Page 1 of 2
Ok, this is just out of curiousity, but how much do YOU know about your favorite guitarist? What bands was (s)he affiliated with in the past? What about now? What brand of guitar do they use? Do they prefer a specific shape over another? Picks? Cables? Strings? Pickups? Amps? I'll start.

Alexi Laiho:

Bands? CoB, synergy
Guitar? ESP SV shape, signature series.
Picks? Dunlop Jazz III's
Cables? No idea
Pickups? Blackout ABH-1
Amps? Marshall heads idk about cabs

Ok, so everyone else try! Just list all you know about your favorite player!
I could talk about Kurt Cobain's gear for paragraphs but I don't think you folks have the time or the interest to read it.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Ghold125:
Bands? solo
Guitar? Dean ML X
Picks? Dunlop Tortex
Pups? stock deans
Amps? B-52's

Quote by Me2NiK
I could talk about Kurt Cobain's gear for paragraphs but I don't think you folks have the time or the interest to read it.

same with frusciante,then again so many others on this thread know so much more than me, and i know a pretty fair amount

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Don't get me started on Jon Schaffer. I can tell you his life story, his favorite strings, who paints his guitars, how old his dad was when he died...

This can't be healthy.
Quote by Ninjake
... isn't mung like, a bean?
Alexi Laiho:

Bands? CoB, synergy
Guitar? ESP SV shape, signature series.
Picks? Dunlop Jazz III's
Cables? No idea
Pickups? Blackout ABH-1
Amps? Marshall heads idk about cabs

He uses a jcm900 when his rack isnt present, I believe.

Otherwise, lee jackson gp1000 preamp, VHT poweramp, and so on.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I gave the guitarist from mgmt a doughnut, that count for anything?
Seattle Will Rise Again

Rig:
Vox Amp thingie I have no idea its small who cares
Fender Mexi Fat Strat ( I Stole from my friend during his F- Guitar phase)
fender jaguar HH with a Bigsby Vibrato
Guthrie Govan

Bands - Asia, Erotic Cakes, The Young Punx
Guitar - Suhr, all sorts
Picks - Don't care, probably quite thick though, I remember something about that in an instructional video...
Cables - Good ones?
Pickups - Suhr probably
Amps - Cornfords, mainly an MK50 but has been known to use a Hellcat.

Paul Gilbert

Bands - Racer X, Mr Big, Solo
Guitar - Ibanez, mainly RGs and his PGMs but has any number of 'lawsuit' guitars
Picks - Probably his ibanez signature pickups
Cables - Not sure, most recently spotted using curly ones (Hendrix style), possibly Fender
Pickups - DiMarzio mainly, ToneZone and PAF Pro, I think he uses stock Ibanez single coils
Amps - ADA MP-1 Preamps back in the old days, switched to Laney (mainly GH50Ls) for a long time and has recently endorsed Marshall (the Vintage Modern series, mainly combos)

That's my two favourites...I may know a bit much in places.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have problems with Mikael Akerfeldt obsession

>>
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by herman ri2
edusty2010

Bands? Kid Geta****inglife
Guitar? Getalife 600 signature series.
Picks? Dunlop Life III's
Cables? Monster life cables
Pickups? SD getalife-outs
Amps? Marshall G.A.L. (get a life) heads idk about cabs

It's like you tried, but promptly failed miserably.
Joe Satriani. Hmm....

Bands - generally solo, played a little for Deep Purple before Steve Morse and gigged with Mick Jagger some.
Guitar - Signature Ibanez JS series (100, 1000, and 1200. I own the 1000)
Picks - heavy, signatures
Straps - signatures with hand drawn cartoons. (I own the up in flames one)
Pickups - PAF Pros and PAF Joes.
Amps - Peavy JSX signature series
Pedals - Keeley modded DS-1, Dunlop 535Q Crybaby, original Whammy pedal, Fulltone Octave. (these are just off the top of my head. I'll check guitargeek later b/c I don't know what he uses for delay.)
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
Joe Satriani. Hmm....

Bands - generally solo, played a little for Deep Purple before Steve Morse and gigged with Mick Jagger some.
Guitar - Signature Ibanez JS series (100, 1000, and 1200. I own the 1000)
Picks - heavy, signatures
Straps - signatures with hand drawn cartoons. (I own the up in flames one)
Pickups - PAF Pros and PAF Joes.
Amps - Peavy JSX signature series
Pedals - Keeley modded DS-1, Dunlop 535Q Crybaby, original Whammy pedal, Fulltone Octave. (these are just off the top of my head. I'll check guitargeek later b/c I don't know what he uses for delay.)

