Poll: Which is more important?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more important?
Talent/Technical Abilities
28 27%
Message and Attitude
41 40%
Something Else
34 33%
Voters: 103.
Me and my friend were sitting around the day listening to music. I put on some Dead Kennedy's, after a few minutes he said that he could never listen to that stuff because Jello is an awful singer. I let him change the music, so he put on some stuff by some band (sorry I don't remember the name), and they had a good singer, but the lyrics were water downed and seemed very generic.

So we argued about which was more imporant techinal abilities or message.

After letting this simmer for a few days, I was wondering what other people though.
Last edited by Landmines at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by Cryptorchild
...what?

What?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Slap him. Dead Kennedys FTW. I don't care how much vocal talent you have (unless you're Freddie Mercury, who happens to be dead), your music isn't going to be anything special without meaningful lyrics.
kill all humans
Disreguard my last post I understand what oyur saying.

I say the musician skills.
Although lyrics are nearly equal.
Some bands have perfection in both areas, example: Stump.
Why would I listen to a band that sounds horrible because they have a good message? That's some Christian Rock BS! I listen to bands that sound good, if they've got deep lyrics that's an added bonus. King Crimson > All!
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Slap him. Dead Kennedys FTW. I don't care how much vocal talent you have (unless you're Freddie Mercury, who happens to be dead), your music isn't going to be anything special without meaningful lyrics.

That was hilarious. You speak the truth as well.
I believe groups should have a certain level of talent, skill and polish to their sound. However, the attitude, style and level of innovation are what make or break music for me.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate a very talented musician especially when they're also an innovative and creative musician.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
For Metal (My favorite genre), technicality is pretty big while lyrics aren't as much but if the lyrics are meaningful it makes the band that much better...

For music where you can understand most of the lyrics, lyrics are important where technicality might not be.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by RU Experienced?
Why would I listen to a band that sounds horrible because they have a good message? That's some Christian Rock BS! I listen to bands that sound good, if they've got deep lyrics that's an added bonus. King Crimson > All!

+1
I don't care too much for lyrics I listen to the instrumental parts most.
It kinda depends on the band/artist. I'm obviously not going to listen to Bob Dylan for vocal talent, but I also enjoy a lot of artists that have nonsensical or vague lyrics like Beck and the Flaming Lips. A big part of it is the attitude; if lame lyrics are tounge-in-cheek and humorous it fine, but if they're taken seriously it can get a little annoying.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Artistic vision/creativity is top spot for me, but they have to be musicially talented to truly be creative in my opinion. Maybe not talented in the conventional way, but innovative. So basically it takes a good balance.
that's like saying bob dylan and neil young are bad because they have crap voices (which they do i'll admit, i'm a huge fan of both).
Quote by Landmines
Me and my friend were sitting around the day listening to music. I put on some Dead Kennedy's, after a few minutes he said that he could never listen to that stuff because Jello is an awful singer. I let him change the music, so he put on some stuff by some band (sorry I don't remember the name), and they had a good singer, but the lyrics were water downed and seemed very generic.

So we argued about which was more imporant techinal abilities or message.

After letting this simmer for a few days, I was wondering what other people though.

I for one enjoy Jello's vocals.

But yes, very generic or poor lyrics can easily detract from good vocals and sometimes even the music itself. I was listening to Weezer's new album and all I could think about was how stupid and terrible the lyrics were, despite the music and vocal talent.

That's not to say a song is entirely dependent on lyrics, just saying.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
by the way, jello is an awesome singer and great frontman. without them, the kennedys wouldn't have even existed.
on the poll you should have "a good mix of technical abilities and feeling/expression" though, more easily applied to an instrument than vocals unless youre brad delp haha
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
musical talent and technical ability should definately be 2 different options
Quote by DayTripper1967
by the way, jello is an awesome singer and great frontman. without them, the kennedys wouldn't have even existed.

Without him they're worthless. (Youtube the new incarnation. Jello was the band.)
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
The only thing that matters to me is if I like it or not.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
If you think message is more important, then go listen to a ****ing preacher.

Music is music, and it's about what sounds good. Yes, message is a bonus - but if you'll listen to someone you perceive to be a bad singer because you like their lyrics, you might as well just read some poetry.
I've been here since '04.

it's too generic a question to answer properly. If you like something about the band, then listen to it. I'm not even sure what to say.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Texture, atmostphere, and feel.

It people feel uncomfortable when listening to a song, they'll turn it off. It doesn't matter how technically proficient you are with your compositions, if it doesn't feel right, then you've lost them right off.

Message and attitude, IMO, are all about the lyrics, and not a lot to do about the music.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
It doesn't require an immense amount of talent to have high technical abilities. In fact, I would say talent isn't that important.

Honestly, all I care about is the way music makes me feel, and if I like the feelings it gives me, then I don't care about anything else. Yes, I believe Composers like Prokofiev or Ravel were far more talented than bands like Underworld, but I still prefer music from Underworld.

Franz Liszt was a far superior pianist to Debussy, and a more prolific and notable composer, however I'd listen to Debussy over Liszt any day.

I like to sometimes listen to crazy difficult music like this (1:36 - 1:50 is awesome):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bSPDmQtWPak

But I still like to sit back and listen to music like this (It gets cool at 4:02 when the piano-like instrument comes in):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ODI9qDnt72M&feature=related
Anyone can make good music, but passion makes it GREAT music.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

its a combination of bolth
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
Quote by Free Time

Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.

Who knows the quote?
for the music and sound, but good lyrics is a plus. complexity is cool too.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Jackal58
The only thing that matters to me is if I like it or not.

Nice one, sir. I commend your innate wisdom.

Also, que?
what would AC/DC be without attitude? what would Vai be without technical ability?

i dont really know where im going with this but i know there is a point in there somewhere.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
I tend to like music that sounds good. If the message is good that's nice but it wouldn't matter in a bad song.
I'll listen to good music with less than spectacular lyrics but crap music with amazing "message" is just crap.
You can have a great sound that conveys your music well and no technical ability ( Lou Reed, Jello)...
Dead Kennedys are honestly one of the only punk bands I can stand.

But I'd say the most important thing in music is....err...music. Not message. If some crazy tonedeaf man banged on an acoustic guitar with a broom shouting some messages that I agreed with 100%, I still wouldn't buy his cd, because it's just a speech with some music attached onto it (Unless he somehow happened to make a real neato avant-garde composition).

Now, if you could have a strong message with good music behind it (E.g: Rage against the machine, Viggo Mortensen with Buckethead, Immortal Technique, etc), then that's great. But, ultimately, it's music. If music was mostly about vocal messages and attitude, wouldn't instrumental music be kinda pointless?