred
esp=shred
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Guitars make TERRIBLE sheds.

I was under the impression that to buy a guitar with the intention of shredding is to buy one with the intention of playing fast on it, so I would think the guitar you should buy would be whatever one is most comfortable for you to play on.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Ghold125

sorry to be a git, but wtf is that apostrophe doing there?

on topic: +1 to the ibanez. RG is an affordable durable model. Avoid the S/SA and many jacksons, as the majority only have 22 frets.
Get one of those ESP LP knockoffs, and don't buy an Ibanez unless you're going to spend over a $1000 on it.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Get one of those ESP LP knockoffs, and don't buy an Ibanez unless you're going to spend over a $1000 on it.

LOL WUT. Sorry mate, but you're tallking bollocks there.
Quote by exect4500
theoretically speaking you could shred on most electric guitars

Exactly.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Tom_hatton
LOL WUT. Sorry mate, but you're tallking bollocks there.

Bullocks to some people, yeah. Oh noes, an opinion.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by exect4500
theoretically speaking you could shred on ALL electric guitars

Fixed.

A good shred guitar is one that you feel comfortable on and like the tone of, nothing more. Try as many guitars as you can get your hands on and find the one you like the feel and tone of most; that's your shred guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Bullocks to some people, yeah. Oh noes, an opinion.

In this case some people= most shedders.
The guitar doesn't make you shred. A good shred guitar is a guitar you feel comfortable playing. I personally love both of my guitars, which is why I bought each of them, and when I look for another guitar, it will be another one I'm comfortable playing, and the brand makes no difference to me.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by AsShadowsRemain
Jackson > Ibanez

Anyday...

Just my personal preference.

I agree there, but some people prefer the paper thin necks, they just dont feel comfortable to me.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Fixed.

A good shred guitar is one that you feel comfortable on and like the tone of, nothing more. Try as many guitars as you can get your hands on and find the one you like the feel and tone of most; that's your shred guitar.

Yes!
Just shred on the Agile. It'll be only marginally easier, and adjusting to the thin neck will take as much time as it will learning to play fast on it.

However, if you want a more metal guitar, I'd look into LTDs.
Dickless.
yeah its just hard getting to the higher frets on the agile. And there are no 24 frets.
Can anyone give any specific model ESP's or LTD's. All the ones ive seen have been fairly expensive. Any good cheap ones?
Quote by bWsWwrestler
And there are no 24 frets.

Since when did shred require 24 frets? It's only two extra notes...

I refer anyone and everyone to my post on page 1:

Quote by Me

This is the truth, trust me.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah im going to guitarcenter soon i just wanted a idea of what to check out cause i hate staying in there too long or else you get a bunch of bad salesman telling you why to buy something your playing.
Quote by bWsWwrestler
yeah im going to guitarcenter soon i just wanted a idea of what to check out cause i hate staying in there too long or else you get a bunch of bad salesman telling you why to buy something your playing.

However, if you go in there a lot, the salesmen go from "oh hey buy this" to "oh man we just got a new jem in, check this out." It's rather nice.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by bWsWwrestler
Can anyone give any specific model ESP's or LTD's. All the ones ive seen have been fairly expensive. Any good cheap ones?

just look at any of the 400 or higher series. M, MH, EC, F, Viper...goes on
Quote by Me2NiK

I was under the impression that to buy a guitar with the intention of shredding is to buy one with the intention of playing fast on it, so I would think the guitar you should buy would be whatever one is most comfortable for you to play on.

+1876524871524899

if your comfortable playing guitar then you should learn how to shred on that, and just get some pickups that make the notes really "pop" out, theres your shred guitar.

kudos me2nik
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Since when did shred require 24 frets? It's only two extra notes...

well th two extra notes gives you the octave, letting you play in standard, letting you not have to worry about jumping a couple frets when your drop tuned
Quote by codyshredfoo
well th two extra notes gives you the octave, letting you play in standard, letting you not have to worry about jumping a couple frets when your drop tuned

I don't know aobut you but I have heard of a mysterious technique that lets you get notes you don't have the frets for, what was it called again...oh yeah, bending

Seriously, 99% of the world doesn't use the extra 2 notes for 99% of the time.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by codyshredfoo
im not stupid.

Who said you were?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Try this guitar, it's pretty awesome for shredding...

it's 99$ above your price limit but it's totally worth it:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5120-Electromatic-Hollow-Body-with-DualCoil-Pickups?sku=513282

EDIT: YES I was kidding!
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
Last edited by Dumebuggy at Jul 1, 2008,
I can shred on my Ovation Celebrity (which is a steel string acoustic), just get something you like, not something that people say is for shred, I would save up more and in the meantime learn to shred on what you've got, it'll only make you better once you do get a "shred" guitar.

and to the guy above, I don't think a Gretsch would be any more ideal for shred than what he has now, unless you are kidding in which case, lol.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Ghold125

In particular, for the RG's/Jacksons, they must be relatively high-level guitars, Ibanez RG1570 or higher, or Jackson DK2/Ke3/RR3/what have you in the PRO/MG series or higher.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Me2NiK

yeah, they don't work well at all for that.

anyway, i'd be wary of anything with a locking trem at that price. I'd probably stick to hardtail. Though you might be able to get an ibanez s320 or something like that under budget, which'd be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't know aobut you but I have heard of a mysterious technique that lets you get notes you don't have the frets for, what was it called again...oh yeah, bending

Seriously, 99% of the world doesn't use the extra 2 notes for 99% of the time.

i cant reach the extra two notes on my guitar
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
haha yes the ibanezJEM is my all time dream guitar but its a little out of my price range. Haha no wait its way out of my price range

Also what ibanex RG is the best bang for your buck. And same question but for the jackson Dinky.
Last edited by bWsWwrestler at Jul 1, 2008,
Page 1 of 2