Two Boss DD-3's I believe.
Last edited by Iceman 420 at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by mrvile
It's like you tried, but promptly failed miserably.

same way how when you try to play guitar

OH SNAP! I when there..
Adam Jones

John Petrucci

I've been on UG like 6 hours today, I don't believe I'll put my effort into this post...and both of those guys have monster rigs...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
well...I could go ON about Andrew Stockdale. but i wont.

I love that mofo.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Matt Bellamy - Muse:

Bands? Muse
Guitar? Mattocaster Manson Series (most famous is his silver manson, with a built in zvex fuzz factory for controlled feedback)
Picks? Unknown
Cables? Unknown
Pickups? Fernandes Sustainer
Amps? Marshall Cabs, Soldano/Deizel Amp Heads with Line 6 DL4 Delay and A Digitech Whammy Pedal/Rocktron all access pad

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
chris broderick:
ibanez prestige 7 strings into ENGL powerballs and an occasional bogner uberschall. probably some of the new ENGL's in the mix every once in a while too.

jeff loomis:
schecter loomis sig 7 strings, krank prototypes.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I have Eric Clapton tied up in my basement. I'm puttin' him on display if you want to check him out!
Don't have a favorite guitarist ATM, but I know bits about Petrucci's and Adam D's gears...

Used to be obsessed with the Black Dahlia Murder but they use pretty simple rigs so...

EDIT: ehh, whatever...

Syu
Bands: Galneryus, Animetal (and there's one more but I forgot)
Guitar: Used a ESP EX with EMGs before getting his signature ESP (the Crying Star, not available in the US by conventional means)
Picks and Cables: no idea
Pickups: I'm guessing EMG 81/85 set before the sig ESP, (now) EMG 89 and SAV, Duncan JB and ESP Junction-SS.
Amps: Used Hughes And Kettner in earlier Galneryus, uses Marshall DSL, JTM-45, Vintage Modern and either TSL or JVM heads now. Marshall cabs.
Pedals: Vox wah, Boss GT-8, Marshall Guv'nor (Plus?), Boss pedal tuner

That was from the power metal days btw...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 1, 2008,
Lamb of God
Past bands Burn The Priest (Just Mark, Willie joined later in LoG)

Mark:

Guitars: Signature Jackson Dominion, used to play a Jackson jazz strat guitar with SD pickups and a hardtail bridge with a sunburst finish both of which used SD Passive JB and 59 and various Framus' including a Tele shaped one with the Neck pickup takin out and a SD Invader in the birdge positions, all of which used SD pickups, but now the Dominion has EMG's for Live br00tals

Amp: Has used Rectifier's in the past, but now uses 2 Mark 4's one with a mix of 6l6 tubes and EL34's the other with straight 6l6's, somewhat of a V shaped EQ on both
into standard Mesa Rectifier cabs. Mark's tone has more Bite to it than Willie's does so that solo's cut through better and for riffage they form together very well.

Strings: GHS 52-10 Boomers in Drop D tuning and Double Drop D tuning for about 1/2 the songs on the setlist for live shows.

Various Dunlop pedals, using the original crybaby or the zakk wylde crybaby, depending on the venue, and also a EVH MXR Phaser pedal and a Green overdrive MXR used as a boost for solos

Picks: Dunlop 1.17 mm purple picks (thickest) for a more aggresive and immediate attack

Willie:

Guitars: Used to use Framus guitars with various SD Passives (one being a sunburst model, another a blackburst model, and the 3rd a chrome special, now uses a signature ESP with SD 59 and JB pickups

Amps: Used to use Mesa Rectifiers, then switched to the Mark 4 just like Mark, but instead in Framus cabs, and he only had 1 Mark IV in the Ashes of the Wake era, now he uses a Mark IV and a Triple Rec for live use and recording into Mesa Rectifier cabs now. He has a more dark tone to his guitar sound for a stronger rhythm crunch.

Strings: GHS 52-10's in Drop D tuning

Both of their guitar tones have been said to compliment each others very well for recording and live use as of lots of guitarists have problems with tracks being cancelled out in recording mixing because the sounds were to alike as of Mark and Willie have avoided that even in the very low production recording days (New American Gospel) and didn't experience guitar tracks cancelling each other out until they laid more than 3 rhythm guitar tracks for some songs in Sacrament. They used Rectifiers and Mark IV's in the recording of New American Gospel, only Mark IV's in Ashes of the Wake, and Rectifiers, Mark IV's, Marshall JCM's and DSL's, Orange Thunderverbs, and various other smaller amp brands during Sacrament.

