Hi all.

I have a Johnson J-Station amp and cab modeller and it has a built in detuner. I'm trying to get an 8 string effect out of it but I'm just not sure about the settings to use....Basically I don't even know if it can be done using a 6 string guitar

So can anyone help me? Is there another pedal that I should look for instead of this?
Whammy pedal dropped an octave...

You really might want to consider an 8 string; it might be out of your price range seeing as you're asking for a pedal to do the job...

7 strings are more readily available, and you can downtune those no problem to reach 8 string range.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah an 8 stringer would cost me around $1999 at this point so I'm trying to avoid that.

I've never played a 7 stringer before nor do I know anything about it, so would this be the next best option? I'm just not sure about the whammy pedal seeing as analog detuners/pitch shifters tend to lag (in my experience) because I'm looking to play chugging fast downpicking stuff
Quote by indra13
Yeah an 8 stringer would cost me around $1999 at this point so I'm trying to avoid that.

I've never played a 7 stringer before nor do I know anything about it, so would this be the next best option? I'm just not sure about the whammy pedal seeing as analog detuners/pitch shifters tend to lag (in my experience) because I'm looking to play chugging fast downpicking stuff

I wouldn't trust effects to be part of my tone. I would use them to assist it, but not make it.

7 strings are just the natural step between a 6 and 8 string. A 7 string half a step down is quite low. Meshuggah used that tuning for Destroy, Erase, Improve. That album sounds huge and low.

I would look for an Ibanez RG7321. In the US they can be found used under $200. I would expect them to retail new for about $600 or so in Australia. Great bang for the buck. I would say they're worth it at $400-$500 in the US, fortunately they're cheaper.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Haha yeah I'm crazy about Meshuggah's Obzen now, basically I want to be able to play Bleed. That song's very chuggy and quick downpicking so I guess pedals are out of the question now.

I wasnt sure about buying a 7 stringer at first because I thought it would sound 'weaker' than an actual 8 stringer, but hey I guess you convinced me

Thanks!
Quote by indra13
Haha yeah I'm crazy about Meshuggah's Obzen now, basically I want to be able to play Bleed. That song's very chuggy and quick downpicking so I guess pedals are out of the question now.

I wasnt sure about buying a 7 stringer at first because I thought it would sound 'weaker' than an actual 8 stringer, but hey I guess you convinced me

Thanks!

If you notice most of Meshuggah's stuff is actually a 7 string. For live purposes, they've almost always used 8 strings, and obZen has quite a bit of 8 stringage. For the money, and for a new experience, I'd definatly go for a 7 string first. Going from 6 to 8 would be a huge leap.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I guess it sort of depends on the guitar, but what exactly is the difference between a 7 and 8? Neck scale differences? String gauges? I'm just wondering about what you said about them using 8s for live only

So should I be packing .70s when I'm using a 7 stringer?