hey folks, i saw, well actually heard, the most amazing thing last saturday. i was at the marketplace looking around for cheap guitar stuff. i saw these indian (native american) guys selling indian stuff and i saw this indian guy playing his flute to this backing track. it was the most soulful and expressive i have ever heard compared to the excessively noisy and retardedly masturbatory shred metal and thrash metal which i listen to daily and dearly hold in my heart lol. this compelled me to search on the net for indian and indian influenced guitarists, i looked it up on google all i got was ****. does anyone know any indian or indian inspired guitarists?
Last edited by v2a2n2g2 at Jun 30, 2008,
Ha ha that's awesome!
Dude you won't believe this but I heard that Jimi Hendrix had Native American roots and it had an impact on his music. I'm not totally sure about the details, I read it in one of his biographies... Anyway you should totally research it!
And of course we all know Jimi was "quote" soulful and very expressive!

Thats cool man I hope you find some more!
I doubt you'll find anything.

Sure, an Indian guy can play guitar, but it's not going to sound any differant from your average player solely because of his genetic make-up.

The guitar is an invention of western society; I don't think ancient spirits of the Americas will flow through one.
really? that sucks. i saw these CDs the indian guys were selling at the marketplace, you think studying it and putting it into my style of playing is a good idea? Btw you should listen to the song For the Love of god by steve vai, i think that is indian influenced
Quote by 5/4
I don't think ancient spirits of the Americas will flow through one.

You haven't played my guitar then. The spirit of Sweeping Deer is channelled through the strings.
Quote by v2a2n2g2
Btw you should listen to the song For the Love of god by steve vai, i think that is indian influenced

Where? I don't hear it.
lol at thread

Yeah, jimi said that alot of his stuff was inspired from native american music. The cover on bold as love was meant to be native american themed, but the english cover designers misunderstood and gave it an asiatic indian feel.

Regardless, native american music is mostly pentatonics, isn't it? Thus the wonders of the pentatonics; that celtic cultures, indian (both asiatic and american) cultures, chinese cultures, japanese cultures and african cultures would all use the same scale.
So yeah, wank a pentatonic if you want to sound indian. Just make sure your phrasing is right.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jul 1, 2008,
^ it is all about phrasing. i saw this awesome band on PBS once that was just a bunch of native americans, they were playing everything and it sounded VERY much like a bunch of native americans. it was quite excellent. i do remember aside from guitar there was a flute, obviously a drummer and i remember there were some other random percussion instruments as well as some bells and chimes and i think one fool did a xylephone solo iirc.
I thought I might bump this up, and maybe ask if anyone knows of any groups/albums that would fit in with this particular "Ethnic" Music theme? I mean FolkEarth has some amazingly diverse sounds, but nothing that really relates to anything Meso-American or Native American.
Quote by :-D
Where? I don't hear it.

I think he was referring to the sitar, which was used instead of another guitar for rhythm.
Quote by v2a2n2g2
i saw these CDs the indian guys were selling at the marketplace, you think studying it and putting it into my style of playing is a good idea?

If it touched you so deeply it would be foolish not too. I like lots of contemporary music that uses world music influences but I can't think of anything inspired by native American music.