As you can imagine, I was a pretty big LoG fan at one point.
Last edited by bowen at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by herman ri2
edusty2010

Bands? Kid Geta****inglife
Guitar? Getalife 600 signature series.
Picks? Dunlop Life III's
Cables? Monster life cables
Pickups? SD getalife-outs
Amps? Marshall G.A.L. (get a life) heads idk about cabs

loosen up man, have some fun lol.

BTW, You got two things right, I use monster cables and Dunlop Jazz III's, I'm flattered I'm your favorite guitarist
I think I know a little bit about Mr. Vai

Bands: played the tennis racket when he was a toddler. picked up the guitar when he was 13, also played the accordion. wouldn't let anyone hear him play guitar. made his first orchestral score when he was a freshman in highschool. Hot Chocholate, Ohio Express, Ravge, Bold as Love (Hendrix cover band), Axis, then Morning Thunder were bands he was in during highschool. he later went to Berklee.he started transcribing Frank's stuff. on his 20th birthday, moved out to Cali to play with Frank Zappa. Then later, he played with David Lee Roth, Alcatrazz, Whitesnake, then went solo.

Guitar Steve has many many guitars locked away in his vault. Lots of them are custom JEMs made by Ibanez that never went on market. He also has JEMS with really cool paint jobs, like the one with flowers on it. Of course, he plays a custom JEM made by Ibanez, EVO, FLO, and MOJO are his main JEMS. He also has a triple neck JEM, DNA JEM, Ibanez Universe (7 string), he has a custom made guitar shaped like a heart, a custom guitar made for the Ultra Zone album, a guitar shaped like flames, some strats, a bc rich, and a custom green cutaway acoustic with vine inlays.

Picks Steve has custom picks

Cables custom made DiMarzio cables

Amp first used a stock Carvin x100B amp to record Blue Powder off his album Passion and Warfare. Then Carvin made him a custom amp called the Legacy, with custom cabs.

pedals morley bad horsie wah, morley little alligator volume pedal, ibanez tube screamer, rack delay, digitech whammy, boss distortion pedal, mxr phase 90, and steve's coming out with a new pedal called the Jemeni, which is a distortion pedal where you can make 2 different distortions, and have them both in one pedal; pretty cool.

Steve uses Ernie Ball strings, his birthday's on June 6th he was born in 1960, which means he turned 6 on 6/6/1966. his wife's name's Pia, he has two sons named Julian and Fire, he is also a record producer and owns 2 studios, and he has a charity called Make a Noise, he lives in CA and he uses a Honeywell fan on the floor when he plays.

He's also a beekeeper in his spare time, and he wears a size 13 shoe, just like his great grandfather.

Stalker?
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Jul 1, 2008,
Zakk Wylde
Bands? Black Label Society
Guitar? Gibson Bullseye / Flying V Bullseye
Picks? No idea...
Cables? Monster
Pickups? EMG 81/85
Amps? Marshall

Slash
Bands? Velvet Revolver
Guitar? Gibson Les Paul
Picks? Dunlop Purple Tortex
Cables? Monster
Pickups? Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro
Amps? Marshall
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by edusty2010
loosen up man, have some fun lol.

BTW, You got two things right, I use monster cables and Dunlop Jazz III's, I'm flattered I'm your favorite guitarist

You are my god.
Sir Richard of Blackmore-shire.

Bands: Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmore's Night,
Guitar: Fender USA Strat, sometimes an ES335. Not entirely sure, but I think he uses an Ovation acoustic guitar with Blackmore's Night now.
Picks: Who cares?
Cables: Again, who cares?!
Pickups: In Deep Purple and early Rainbow, completly stock.
Amps: Marshall Plexi, with the heads pushed to 200w. He only played through one 4x12 and kept the other incase the first cab blew up. He also uses ENGL amps nowadays and used a Vox AC30 in the 60s.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Ahm... With my 4 main sources of inspiration (Slash, Lemmy, Nikki Sixx and Mick Mars)... :aha I know way too much about the first two, learning about nikki, and I'm not too hot about Mick's gear, purely because it's changed so damn much. I'm probably no more of a stalker than the next guy, but I don't eat rabbit, so there's no point in been that bad
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
My favorite guitarist is black with a polka dot strat.

That's all I know
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Jimi Hendrix

Bands: Ike Turner, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, Band of Gypys, Cry of Love, Wild Blue Angel.
Guitar: Danelectro, Fender Jazzmaster, Fender Stratocaster, Gibson Flying V, Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul.
Picks: Fender Mediums
Cables: Not Sure
Pickups: I imagine stocked pickups
Effects: Vox Wah Wah, Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, Roger Mayer Octavia, Univox Univibe
Amps: Marshall Plexis (had an endorsement from Sunn amplifiers but preferred Marshalls)
I have that in general for entire bands that I periodically become obsessed with.

I tell my non-musician friends obscure facts about a band and they don't seem to be very interested haha, I guess only guitarists find that stuff interesting.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
I'm not gay but I do know a (semi) lot about Eddie. I dont know his middle name (Yokeijivick?), I dont know when he got married or divorced, But I do know how to make his guitar pretty much.
Saul "Slash" Hudson

Bands? Guns n Roses, Slash's Snakepit, Several Studio Recorders, Velvet Revolver
Guitar? '87 or '88 Gibson Les Paul w/ Seymore Duncan Alinco Pro II
Picks? Dunlop 1.13 Puple Tortexes
Cables? Wireless of some sort.
Pickups? Seymore Duncan Alinco Pro II
Amps? Marshall JCM, Vintage Moderns, '59 Modded, Voxes, Fenders and the like.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I thought you were asking if we were groupies....
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Buckethead:

Bands? Praxis, Pieces, Thanatopsis, Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, Gorgone, Deli Creeps, Guns 'n Roses, Buckethead and Friends, Godflesh, Class-X, Science Faxtion, Giant Robot, Moonraker, El Stew, Cobra Strike, and Zillatron.

Guitar? Ibanez Rocket Roll, Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul (heavily modified w/ 24 fret ebony neck, enlarged body, white paint, DiMarzio pickups, killswitch, all white hardware and one volume and one tone knob) another black Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Chet Atkins SST, Takamine acoustic, Jackson Y2KV (custom made, out of "coopwood" - also with an enlarged body), a Jackson doubleneck (one guitar, one bass), Steinberger Kaiser's Gift, ESP MII (borked), Ibanez RG550.

Picks? No idea.

Cables? No idea.

Pickups? DiMarzios...

Amps? Mesa Boogie Double Rectifier, Diezel Herbert, Marshall JCM900, Marshall 1960A/B cabs, Peavey 5150, Peavey Renown, VHT Pitbull.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I have problems with Mikael Akerfeldt obsession

>>

I've noticed.. you Sir Slaytanic.. have the Aker-obsession.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Zakk Wylde

Bands
Zyris, Black Label Society, Stone Henge, Pride and Glory, and Ozzy Osbourne
Guitar Mostly Gibson Les paul customs (signatures) with unfinished maple necks and Emg active picukups, a few odd sig guitars such as the SV, and the coffin thing.
Picks No Idea
Cables Mogami Gold Series?
Pickups Actibe EMG 81/85
Amps Marshall JCM 800's voiced through Marshall 1960 Cabs

Carlos Santana

Bands
Solo
Guitar PRS signature, Gibson SG P90 pickups, some fender strats
Picks Triangle Guitar Picks
Cables Mogami Gold Series?
Pickups Signature PRS pickups?
Amps Mesa Boogie Mark I, Fender Twin.

Slash

Bands
Guns N Roses, Velvet Revolver, Slashs Snake Pit, Road Crew
Guitar 58' and 59' Les paul Replica by Kriss Derrig, 87' Gibson LP standard, and some Gibson signatures, but mostly all Les Pauls
Picks Purple Tortex
Cables Monster and some wireless system
Pickups Seymour Duncan Alnico pro II
Amps Marshall JCM's, Modded 59 Marshall in appetite for destruction
Guitars
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine white
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Skwisgaar of Dethklok:
Guitar: Gibson Explorer
Picks: Dunlop Jazz III
Pickups: EMG 81/85
Amps: Krank (?)
Pedals: Line 6
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Saul "Slash" Hudson

Bands? Guns n Roses, Slash's Snakepit, Several Studio Recorders, Velvet Revolver
Guitar? '87 or '88 Gibson Les Paul w/ Seymore Duncan Alinco Pro II
Picks? Dunlop 1.13 Puple Tortexes
Cables? Wireless of some sort.
Pickups? Seymore Duncan Alinco Pro II
Amps? Marshall JCM, Vintage Moderns, '59 Modded, Voxes, Fenders and the like.

I could've sworn it was a Les Paul '59 with Sunburst finish... >.>
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Page 1 of 2